Where Can I Get One?

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

vicmason

Where Can I Get One?

Post by vicmason »

I have a long-standing interest in housetrucks, homemade campers, retrofitted buses, etc. I lived in Eugene for a dozen years and had Jane Lidz' Rolling Homes when it was new. However, I never have developed the skills to create my own rolling live-in artwork. Where can I find one "already done?" I scan Ebay, Craigslist, and other sources frequently but rarely do I see a conversion made by an artisan. I'm talking about the cedar-shingled, stained-glass, woodstove varieties. Is there a clearinghouse for these old rigs when the owners decide to sell?
captainkf

Post by captainkf »

Every now and then they come through ebay, but ehat is the only place I have ever seen them for sale. Have you considered trying to design one, building one and hiring craftspeople to help you with the things you are unwilling to attempt? Just a thought. It really isn't as scary as it seems to tackle a large project. However the bus I am converting isn't what I would consider up to the artisan level, but it's rare to hear of a conversion or a build being ever truly finished.

Don't be afraid of the unknown, embrace it! That's my cheesy saying of the day. hahaha :lol: :roll: . Anyways... Good luck with the hunt.

-Richard
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I'll build a housetruck or housebus for you

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hello Vic

If you would really like to build a housetruck or bus Id be willing to talk to you about it. I've been in custom wood working for a little over 25 years now and have built from high end furniture to custom doors and windows. I converted the skoolie that I live in for the last 4 years ( nothing flashy ) but works great. I am currently getting ready to convert my new home in a 1974 GMC 4905 Buffalo that will be a little flashy. I've been in construction in one way or another for about 30 years so the roof lines are a walk in the park for me. Now, that being said, To build a fantasic "art" housetruck or bus is some "BIG" bucks Even if you do it your self it's a huge amount of time and money. I'm saying that if you have the money to burn and are looking to live in a great rolling home, Go pick out a great looking truck or bus frame and put together between $30,000 and $50,000 and we can talk. I now this sounds outlandish but that's what it will cost to build a really nice 30 to 40 foot rolling home. Thats running water, full bath, heat, hot water, airtight stove, a couple of different kinds of lighting and maybe even some PV solar. As to my Buffalo bus/home, even after using the stove, fridg,water heater, 2200 watts of PV solar and 10 Rolls deep cycle batteries I exspect to put at least $20,000 to $30,000 in to the new rig and that's with me doing all or at least most of the work. Let get something strait here, I'm not saying "not" to build a sweet rig for yourself. Just understand before you start, to build a really nice rig like something that's on this site or Roger Becks incredible book is "not" cheep :shock: When those boys built there homes you could get a lot of stuff for free but no more.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
steve eco

wooden motorhome

Post by steve eco »

Hi..i've just come across these wooden house trucks after searching for a suitable motorhome to escape the mortgage/rat race.I've always wanted to build my own log home somewhere in the UK but the price of land overhere is the stumbling block...so this seems the better option plus you must get a great sense of freedom.However to talk about $50,000 build is to me defeating the objective...i can't see why the actual wooden shell should not cost more than $5000 although i'm talking about a simple 15 footer.On Ebay there are quite a few log cabin adverts who are willing to build one to your specifications...the tickness of the logs range from 45mm to about 90mm for the cheap ones.I've only just started looking into this but what type of chassis is needed to take a structure like this.Would a 3.5ton long wheel base chassis be tough enough to take a cabin or does it need to be nearer 7.5ton..i'm thinking of around about a 15ft long cabin with overhead cab space.What thickness of log would you suggest for all year round living..it doesn't get that cold in UK now so a wood burning stove should make it very cosy.
jose rebelo

Re: Where Can I Get One?

Post by jose rebelo »

vicmason wrote:I have a long-standing interest in housetrucks, homemade campers, retrofitted buses, etc. I lived in Eugene for a dozen years and had Jane Lidz' Rolling Homes when it was new. However, I never have developed the skills to create my own rolling live-in artwork. Where can I find one "already done?" I scan Ebay, Craigslist, and other sources frequently but rarely do I see a conversion made by an artisan. I'm talking about the cedar-shingled, stained-glass, woodstove varieties. Is there a clearinghouse for these old rigs when the owners decide to sell?
please see www.ebay.com.au I have one for sale.

under: books

joserebelo@digisurf.net.au