Free Tv?

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Free Tv?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey, have any of you ever heard of or have one of these boxes? http://www.roku.com/roku-products
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

yes...they do work like they say.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm, will it work wit the cantenna i wonder? :roll:
Peace along the way
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hi Dennis, I came across one of these things a little over a year ago. I wasn't that interested due to limited programming available at the time and didn't know that it had wireless capability (the operator had it plugged into his DSL service).

Just got off chat with Roku support and it looks like unit has built in antenna only (kinda like a laptop) which means limited range.

I'm sort of in the same position as you as I use free city provided wi-fi and need an external high gain antenna for access.

I will be researching this thing further to see what will be needed to make it work (if possible) for folks like us. I'll keep you posted.

Tom
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Is this kind of the same functionality that you get with a PS3 type thing - Netflix, etc?? Or Wii, or Xbox??

Grandkid has an Xbox and keeps after me to get Netflix so can stream and play movies with it.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

I don't know as I'm not at all familiar with the PS3, Wii, or Xbox. You would have to check with that item's support folks to find out about what sort of video services they have access to.

Tom
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

They appear to have all the same logos on the box.

Well, I won't get any of those for a while, until I get a TV that justifies it.
Maybe later this year.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

When you get your new TV, just remember to get one capable of 1080p resolution (if over 40" screen) and use the HDMI connection.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Yeah, definitely.

I bought a 25" monitor a couple months ago. Samsung. Get full 1080HD and it has built in TV tuner. Perfect for trailer, just too small for house.

Have been looking at 42" screens. Even those are kind of big for the room, but will be more like a theater.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

FYI 42" screen is not too big. With the advent of HDTV, being close to a large viewing screen is no longer an issue. With old television, the lines of resolution was an issue if you were too close to the screen, not to mention potential X-ray exposure. These days, big is beautiful.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I love looking at HDTV. I go into Sam's Club and am mesmorized. Wife has to pull me away.

Room is only 12' in long direction, so I step off that distance at the store to watch. Very nice at 42". I think 55" would be too much - would have to spin my head back and forth too much.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

My room (office) is only 9X12. I used to have a 46" Sony Bravia HDTV until our living room set went belly up and the wife took it. I would have had a larger set, only that the 46" set was the largest that would fit in my entertainment cabinet. I'm now using my mom's old (1987) 19" Zenith table top set with a converter box. My cousin has a 54" set in his living room and he watches it from about 12 to 14 feet away with no problem. He has had this set up for over a year now and is very happy with it.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hello Dennis, have been doing some checking on the Roku and it looks like the built in wireless or ethernet connection (LAN, cable or DSL router) or nothing. Their top of the line model does have a USB port, but it is input only (memory stick, digital camera input, that sort of thing). It won't work connected to your cantenna. I will check further as to the availability of a LAN to USB adapter or LAN to wireless device. More later..
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Thanks Tom, It would be worth the 100 bucks if I could use it :wink:
Peace along the way
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

No problem Dennis. It would be worth $100 if I could use it as well. We are both in the same boat, except mine doesn't have wheels.