New Alt Housing Nut

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Post by Headache »

Hello Rudy!

I do know where Ballard is! :) My dad was born and raised there and graduated from Ballard High School. I spent a lot of summers around Shilshole, watching the container cranes at the port, the locks and eating fish and chips at I think Ivar's. I lived around the SeaTac area for about 15 years and left WA around '92.

My "2nd family" while I was in high school now lives south of Nashville and it was my friend's dad that got me hooked on driving big trucks.

Heya Stealth!

Both Detroit and Cummins are solid motors from my experience with them. They each have their pluses and minues.

Detroit(as in GM) was languishing for quite awhile until they designed and solidified the Series 60 in the late 80's. Once they partnered with Penske(who I eventually worked for) it became the new "go to" engine for fleets that HAD to have the latest. The "padded" fleet business transactions helped even as buggy as the engine systems still were at the time. Still, huge profits allowed more experimentation and development, and the engine(and it's prodigy) became some pretty consistent horsepower for the lower RPM/fuel conserving crowd. The caveat to this was DD knew they could expand that profit margin and the cost of parts and repairs can reflect it. They also remained somewhat proprietary which made getting parts for breakdown repair a pain.

Cummins I think has been around since dirt was invented, or shortly thereafter. When I started driving the Big Cam Fours had become the rage for the ever cost conscious fleet crowd. Unfortunately, they became subject to overheating problems due to the "new" low flow cooling systems and crappy thermostats and it was during this momentary lapse in engineering genius that Detroit Diesel got the jump on them. It didn't help that the cooling system HAD to be in tune with the "Mechanical Variable Timing" or MVT and mechanics weren't particularly fond of it. Luckily there were still enough of the older Big Cams around that cooling system parts could be robbed, systems punched out and retrofitted and things could be made to work until Cummins redesigned things. I think there was a lifter or injector issue at this time as well.

They smoked, they leaked, they were cheap to fix! My knowledge of Cummins motors isn't as much as Detroits back then but I do remember the next generation of Cummins stealing back a good chunk of thunder that they had lost to DD.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

There's a long-ago "History of the Cummins Diesel" thread on this forum which is interesting, although link decay has made all but a few of the images broken:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=377
marjie s.

new too!

Post by marjie s. »

Hey Headache, and all,
Just joined too! And I also found the site after seeing the great old photos on the tiny house blog. Its fun when something new rekindles an old longing.
I love all sorts of tiny living spaces. In general I guess I am just so interested in seeing how people live. I work as a realtor now, and the houses are generally boring, but what people do with their spaces is fun.
Here on the east coast (and especially colder climates) is seems like we just don't have the diversity or creative energy that one finds out west, or down south.
Now I get my small house thrills by travelling and camping as much as possible in my little Trillium trailer. Just having the hubby, the two dogs, and my daughter and me all packed together makes me happy.
I have however fulltimed in a boat (two years), airstream (three years), Metro step-van (one year). And I miss the fun!!! When a step-van drives by, I start to dreaming again....
So....I don't have a bus or truck....can I stay?
Marjie
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Of course you can stay.

Just jump right in with the rest.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Welcome Marjie! I'd certainly be interested in your step van days. =D

Thanks Sharkey I'll give that Cummins thread a good read today!

Mark, when looking at buses would there be a difference in performance between a front and mid engine aside from cooling on a good pull?

I'm rather interested in this because I want to be able to travel easily and thought it would be really awesome to not have to tow my car. I'm tempted to find a bus that's big enough in the rear to add ramps and park my lil Subaru in the back. Like having a "little" 20ft garage and storage shed back there.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Recently on ebay there was a Blue Bird TC2000FE for sale that had a rear hatch and hydraulic lift gate that allowed for stowage of large toys.

I have also seen a Crown that had the rear end rearranged to allow for a hatch to store vehicles in the back.

For most practical purposes, it isn't a very good idea. The floor height at the back of a bus is relatively high. Most FE Type 'D' buses have a floor height almost four feet off of the ground. In order to build a ramp of sufficient length to get a car into the back of a bus you would end up with something sticking way up in the air, hinged in some way, etc. Bottom line, a lot of weight hung on the back of the bus.

Also, school buses are only 96" wide. Consequently it doesn't allow for very much room to get out of your car once it is inside.

As far as performance is concerned between front engine and mid-engine buses, there is no comparison.

The only engines I have seen in front engine buses have been the mid-range V-8's like the Cat 3208 and the Cummins B-series 5.9L engines. For all practical purposes those engines top out in HP about 250 HP. Most are in the 180-210 HP range.

The three diesel mid-engines were the Cummins 743 and 855 and the DD 6-71.

The 743 came in two versions, the 220 HP and the turbo version at 262 HP.

The 855 started at 270 and could be massaged up above 400 HP.

The 6-71 started at 250 and went to 270 with a turbo and could be massaged up above 300 HP if you could keep it cool enough.

I have seen some motorcoaches that have utilized their luggage bays as a garage for the "toad".

One was an Eagle 10. They took one of the early really small Honda cars and turned it into a roadster with a folding windshield. With the top and windshield folded down they used a couple of ramps to drive the car in crossways to the center line of the bus.

Recently I saw pictures of a high end coach RV that put the "toad" in sideways. There was a hydraulic lift that picked the car up and then it was loaded sideways into the luggage bay so the centerline of the car paralleled the centerline of the coach. The car was a very small econobox, something like a 2-door Ford Focus.

I have seen a Blue Bird TC2000FE that had twenty some feet chopped off of the back of the coach and a rollback recovery bed put in it's place.

Given enough time and $$$ you can accomplish a lot.

I guess the question I would have is what is so bad about bringing a "toad" along with four wheels down or on a dolly?

Personally, I would not like having a car with fuel, exhaust, etc. stinking up my house.

@ Marjie--It isn't my place to say whether you can stay or not. But I hope you stick around, if for no other reason than to get inspired to get your own house on wheels again.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

marjie....I hope you do stay! Sometimes dreams are more inspiring than the real thing.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
yugogypsy

New Alt Housing Nit

Post by yugogypsy »

Hey Marjie,

I only have the shell of a bus and I'm sticking around. Lots of cool info here and helpful hints, and if you cook at all, check out The Foodstamp Gourmet, we really have some great cooks around here

Lois :)
Bash On Regardless!
GoodClue

newbies ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello to all new members ... welcome :!:
My input on a short bus ... my '46 Chevy, 16' interior steering wheel to back door is close to the limit of habitable space ... better planning will yield better space utilization, but I love it :wink:
A little over 20' bumper to bumper lets me park in normal spaces, allows me to get it into amazingly tight backwoods places ... the locked rear end makes off-roading possible ... and I'm looking for a small airstream or such to tow when I need to expand ... detach to use the bus for craft shows, etc ...
Small is not for everyone but has worked wonderfully well for me.
Am constantly researching small habitats: houses, busses, trailers, boats ...
Good luck on your searching ... I got my bus at a junk yard for $300 years ago, deals can still be made and found. Less than $1500 total investment over the years ... engine rebuild, tires, misc. parts ... do most of the work yourself and you'll always smile when you look at what you've accomplished :)
You've found one of the GREAT sites for your interests, glad to have you on board and, like all, anxiously awaiting pics.
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
yugogypsy

New Alt Housing Nut

Post by yugogypsy »

Small is beautiful, and if I get a rolling bus, it will be a short one, there is only one of me, and I know what essentials I need and I just don't NEED a bigger bus than that

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Welcome All!

Headache,

With the experience you have as a driver, you might be interested in this thread. It solves the toad problem (and a few more) very well.

Chuck

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=1511
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Marjie

Im out on the eastern end of the nouth shore in southold and Orient point, Where are you folks? This is a great place with a mixed bag of great people. You'll love it here 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

The folks here are an eccletic bunch, juxtaposed all over Mr Sharkey's site and they add a rarified ambience that borders on the sublime. :D

(I love using those $5 words in a way that can mean just about anything to anybody, or nothing to no one!)

In other words, welcome to a very special and unique site with lots of very interesting people, all thanks due to Mr Sharkey's hospitality! :)
marjie s.

Thanks

Post by marjie s. »

Well,
Thanks for your warm welcome. Looking foward to learning lots, and looking at pictures (to inspire me). Also, recipes and cooking tips are always nice. I got into cooking a lot when living on the boat, as it was such a small space there really wasn't any room at all for any hobbies. So the cooking was fun, and filled a purpose!
I am loving this warm spell! Actually got a chance to work outside today.
Dennis the Bus Dweller, yes, I am sharing the Island with you, I am in Sea Cliff.
Happy Trails,
Marjie
Bob

Post by Bob »

Welcome!
Always glad to have another outa the box thinker here! If you are so close to Dennis...if i were you...I would do my best to invite myself over for dinner! What could be better than to have great company aboard an awesome bus with fantasic food?
Wherever I am...I am home.