Super cool Crown on ebay

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

longjohn

Super cool Crown on ebay

Post by longjohn »

this is an awesome crown , seller does not list (to me most important info) engine type , rating, jakes or not.. still is beautiful bus................No dog in this hunt! just thought it is cool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2759.l1259
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

That looks a lot like a San Marcos conversion, the roof-raise gives it away.

Overall, it looks to be a nicely done conversion, and the interior is quite fetching as well.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

There are 2 of these around almost the same, he wanted alot more for it the last time it was up for sale. Sweet job though.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

do you guys know what power plants came in these, there is a 72 crown scoolie on ebay, twin screw mid engine pancake detroit, this add also doesnt state hp rating, maybe some of the crown guys will chime in and help out.............................................................................................

Seller has added
Engine: Cummins engine
Similar to: Diesel Pusher (engine located in the middle)
Related terms: RV, rv, r.v., recreational vehicle, motorhome, motor home, coach, class A, diesel, deisel, rvs, RVs, R.V., motorcoach
(which to me and these are just my thoughts,that he does not know much about it). Googled Cummins pancake engines and it could be from a 220 to a 270 ( not stating facts just what popped up on google) i know nothing about pancake engines , however if used in school bus app must be reliable, anyone use one for over road service?
But take a child Campin,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Crown used two different block sizes of Cummins engines.

The older Crowns used the small cam block and the newer Crowns used the big cam block.

The most common in the older Crowns were the 220 or the turbo'ed 262.

In the newer Crowns they started with the 270 and went up from there. I have seen a few that had 350's and have heard of some that had 400's.

Since the bus in question has round fenders instead of the later flat top fenders the most probable engine is the 220. If it has a turbo it would be the 262.

Hooked up to the 10-speed it would give pretty good hill climbing and top speed, depending on the rear end ratio. But that is a lot of bus to be moving with only 262 HP. Long steep grades like those found in the mountains of the west will mean you will spend a lot of time in the right lane.

As far as dependability is concerned, the 220/262 was a good engine with zillions of miles put on thousands of those engines. The problem with them today is finding anyone who knows much about the small cam engines. It is sort of like finding someone who knows 2-cycle DD's. There is a big difference between those who say they know and those that really know them.

As far as the price is concerned, in this economy he will be lucky to get half of his buy it now price. It is, after all, a conversion done on a platform that is almost forty years old. Newer platforms with more modern power packages aren't selling for his buy it now price. And while the 10-speed wouldn't deter me from considering it, for most people an automatic is preferred.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

It's back with a big time lower price. Must really want to sell
But take a child Campin,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Thats the trouble with the skoolie rigs. Guys put tons of time and money in to these rigs and at the end of the day, there still school buses. So unless they trip over somebody with deep pockets thats looking for something unique they just will never get there money back :roll: I think its a great looking rig but 50 grand for a "custom" skollie, I just don't think he will get 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.