When at the end of the road

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

My first thought was "wow". 8)

My second thought was "Why is Dennis looking at coffins at 5am in the morning?" :shock: :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
dburt

Post by dburt »

To be buried in that when you die? Now that's what I call really livin'! :D
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

So, im twisted, So :roll:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Little more elaborate than what I have planned. I got a book a few years ago at Woodcraft, I think, that was about building your own coffin. Very compelling idea to me. Plan to use red cedar - kind of like what I am going to use for some things in the bus. Another good use of the sawmill.

Am getting older and haven't made them yet (1 for me, 1 for wifey), so guess I better get started soon....will just have to store them until I need it.

Only big question is how to move the thing around for burial when it has to be big enough for me and the bike??
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

For me a wood chipper will do. I want the least spent on me and the most spent on the party.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Dennis have you thought this business plan through, (you stab um we slab um, the perfect gift for a ex wife or mother in law, could maybe get OJ for a spokesperson, he's got time now ) the funeral homes will object unless you cut them in on the profit. but it just may work :roll: :idea:
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are two pics of the Airstream coffin.

This is a full size coffin carved in wood and painted by Anum with a fabric resting liner inside. Made in Ghana where this tradition began. Made in 1995 by the Kane Kwei disciple Nii Anum. It's in excellent condition. Dimensions: 96L x 28W x 40H inches.

In Ghana, funerals are both important ritual and decadent affair. Children of the deceased are assigned new parents, and mourners spend days in heartfelt conversation with their lost loved ones. Women give the body a ritual bath and set out objects the person will need in the afterlife - a spoon for tea, a clean t-shirt, and perhaps a comb. Money, wrapped in a cloth, is waved over the face of the deceased so they will know how much friends and family have donated toward the cost of the funeral.
Kane Kwei was born in Teshi in the 1920s and began as a carpenter, making not only furniture but also coffins. A man named Ata Owoo made coffins for tribal chiefs. One of Ata Owoo's most talented young apprentices was Kane Kwei, was powerfully inspired by the chief's cocoa-pod coffin. When Kane's grandmother died in 1951, he built a coffin just for her -- shaped like an airplane. People loved that airplane coffin so much that Kane Kwei understood that he'd found his true calling. He opened his own shop and started making custom coffins symbolic of the deceased's status and worldly occupation: boats for fleet owners; fish or crabs or lobsters for fishermen; cows and bulls for breeders; lions and leopards for hunters; cocoa pods, peppers, green onions or corn cobs for farmers." Nii Anum was one of his apprentices and now has his own studio.

Got love? Give love.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Bury me in a plain plywood box, or did I hear something about cardboard coffins that are environmentally friendly.

Or wrap me in a blanket and plant me under a tree

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

You got it right, Lois. Back to the earth. But us big city folk gotta go up in smoke because of health codes. <g>

People trying to make like they ought'a not touch dust even after they're gone - seem real _peculiar_! Or maybe it's their relatives that are the ones...

Rufus
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I have let my family know and also in my will that I prefer to be cremated, and my ashes scattered going down the road in some of my favorite spots, nothing spactacular, just a very simple ceromony, I hope there will be enough money left for a small party to celebrate my passing on to a new LIFE or existance, what ever happens is OK with me. I feel that my Indian heritage of burning a body trumps any piece of expensive real estate in a cemetary. It is just my personal opinion and not meant to reflect on the views of this web site or anyone involed in its promotion or existance. This post is not meant to excite a religious riot or negative opinions anywhere, it is just my personal preference. Hopefully the here after is a kinder, gentler existance, no one knows for sure, everyone is just depending on faith, and sure not going to buy a 8x35 foot plot to bury me in my bus, the cemetary would probably want to charge for the benches, patio area and full hookups.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
dburt

Post by dburt »

Mr Percy and his buddy Mr Graham were notified of thier good friend, Mr Charwell's sudden death at the ripe old age of 83 of a sudden heart attack.
They made plans to attend the funeral.

During the service they were suprised to learn that thier dearly departed friend had made plans to be buried in his favorite fishing boat, holding his favorite fishing pole with one of his best cigars between his teeth. They decided they would not miss the graveside ceremony- they had to witness this grand event :lol:

As Mr Charwell's boat was slowly backed into the large hole dug in the graveyard, his pole held tightly between his hands, with the big Cuban stogey in his mouth, his friends could only look on in amazement and say "Man, that guy really knows how to live large! :D "
Jesper The Dane

Post by Jesper The Dane »

In Denmark cremation places are being connected to the local heatingsupply. A lot of people think to let all that good heat go to waste, is inappropiate. So I'm definitely going to be cremated.

Since I always have made so much of my own stuff, I will also make my own coffin. I'll put it on wheels, so the wife can roll me downhill on her own, in case nobody's left to help her. ;o)
splummer

Post by splummer »

well all i got to say to that is get out side and do something constructive and enough of this talk :lol: :lol:
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

I agree, death can be a bit of a bummer. I've lost several close friends in the last few years and I have given up going to funerals.

Doing a joint farewell tea for my parents was the last straw, even though Dad died 15 years before Mum.

I'll help clean up after the funeral is over and comfort whatever family there is, but no more funerals for me!

Lois
Bash On Regardless!