Different Wisdom

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Re: Different Wisdom

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

It's nice to get away but it's also good to get back to home base 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Great news! All my electrical issues are apparently resolved. I got back from Atlanta at 8:00 P.M. yesterday after driving over 500 miles and spending a couple hours in a scrap yard that has some busses. Also got to meet an incredibly helpful fellow in person and tour his fine conversion based on a 2000 Model Gillig Phantom. Connected with him on http://www.busconversions.com

I came home with a used-but-guaranteed Delco 50DN belt drive alternator and a late model Vanner 100 amp battery equalizer. The Vanner had not been tested, but it was the only one available, so I had no choice. The only issue with my old alternator is that it leaks some oil. I bought the newer one as a spare since I was there and it was cheap enough. I plan to replace the front seal in my old one after October.

Today I started at daylight, but it took most of the morning to pull/clean/treat and reinstall wires at the starter and rear positive buss bar. It might have gone more quickly if the air was up. A low floor is a challenge to get under even with air, and Sophia has not wanted to start, even with charged batteries, since we arrived home Wednesday. Pushing the starter button resulted only in a click as the solenoid energized. I had to wiggle starter wires a couple times on the PA trip even with charged batteries. AFAIK, this is a separate issue from our charging system trouble.

Clean, tight wire connections not only fixed the starter issue, it also made the tail lights and rear half of the side marker lights come back on. This also started on the recent trip, and I have no idea how to explain the connection. I suppose it was an issue at the rear positive bus bar. Now we're up and running within a second of hitting the starter as it should be.

The best news of the day is the charging system. I finally learned the process of testing a Vanner without an ammeter. You turn on the high beams, read voltage between Vanner ground terminal and 24v terminal, and then read between ground and the Vanner 12v terminal. The second reading should be exactly half the first. I don't have the numbers from the old unit in front of me, but it was more than 3/10 of a volt off. That meant my old Vanner was bad as I had come to suspect. The new (used) unit read 24.51v and 12.25v with the headlights on. Motor was off for both tests. This 1/100 of a volt is within the limits of my meter which only has two decimal places. With the new unit installed and the motor running, voltage at the batteries read 13.75 and 13.72. Much better than before. Best of all, the headlights do not look dim with the motor running. That was driving me crazy before all the other stuff started last Friday.

Now for the down side, and it's not horrible. I noticed after I had the motor running with the new Vanner that the squeal I had previously thought was alternator was in fact the belt tensioner. A shot of lithium grease in the tensioner pulley changed the tone of the squeal. When I looked more closely, it was obvious that the tensioner pulley has some slop and was allowing the serpentine to slightly rub a steel cover on the front of the engine. I wouldn't leave town with a tensioner in that shape, much less start an 1100 mile trip.

I couldn't find a tensioner anywhere within driving distance. Ended up ordering one from Mohawk Mfg. in Illinois. Darryl (my new friend in Atlanta) made that connection for me. I had forgotten about Mohawk even though I had purchased a few things from them for our Flx Metro. $72.44 plus UPS and we should have it on Tuesday. Fleet Pride wanted $90 and Wednesday delivery. Car Quest wanted $108 including shipping with Tuesday delivery. NAPA quoted $180 and the end of next week. We wanted to head toward Ocracoke on Sunday, but I guess we'll wait until Tuesday. Won't hurt me to have some extra time to do plumbing and carpentry.

Thanks to all who followed this situation and offered encouragement. I love this group.

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

So much has happened since I last had time to post. New skin is done. New tanks are in. Most of the plumbing is done, even though kitchen counter and bathroom walls are in temporary form. We've been rushing to get Sophia in livable form so we could make a long-planned trek to Ocracoke. Between the electrical trouble we had going to Pennsylvania in early October and the rush to build livable plumbing after that, we were delayed by over a week. No matter. We made it to the island last Friday night, and we're having a wonderful time.

I've begun a travelog on http://www.busconversions.com in the Bus Travel & Use section. Here's the link: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index ... ic=28203.0

It starts with a lengthy diatribe about how we fell in love with Ocracoke many years ago. If you can wade through that, I'll post some photos of the current trip later today.

The bus is doing great. I may have a cold water leak, but it's too early to tell. Running fine and the problems with the battery equalizer are gone. I'm planning to install the newer alternator I got in Atlanta after we return. The old one leaks and squeals a bit under load. Still making power, though, and she always starts quickly and idles like a champ.

Here's one shot of us on the Swan's Quarter Ferry. I spent most of the two-and-a-half hour ride talking about our bus. You must know how I hated that.

Best to all,

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I should have been more clear about the possible "cold water leak." I'm talking about the engine cooling system rather than my new house plumbing. I had to add several gallons of coolant before we left home, and I had to add again after the first night's stay. The second add may have been the result of a bubble I did not fill the first time. It's not needed more since then. I've had a couple of diesel trucks through the years that lost some water while sitting but not while running. We always called that "cold water leak", and that's what I was referencing.

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Here's a bit of build update. All this was done in a rush following our limp back from Pennsylvania on October 6-8, my drive to Atlanta and back on the 9th and a long day of mechanics on the 10th. First, I finished hooking to the new 100 gallon fresh tank sitting in its new, oak cabinet under the bed. I'd like to post a few shots of that phase of the build, but I was apparently to busy to think of pictures.

The new waste tank got better coverage. Here are some of those shots:

Those marvelous, self-sealing grommets are made by Uniseal. The folks who made the new waste tank put me onto them. Best way I've ever seen for putting a pipe through a wall. I bought a 3" and some 2" ones from the tank seller. The 1-1/2" ones I found online from a marine supplier in Florida. They're rated for 40 lbs of pressure.

On the new bathroom sub floor, I moved the shower away from the bus wall by 1-1/2". This gives me a good space for running water lines, but I'm not sure that I have a good photo:

A year after building it, I finally got to hook up my cold water manifold:

The manifold works perfectly, but the pressure tank will be moved after this trip. I have a similar but smaller hot manifold above the cold. When I hooked it up, I discovered that our Rheem tankless water heater has an internal leak. No doubt from last winter. Fixing that has to wait until we're back from Ocracoke.

We had no time (or extra money) for the permanent kitchen counter and sink, so I pulled the sink we saved from our old bus and did a temporary setup. I've tried to post a photo, but TinyPic has stopped responding, so I'll end for now. Should have more tomorrow.

Best to all,

Jim
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Jim, I see that your pressure tank is located quite close to your water pump---could it be moved, say 10 feet away and still work? I put in a new high pressure, higher flow pump on the half of the water supply that serves the inlet to the on - demand water heater and while it works great it does hammer the lines. Drives me nuts and wakes the dead. The catch is that I can't locate a pneumatic damper anywhere near the pump and still have it inside the bus ( trying to avoid freezing issues by keeping the water system within the insulated portion of the bus). What are your thoughts? Thanks, Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Jim,
Looking good. I did the same thing on the vent stack. Works great even on a curved roof.

Jack,
Did you use "soft" lines to and from the pump? I have one of the high pressure (highest I could find) pumps, no pressure tank and I can't even hear the pump running. I did have to find hose that would withstand the pressure. None of that clear stuff is rated high enough at temps over 70 deg.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

ol trunt wrote:Hey Jim, I see that your pressure tank is located quite close to your water pump---could it be moved, say 10 feet away and still work?
Jack, I can't speak here with any authority, but I see no reason why distance would make a difference. A typical deep well pump might be hundreds of feet away from the pressure tank mounted in or near the house. I've intentionally used a larger tank than the typical rv unit. My tank has — I think — one gallon capacity and is made to use as a damper on the top of a water heater. My new 24v pump works great, makes plenty of pressure and we have no hammering. After we get home, and I can install a pressure gauge, I'll do final adjustment on the pressure tank. I like to set static pressure there at two pounds less than what the pump is generating. Make that adjustment with the pump off and no pressure in the water lines. As I mentioned earlier, I will put the tank somewhere else in the final arrangement. It's currently occupying floor space in what will be my closet.

Dick, I'd be interested in knowing more about this pump that you can't hear run. Our Seaflow brand pump is flawless in action, but it's not the quietest thing on the block.

Jim
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Jim,
My pump is an Aquatec model 55-aquajet-arv 5.3 GPM 65-85 PSI, mounted on rubber isolators, I think they came with it, don't remember.
I also isolated it from the pex with rubber hoses. It's mounted in one of the baggage compartments so, it's a bit farther away than yours.
Like I said earlier, that clear vinyl hose with the webbing isn't up to the task, it ballooned after a while. I got some hydraulic hose rated at 300 lbs.
I know it's black and not not rated for drinking water but I don't drink the water from fresh tanks. Anyway, I still drink from a garden hose. :shock:
How did we ever survive this long? Anyway, I have to listen real close to tell if the pump is running.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I had a great nap late in the day. I'm on vacation, and I'm awake and alert at midnight — a rarity for me. Image hosting seems to be working. Believe I'll try to catch up the build thread.

I mentioned last update that we're using a temporary kitchen counter and sink arrangement. Looks like this:

I hate to think how many times over the years I've cobbled together faucets from a couple valves and a few fittings. This one works surprisingly well. Using this temporary sink has helped us rethink the size and location of a permanent one.

Before our recent Pennsylvania trip, I managed to build the copilot seat platform. It mounts a seat from our old motorhome. Bev says it is surprisingly comfortable, and it has lots of adjustment. After the floor is furred and insulated, I'll be able to bolt this down permanently. It will, of course, be painted, but none of the steel will show in the final arrangement. The underside will be a large drawer that pulls out toward the driver:

Not much more to report. Some of you know that we're vacationing. First week of November we'll be back into a frenzy of bus work. Much to do before serious winter. If the weather cooperates, we'll get her painted. If not, we'll still be rushing to get insulation and finished walls done, build the wood stove mount and hearth, put permanent walls around the bathroom and tile the bathroom floor.

Here's one of the places we stay on Ocracoke:

And here's a glimpse of yesterday's sunrise:

I'll say more when I've done more. Best to all.

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I've updated my travelogue on BCM. Here's the link: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index ... ic=28203.0

Impossible for us to "blend in."

Best to all,

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Got back from our long trip on Saturday. Seems like all I've done since then is work on or around the bus, but not much to show. Here are a couple of little things:

I read a web site called The Boat Galley. Woman and her husband live aboard a sailboat. Her experience in cooking under cramped, moving conditions is extensive, and her information is always helpful. While we were on Ocracoke, I read her suggestion to put a string of white Christmas lights around the cabin area for mood lighting and a little light to move around. I pulled up eBay and found a 5m string of 24v LED lights with no reserve and only .01 bid 24 hours before closing. I placed a small bid and bought the string for .21. It was waiting when we returned. Got it put up (in temporary location, sigh) today. Imagine my surprise when I hooked it up and nearly seared my optic nerve. In daylight! Here are a couple of shots. The string is so bright that you can't see individual bulbs in the photo.

I have five feet of this string inside the temporary bathroom before what you see in the kitchen. I'm sure we'll figure out a way to use this string of lights, but not for mood lighting.

I'm not proud of it, but Sunday I stuck the tiny wood stove back on the same crummy concrete blocks that held it up last winter. I promise it will not stay on that mount long, but it's been too cold the past few days to not have heat. You'll have to admit that it looks better than it did last season:

And for those who have not read my travelogue on BCM, here is a shot of Sophia at South Mountain State Park here in North Carolina:

We enjoyed three lovely days there on our way back from the coast.

My paint man is going to be here tomorrow. If I can get my big air compressor running, we should get lots of prep work done. Wish me luck.

Best to all,

Jim

P.S. Dennis, thanks for your response. I hope to have time to answer tomorrow.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

In almost every picture I see of your bus it would appear as if the suspension is always down.

Does your air system bleed off that quickly or do you purposely dump the air out of the suspension?

What do you do to stabilze/level the bus when parking?

On another forum one convertor installed what looks to be trailer landing gear on all four corners with an electric motor to power them up and down.

I would imagine that not only will they be able to lift each corner if necessary but when deployed there will be virtually no wiggle from the suspension.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Mark R. Obtinario wrote:Do you purposely dump the air out of the suspension? — What do you do to stabilze/level the bus when parking?
Mark, I always park in the "kneel" position. Makes it even a little easier to step in and out. This bus never had a front door, and "kneel" lowers all four corners, but the front drops a little more than the rear.

It is remarkably stable whether up or knelt. I could imagine putting stabilizers at the corners, but I don't yet feel much need. We get a little shake in high winds, but not much. I wonder if our stability is related to the 8 airbag system. You would know more about that than I do.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

The 8-bag system would tend to make a pretty stable platform.

Lowering it all the way down every time would make it pretty solid.

I can also appreciate the shorter step in and out. The older I get the less I want to have to stretch to go up and down steps.

The fact you have a relatively small sail area (compared to a motorcoach with a roof raise at 13'6") it would make sense you don't get a lot of shaking going on.