Different Wisdom

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Re: Different Wisdom

Post by Lostranger »

somewhereinusa wrote: How did you add 10 feet to the left side and only 5 to the right?
I have no idea, Dick, and it's driving me nuts. I need to figure out what happened and see if I can even the stretch. I hate the way it crabs down the road. The new interior space is lopsided, too.

While I'm pondering that issue, I'll post a few new shots:

I ended up with three distinct types of window: The four new Hehr sliders in the living area, a new, larger slider at the passenger seat, and the original driver's window. Each type required a unique corner radius. I used a lid from a citronella candle for the passenger window, a sauce pan lid for the Hehrs and a dinner plate for the driver's window. Hard to believe the corners could be that different.

Got a good bit done inside today. No photos yet. Stay tuned.

Best to all.

Jim
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

I don't think a scared nanny pushing a pram and trying to get out of your way is even going to notice the arcs don't match. Actually none of the rest of us will see it either. Nice windows and a fine job of installation. Jack
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Saturday morning October 4. We're broke down near Harrisburg, PA. In a good location at a heavy truck repair shop that belongs to an old friend.

Looks like our alternator is bad. We're at our destination. We have four people with us, and we're playing Bluegrass gospel music this weekend for a couple of churches. We'll probably send the other musicians home in a rental car Sunday afternoon. That will give us time first of the week to find an alternator or a rebuilder. Stay tuned.

If you know of a source in central PA, chime in.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Monday, October 6. Looks like our core problem may be a bad Vanner unit. Doing more research now. We're broke down a long way from home, but we're in a good place among friends.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hoped to hear good news today. How are things going and what have you learned? Jack
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Just have a moment before we hit the road. We've slow charged the batteries, and we're heading toward home. All indications are still that we have a bad Vanner converter, but I've not been able to acquire a clamp on ammeter to make the final test. My contact in Georgia who is well versed in Gillig electrics says that if we drive in daylight without 12v loads — primarily lights — and don't stop the engine, we should make it home. We're setting out just at daylight. Possible rain could scuttle our plans, but we can stay somewhere if necessary and recharge using our house system.

I've arranged to buy a good used Vanner out of Atlanta. I may have to drive there to get it. If I do, I plan to also buy a good alternator since ours is leaking. We might be able to have the Vanner shipped.

We've had a grand time with dear friends, and we look forward to getting home late today or tomorrow. I will post an update whenever and wherever we stop for the day.

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

We made it to near Wytheville, VA before being stopped by rain. Running trickle charger from house system. We'll hit it again at early light. We're fine.

Jim
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

It is no fun to be out on the road and having issues.

The upside for you is you don't have to look for a motel room for the night at the end of the day.

Vanner units are great until they stop working. In my experience run next to forever without ever having a hiccup and then one day HICCUP! When that happens, unless you can get down inside the guts and figure out what went flooey it is much easier to replace the old one or sent it out to be rebuilt.

Good luck and happy trials, not trails this time--:)
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Always great to hear from you, Mark. We're replacing the thing when we get back. I may even be able to buy a good used spare. This experience has been wonderfully educational, and we're having a good time.

Jim
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Good as in what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? :)

What exactly is your Vanner doing or not doing? They are pretty fool proof and really don't break very often.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Not able yet to do final test. What I know is that A battery goes down and B battery is over charged. A battery is 12v source. I plan to run diagnostic procedure with ammeter when we get home.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Made it home at noon on Wednesday. Going to Atlanta on Thursday to pick up a good used alternator and a Vanner equalizer. My present alternator is putting out, but it leaks. I'll be surprised if the Vanner doesn't fix our problem, but I'm testing both units.

I'll spend the rest of today on plumbing and related work.

Jim
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Jim, glad you made it home safe and sound! Jack
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

ol trunt wrote:Jim, glad you made it home safe and sound! Jack
Thanks, Jack. We are safe and sound. It was a good trip in spite of mechanical challenges.

I have some other electrical issues. I'll be gone all of tomorrow, but Friday will find me pulling/cleaning/tightening connectors as well as testing/installing Vanner. We're trying to leave for Ocracoke ASAP. Won't leave until I'm confident electric stuff is in hand.

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I'm in Marietta, GA waiting to meet my Gillig parts contact. As a bonus, I get a tour of Cobb Couty Transit. I'll try to get some photos.

Jim