Here's one worth trying to save

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I think it is very possible. Your IH would tow it no problem, even if it does it very slowly. the problem is stopping it. Also what if the bus you are towing blows three tires?
If it were me I would add the all the cost.

Time to go get it.
Fuel round trip.
Tow bar.
Hooking up brakes in the White bus.
hooking up lights.
Tires?
Trip permit.

Then compare that to what a transport company would charge to drop it off at your door.
It is way safer.
Uship is a good place to check into.

http://www.uship.com/

Chuck
shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

I am trying to find out how long it is from the front bumper to the rear wheels. I found a 24' trailer that would haul it weight wise but don't know about the length. I would much rather trailer it because I don't have to worry about cops, blown tires, wheelbearings, etc. I work fulltime so don't have time to go down, spend a week getting it road worthy and drive it back, as much as I would like too.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

shortbus4x4 wrote:I am trying to find out how long it is from the front bumper to the rear wheels. I found a 24' trailer that would haul it weight wise but don't know about the length. I would much rather trailer it because I don't have to worry about cops, blown tires, wheelbearings, etc. I work fulltime so don't have time to go down, spend a week getting it road worthy and drive it back, as much as I would like too.
I bet it is 38' overall and 29' from the front bumper to the rear of the back tires.
I know this won't help any, but it is fun to guess. :lol:
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

OK, This will make the White worth bid bucks but you'll getter home on this :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUS-EQUI ... 27b1be8321
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

It is just a wee bit out of my price range. If I lived over on I-5 I think it would be a good investment because you could probably make a decent living with it towing broken down buses. The owner of the White says it is approx. 35 feet long and 96 inches wide. If I get it I am thinking about flat towing it home. My tow rig has air brakes, weighs about 13k, and has a pintle hitch in back. Get some magnetic tow lites and a spool of flat 4 trailer wiring and I would be set for the lites. I would put two good tires on front, probably let the rears slide depending on how bad they are dry rotted. I would check the wheelbearings front and rear and lube them if needed before I towed it too. Don't know if I would try to tap into the White's air brakes and hook it to my system or not. Any other ideas or pointers?
graydawg

bus haulin

Post by graydawg »

I have moved 6 different busses with a 28 foot gooseneck trailer all but 1 was full length 66 pass i believe is what they claim, I had to chain my fold over ramps to the rear bumper of the bus, and was pulling with a 04 dodge 4x4 dually, the same truck I have now, I was hotshotting out of LA then and trying to go back in it now, Hey you folks are giving me an incentive to buying a 40 foot gooseneck w/ramps, I could be the official bus relocater of the site. GRAYDAWG's driver JAMES
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

shortbus4x4 wrote:It is just a wee bit out of my price range. If I lived over on I-5 I think it would be a good investment because you could probably make a decent living with it towing broken down buses. The owner of the White says it is approx. 35 feet long and 96 inches wide. If I get it I am thinking about flat towing it home. My tow rig has air brakes, weighs about 13k, and has a pintle hitch in back. Get some magnetic tow lites and a spool of flat 4 trailer wiring and I would be set for the lites. I would put two good tires on front, probably let the rears slide depending on how bad they are dry rotted. I would check the wheelbearings front and rear and lube them if needed before I towed it too. Don't know if I would try to tap into the White's air brakes and hook it to my system or not. Any other ideas or pointers?
Did you score the bus?
Shortbus 4x4

Post by Shortbus 4x4 »

No somebody beat me. My wife is sooo happy.