interesting unit

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

j_nigrelli

interesting unit

Post by j_nigrelli »

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2607&highlight=

(you may have to scroll to the middle of the page)
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Oh yes, I know that truck! Michael and I exchanged quite a few emails back in 1999 - 2000. I may even still have some of the construction photos and a pic or two of the truck sitting in, like, three feet of snow in the driveway of the house that it is pictured with. I'll have a look around and see if I still have any of those images.
j_nigrelli

Post by j_nigrelli »

too funny!

the "housetruck brotherhood" is certainly a tight knit group even though it is spread worldwide.

and here i was thinking i discovered something new....
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

If I have images of that truck, they will be on some backup discs, I'll have to look around some more. From the emails I do have, it looks like the pictures were sent as attachement several hard drive crashes ago...

Here is some more information about the truck from one of the emails:

[quote="Michael"]Thank you for putting together a great site, I'm not generally the net-surfing kind. I think the whole hype of the net is a bit unpalatable. I am however into my 4th year of putting together a childhood dream!

When Jane Lidz's book was published in 1979 I purchased a softback copy which is now so dog-eared and falling apart, I have been contemplating reassembling it into one of those small ring binders.

My project is now in the framing stage on the back of a 1952 3 ton International. I tell people that I'm building a mobile cottage when they inquire. The first 3 years were spent fixing the truck converting it to 12 volt, redoing the brakes, and all the myriad of other jobs to make the truck safe and roadworthy.

My father in law just gave me 13 sheets of 3/8â€
j_nigrelli

Post by j_nigrelli »

they are a welcoming bunch of chaps and would probably get a hoot out of that.

and... you may end up being a model railroader after all!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Just to show that I am capable of recovering long-lost files, here's a piccy from a CD-ROM that I burned with data salvaged from a February, 2001 hard disk crash:

There were three others, but this is the best. All of the images had been compressed before sent in th email, so much so that the artifacts were disturbing. If any people were in the picture, they would be writhing around in pain from the pixelization...

I registered at the forum, but haven't been sent an activation confirmation email yet, so no surprise posts.
Mikem

Post by Mikem »

Sharkey thanks for posting the pic, Tis funny how some things come back to stare you in the face, Glad you registered on the Gn15 forum, and i will have to update your link on my own website, more about that later.

I posted a couple of pics in the introduction on the other thread. and here are a couple more.
This first shot is during the last winter and there was a bit of snow, the truck is parked at the moment with a lean to of salvaged material and the whole is acting as a temporary cotage while I build a new home on the ground.

The next shot is of the inside of the lean to with the green side of the truck to the right side. when the truck is moved in the late fall or early part of next year I will also redo the roof of the truck.
Basically I screwed up on the topping of the original truck roof and so I did get some leakage. the other thing is I need to replace some wood on the drivers side. One day last spring I was sitting having a cup of coffee when all these ants started coming out of the light switch above the sink in the truck. Some panicking and ant spray later, I discovered that the ants had made a home in a couple of studs on the drivers side because some wood was leaning up against the truck as part of a wood shed. I removed the offending rotten plywood but still need to replace the eaten wood. the ands are gone now.

When I move the truck it will get a bit of reworking. but not much.

Mike