what is the best diesel and tranny combo? please help

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

tjontour

what is the best diesel and tranny combo? please help

Post by tjontour »

i am looking at busses.
i want a long lasting diesel, reliable, easy to find parts
cummins?
detroit?
cat?
if i knew which engine i wanted, it would make my search much easier.

check this one out!
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct ... 90652.html

thanks...teej
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

That's a neat old bus, thanks for sharing! THe guy sure is proud of it, though. I guess it never hurts to ask! :wink:

Mark
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

TJ, Mark Obtinario and Sharkey are our resident experts on bus engines and trannys. Hopefully, they will see your questions and answer them. I do know, from reading the forums, that the IHC DT466 motor is highly respected. There are explanations from Mark O on some of these forums. I will search them out and post them.
dburt

Post by dburt »

According to the school bus mechanics at 4 school districts that I keep in touch with, the best engine is the IH DT466 coupled to an Allison MT643 if you like an automatic. Otherwise you can go with a 5-spd manual. But it is getting harder to find a DT466 in many applications due to the use of the 7.3L/DT444 engine in many buses. Or the Cat engines! (CAT engines in school buses cause Mark to have serious heartburn!) The mechanics all seem to think the Cummins 5.9L is a good engine coupled to an MT643, and you can find that engine as either a front or rear engine setup. It is a bit underpowered if you are going to end up with a rather heavy rolling home, in the Dodge pickups the engine is rated to a GCVWR of about 18,000-21,000 lbs although it is often asked to haul much much more!

Now when you get into the older Crowns, Gilligs, etc you find the 855, 220 and other Cummins engines which are great, but they are getting harder to find as time goes by.
tjontour

thank you so much

Post by tjontour »

now i can search, with some goals
your friend tj
earthhorns

1958 crown

Post by earthhorns »

Hi TJ, The 58 Crown is up for sale again...see other post under 1958 Crown for sale.
Scott