Free Tv?

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hi Dennis, found a LAN to USB adapter on eBay that might work. It is $3.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Dennis, if you haven't yet ordered the LAN-USB adapter, please hold off. I am having doubts about if this arrangement will work. In the meantime, I have sent an email inquiry off to the cantenna's maker for more information. Will let you know when I receive a reply.

Tom
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Roger that
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:wink: http://www.wonderhowto.com/topic/antenna_7d_/

p.s. Dennis....remember I mentioned using a little satellite dish? See the plans for it toward the bottom of page :wink:

And there's just lots of cool stuff here I thought others might enjoy, too :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hi Dennis, have been in contact with Hugh (builder / seller of the cantenna device available on eBay). He is not sure if the Roku will work with his device through an adapter or not. I did look at the item ezrablu sent and see that it would work except it would void any warranties that the Roku comes with.

In the next few weeks I'm going to put together a system similar to Hugh's cantenna and hook it up to my PC (it will take a while since most parts are coming from Hong Kong). When I get it going, I'll transfer it over to a Roku unit thru an adapter and see if I can get it to work.

Will keep you posted / Tom
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Tom...looking forward to your results :thumbup:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Well folks, all the needed items have finally arrived (sans the Roku receiver) and Houston, it looks like we have a problem. The best speed I can receive for my computer is 1 megabit over the wireless and I know it will worsen as spring and summer go forward. There is a large Maple tree between me and the city provided wireless transponder. As the tree greens up, my internet service suffers.

The Roku requires a minimum speed of 1.5 megabits for operation, 3 megabits for fast action (sports, action movies, etc.), and 5 megabits for HDTV. My local DSL service is available in 3 tiers, 768 kilobit, 1.5 meg, and 3 meg (big if on the 3 meg as only if I'm close enough to the local phone company's service repeater). This service (the minimum 768 kilobit) starts at around $30 a month with a 2 year contract... I don't think so.

I did try an inexpensive (cheap Chinese) internet radio / TV plug in player. Other than it immediately set off my computer's spyware detector and could only receive Chinese programming, I guess it wasn't too bad a deal at $4.

I haven't totally given up on this project (the city provided service will give speeds up to 11 megabits under the right conditions). I will be experimenting with antenna types and placement. If all else fails, I will move my computer to the garage (about 300 feet closer to the transponder) and see if things improve.

As far as the Roku boxes go they are priced at $60, $80, and $100 (HDTV model). If I can improve my wi-fi reception, I still might take a chance on the Roku. Also there are 3 other (that I know of) similar devices to the Roku that might work as well or better (am hoping for an external antenna or USB connection). Problem is that I can't remember the names of these products. I do remember that all of them were more expensive than the Roku, the most expensive being around $300.