Hmm };o)

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hmm };o)

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
somewhereinusa

Re: Hmm };o)

Post by somewhereinusa »

Outta my price range :D
splummer

Post by splummer »

i agree its to costley now but many years ago it was pretty cheap to get a rail car or caboose, there was a huge surplus of them ,so lots got scrapped. when we settled here we thought of getting a few but the shipping to our mt was damn near impossible so we built a log cabin enstead, i still think of them or even a storage container or two for a guest house or something
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I called Amtrak once a few years ago (about 15) and they said at that time it was about $250 to connect and then about $2 a mile to travel. That sounded high, but when compared to some alternatives, it was almost feasible.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Stealth Camper wrote:I called Amtrak once a few years ago (about 15) and they said at that time it was about $250 to connect and then about $2 a mile to travel. That sounded high, but when compared to some alternatives, it was almost feasible.
In another decade or two, it may well become comparable with on road costs. But think of the added luxury of traveling in your own rail car!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

stuartcnz wrote:
Stealth Camper wrote:I called Amtrak once a few years ago (about 15) and they said at that time it was about $250 to connect and then about $2 a mile to travel. That sounded high, but when compared to some alternatives, it was almost feasible.
In another decade or two, it may well become comparable with on road costs. But think of the added luxury of traveling in your own rail car!

I love the idea - get a genuine Pullman car and trick it out like they were when they were new...don't think it could get any better than that.

There is a small local rail line that goes between my town and a small neighbor about 15 miles away. In the rail yard in that town there are two Pullmans and a couple other passenger cars that have been there for 50 years...all getting kind of ragged. Have tried to talk to the people but no one around the place admits to who owns them, so am at a dead end. These would be MASSIVE projects and probably cost 1000 times my entire net worth....but it would be SO cool!!