1974 Gerstenslager Bookmobile.. in Connecticut

This isn't ebay, but if you want to list something, it's free.
Please see the sticky thread at the top of the forum to read the simple rules.

Moderator: TMAX

HomesteadFred

1974 Gerstenslager Bookmobile.. in Connecticut

Post by HomesteadFred »

Hello All,

I have a 1974 Gerstenslager Bookmobile for sale.. It is approx. 24 Ft long and has an interior height of 7 ft. or so.. (Great if, like me, you are tall).
It was used last by the Manchester CT police department as a command vehicle.. so the original shelving is gone.. I intended to make it a rolling home and repower it with a diesel.. But I got hurt at work and then laid off so I cannot do the work it needs myself or pay someone else to do it. Which brings me to
What it needs … The engine burned a valve or holed a piston.. So it runs… but has NO POWER and smokes like a old locomotive (IT WILL NOT POWER THE TRUCK DOWN THE ROAD)…But the engine is a simple International 345 V8/gas so it should be cheap to rebuild…Could be done inframe by someone mechanical.. International 1705 (school bus) chassis. Has a Good Allison AT545 4-speed auto and a single speed rear.. I was told..new (Hyd/Vac) brakes, Six new tires and is in otherwise very good shape (Muni vehicle )
Pictures say a lot.. I will Email them to anyone who is genuinely interested has Generator bay in rear an AC unit above it --2 drs. On pass. Side.. one for driver..Lot of interior room to work with..have the original documentation and schematics from Gerstenslager.
Could be great for Daytona or Sturges maybe Burning Man..
Please ask questions.. I am open to offers and certain trades… Cement/Mortar mixer..220V MIG welder..20 or 22 in wheels for a Chrysler 300 AWD…No timeshares or vacation packages ..
I know towing this could be very expensive and I know the engine needs work… I have factored those facts into the asking price…$1000.00 OBO.(less than half what I paid for it) and I paid to have it towed the 75 miles here.. Be reasonable please. Thanks, Fred

Can be seen here.. http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/1091587178.html