1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

roach711

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by roach711 »

My in-dash battery gauge is dead so I picked up that same plug in DC meter. Works fine except that it reads about .5 volt low. Now I use the Trimetric battery minder instead.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Roach, I haven't zeroed in my $3 volt meter yet but it looks like it also reads .5 volts low--I can live with that for now.

Very slow progress this week. I've been building the kitchen counter and rather than being able to just weld things up I've had to make up a whole lot of small threaded brackets (think modular counter) so I can remove the various kitchen components should they need repair. Another problem centers on the fact that all the foam insulation is installed and makes it tricky to weld without setting the bus on fire. I still have welding to do for drawers and cupboard doors etc but I think those welds should be well out of the high fire risk areas--we'll see. Jack

Here are a few pics of the counter.Image

roach711

Post by roach711 »

Progress!
ol trunt wrote:Hello All. Roach, I haven't zeroed in my $3 volt meter yet but it looks like it also reads .5 volts low--I can live with that for now.
Those are handy little devils even if they aren't dead accurate. I keep mine in the tool box now for quick checks on the batteries in the cars. Way quicker than pulling out the VOM.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Special day today--my new windows arrived. After being jerked around by a local window supplier who kept "remembering" things he left off my order, an activity I went along with until his original bid had doubled and I cried Uncle. I eventually ordered windows through Home Depot sight unseen for about half the original window guy's estimate. Final price for 4 dual glaze low "E" tempered 1/8" glass complete with screens and cut to order $349.00. 8)

Now I'll admit that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to making measurements. I always measure for "exact" size and never leave any room for things that may be out of square like 80 ish year old bus windows. The new windows were a bit of a tight fit but after a couple of hours I had learned what needed to be shaved to make a fit :banghead: . After the first window the others were easy and I'm thrilled with the result. The mfg is Jeldwen Inc and the model is Summit 100 series. The quality is very good--all aluminum frame etc.

Outside view of the new window in place for the first time. Image

Same window from the inside. Image
tango

Post by tango »

Cool beans Jack. Home Depot huh? May have to give them a go myself. I desperately need something beside what I have. The originals open down, which means that there is NO WAY to keep water out of the wall panels. Even with brand new seals they pour rain down inside all of the wall sections.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

'Morning Tango. While I like the drop down window idea best there really isn't any way to keep the water out. If you were to weld a bit of sheet metal over the opening and pull the tracks off the posts I think the Summit windows would work. The depth of the frames is 1.412" which was a perfect match for my bus. When you order specify block wall construction or the windows will come with ears for nailing to studs and they would be a bear to cut off. Jack
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Impressive you were able to get windows to fit from HD.

I have found it difficult to find anyone who knows anything about anything in our local HD.

Nice look.

With the windows in you must be almost in sight of everything put together.

I can hardly wait to see it after it has come out of the paint shop.
roach711

Post by roach711 »

Mark R. Obtinario wrote:I can hardly wait to see it after it has come out of the paint shop.
Roger that.
tango

Post by tango »

Roger the paint shop homecoming --- So Jack...have you decided what colors the flame job will be in?
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I know--"No pressure but just when ARE you going to get that bus done?" Maybe if you guys would just come on over and give me a hand it would actually get to the paint booth! :lol:

Tango, how about ghost flames boiling out of the hood louvers and rolling back to about the second window--no, wait, that is a recurring nightmare I have about the bus catching fire so I guess I'll just skip the flames on this one.

I just put the windows in as a tease. Once I knew they'd fit I took them out again as I still have bits of welding and grinding to do before they can go in for good. I'll spend the weekend working on the counter top, drawers and cupboard doors, maybe I can get that stuff framed out without too much effort. Jack
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I would love to go over and help out. Or at least kibbitz about what you are doing.

The only problem is Winlock, WA is a bit far from where you are to just drop in and say hi. :)
tango

Post by tango »

I would love to drop in myself. But I'd want to bring my bus along to let you apply your magic and finally get something accomplished. Personally, I am really sorry to see you getting so much done. I mean, what the Hell are all of us slackers gonna do with our time when you wrap this puppy up and are no longer posting your progress reports? Without them, we'll have nothing to read and drool over and may actually have to get back to work on our own boring, scummy projects! C'mon Jack...slow it down! Stretch it out! We're all counting on you as someone we can live vicariously through.

Our only hope is that you see fit to start construction on another project soon. Think dirigible camping. It's gonna be the next big thing.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

tango wrote:Think dirigible camping. It's gonna be the next big thing.
Does this mean I am going to have to add another forum? :D
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Stuart, that forum exists here--my bus looks like a blimp and when I'm in it it certainly has enough hot air for lift off.

Now a forum for submarine camping might be worthwhile----
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Jack, I think that is already catered for with the Boats forum.