New Alt Housing Nut

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Don't know if you've found it yet, but there's a topic thread here about the propreitary fasteners in Crown buses.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=1270
Headache

Post by Headache »

I did see that, it's where I got the idea that it would make Crown ownership difficult for me if I wasn't able to locate a set of those tools.

That and I'm really getting a bit googly eyed over the 4106.

Among all your other projects, do you do electrical consulting for the rolling home crowd?
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Headache

Post by Headache »

Now that's an interesting cutaway. I think I know what I'm going after now. The GM 4106!

As long as it has power steering! :lol:

But then again, I'm sure liking a TON that Crown postal you picked up!
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I forgot to come back and post the pics. Here is the ad from Craigslist.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/c ... 67275.html

1987 International hydraulic brake bus with a rebuilt DT466 turbo charged engine and 6 speed allison auto. newer style fiberglass hood, chrome front bumper, air ride front suspension, air horn, custom entrance door, chrome wheel covers, new virgin front rubber, 2000 watt ac converter, roof ac unit, alum tool box, electric winch for loading, heavy metal loading ramps, custom front roof top window, custom heated mirrors, receiver hitch, tinted windows and spare tire holder. the interior has the floor carpeted. $5995. Any questions call 715-463-5275 715-463-5275

Headache

Post by Headache »

I did check that out but would prefer the body remain mostly intact. Too much of that has been cut away for my liking but thanks for putting up the add.

After seeing that tv bus you picked up I'm really interested in that too.

I do have to keep in mind that I'd have to have power steering and prefer air brakes over mechanical.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Headache, this is a little off topic, but I want to say that the most vibrant display of Fall leaves I have ever seen was in western Mass. It was a glorious display of orange, red, and yellow.

Also, may we address you by your real name? It would be real cool if you posted a picture of yourself on the Other Stuff forum on the What Do You Look Like thread.

Here is a link to posting pics.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=1565

Thanks, Rudy
Got love? Give love.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm a bit cautionary as I've been stalked online before. Most of my private info that I relinquish online(outside the nature of the discussion I'm in) is in the form of voice chatting rather than posting it or, since I asked Sharkey if he did consulting, or asked the list about communes similar to where he lived, at those times it's most appropriate to identify myself to the parties I'd be doing business with.

If you wish to use something other than Headache I go by Alex online when I'm not doing business. I don't have any recent pics at this time but plan on doing some when I either get my camera fixed or buy a new one to chronicle whatever mobile adventure that comes to me.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Well Alex, I’m the only stalker on the board :roll: and I have no interest in you so your pretty safe 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Headache

Post by Headache »

LOL, well thanks Dennis. On the opposite side of the coin you(or at least that awesome avatar of peace) helped interest me enough to join. Happy, peaceful people are who I like to be around.

AND, I really want to know more about your ride! I'm going to go check out your website!

I've seen a few either barely started or need remodeled for around $3 - $6k. Is that the norm or am I seeing rolling parts stores where the axles are probably about to drop from the frame?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

You should be able to do ok for 3 to 6 grand. I think Rudy was telling about a GM bus something like mind for around 5 grand. It's worth a look for that price, I like the GM's 8)
Peace along the way
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Since really nice used rear engine school buses are selling in the under $4K range and good used MC-9/10/12's are selling in the under $10K range I would think anything that has already had some work done on them are worth at look at under $6K.

The two most important things at which you need to look, regardless of price, is rust and condition of the power package.

Rust repair can easily cost 2X the cost of the purchase price.

Power package repairs can easily cost in excess of $10K.

I had to replace the transmission in a Thomas Saf-T-Liner RE that cost me in excess of $6K just for the transmission.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:You should be able to do ok for 3 to 6 grand. I think Rudy was telling about a GM bus something like mind for around 5 grand. It's worth a look for that price, I like the GM's 8)
Did you do any work on yours Dennis or did you pick yours up with goodies already installed? If you did any work I'd really be interested in seeing what you did.
Mark R. Obtinario wrote:The two most important things at which you need to look, regardless of price, is rust and condition of the power package.
Indeed Mark, hence my asking questions(especially from you for sure) regarding this topic. I have very little disposable income and it would take me almost 2 years of saving just for a standard diesel engine rebuild. There's no way I could strip and paint a frame either. I'd have to hire out for that.

One thing I will definitely be looking for once I get to WA is a place I can park where I will be able to work on it while spending time with my dad. I don't care if I have crate furniture and a woodstove. If anyone knows of some space where I could do this I'd like to strike up some communication with them at some point and I've had clean CORI's for 20 years if that helps.

This is where I'm going between that GM 4106 and a Crown, especially that tv truck/postal unit ride if I can find one. Do I go "cheap" initially and get something I have to put a lot of time into quickly(such as insulation and heating) but it's my design, or do I spend a little more and get something that's already somewhat insulated and with working in a more efficient heat source buys me some time? I'm lucky in that I'm fairly cold tolerant but once I've survived the first winter and acclimated it would be downhill from there. And with as short as I am, head clearance shouldn't be an issue.

Either way I'm glad I have my car. Even if I have to hide in the banana belt of Asotin County I'll still be able to get to my dad.

I'd almost just get a van and urban camp around Snohomish County but my cat would be pissed if he couldn't have his own space, lol.

Mark, I'd like to know more about how the air card works? I spend a HUGE amount of time online and when I'm not taking piano lessons or some class, I'm researching this project and gaming(World of Warcraft and some poker games). The internet is my guilty pleasure but also my education and family communication source. Would I be able to do all that on an air card without too much trouble and without spending hundreds of dollars a month?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Alex, I did a ground up reno on my skoolie and im doing the same on my 4905 as money and time is available but this one I just bought as is over the summer to live in while I did a job on the other side of the island. You can see them at www.dennisthebusdweller.com The skoolie< I bought and in 6 weeks I moved in 8) The 4905 has a long way a lots of money to go.
Peace along the way
Headache

Post by Headache »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: but this one I just bought as is over the summer to live in while I did a job on the other side of the island.
I'm in love with the one you live in now!!

I'm also happy to report that I have located a vehicle sparky who will be assisting me in all things electrical and electronic once I get the bus and get to WA, not necessarily in that order. Funny part was I've known of this guy for years, I just didn't know the extent of the work he's done. He just finished up a mobile solar job.