The Heating Thread

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ajsmedm

The Heating Thread

Post by ajsmedm »

Hey again i thought i would start this thread in order to have a collected place for advices and inspiration on heating systems in a bus enviroment.

me myself im thinking of going for a wood stove and run the present water based heating system through the stove. (might need a pump for this and to be able to shut the system of the engine?)

also ive heard about these Ebersprecher Diesel heating kind of systems. any experiences?

alternative heating sources`? 12v radiators and sun cells? does this work?
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

On the topic of heating:

No sense even discussing electric heating unless you are connected to the power mains, way too much consumption for batteries or solar power.

A variety of liquid-fueled heaters exist. Most are of the "furnace" design, and also consume a fair amount of electric power to run the circulating blowers and/or combustion blower. The ESPAR/Ebersprecher heaters are known to be high quality and effective, but they are also noisy and require external power. If you don't mind noise and are driving frequently to keep the batteries charged (or have mains power), these might be alright. The do need a steady supply of petroleum fuel, though. This means money and frequent tank filling.

Wood is a good choice if you are stationary and don't have authorities who are going to give you grief over the fact that you are living in a bus/truck. It's hard to hide the smoke coming out your flue. Wood heat on the road depends on a steady supply of firewood, which is hard to haul along in any quantity. Burning construction debris and old shipping pallets is one option if you are travelling.

Heating water with coils inside a wood stove can be very dangerous, the possibility of steam explosion is always a risk if the system is not designed right. I heat much of my domestic water in the winter using large "coffee boiler" containers. This also gives a bit of reserve heat in case the fire dwindles.

If you are moving every day, the best way to heat water is with excess engine heat. Save up enough hot water and you could use some of it to heat the interior after the engine is turned off.

Use the "search" feature on the forum, many of these subjects have already been discussed. I dug up a few already, but much more exists.
Jerry Campbell

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Hi Ya'll,
We have been in northern Minnesota for the last week. This is the first time I've really used my little wood stove and I have to say it it the best I've ever had in many mobile rigs. It used about I would say 3 cubic feet of wood in that time. I carry about 4 cubic feet with me. I am thoroughly convinced that the size of the stove makes all the difference. Almost everyone ,including me, I've ever seen has had a stove that was too big. This stove uses pieces of wood about 8" long and 2" to 3" in diameter. The quality and evenness of wood heat is unbeatable. We have been roasty toasty.
I put in a 30'000 btu forced air unit with a thermostat this last summer to help in the middle of the night when the fire got low in the wood stove. It is noisy and blows hot air in your face but does it's job.
We are now in Sioux falls, SD headed for arizona.
Jerry
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I bet Minnesota is pretty right now. We were there a month ago and it was just starting to cool down and get some color. Gonna go back again.