Sharkey is aliiive !

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

peterb

Sharkey is aliiive !

Post by peterb »

FYI I have received spam from him.... I am moving back to Lane County, so I contacted him for some info, (which I got), he referred me here.

I will be reparticipating again, as whazammo, and replacing my old moniker PeterB ..... Still trying to understand what went on here.... is there a chronological events thingie posted somewhere ?

H8H Buffalo
Whazammo
peterB H8H-649-190
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Sharkey is aliiive !

Post by stuartcnz »

The first I knew of a problem with the forum, was when I couldn't find it. A couple of days later, it appeared on a secondary URL as a fresh install of the previous forum software. At that point I contacted Sharkey to find out what had happened, and he basically told me that he was about burned out with keeping up the maintenance of the forum (bearing in mind he is on dial-up internet). I offered to help. From there, it went on to the following post:
http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1875

Over the space of about a month, Sharkey put in a heap of hours in helping me get the forum back up and running again, with database repairs and anti-spam measures. He then shifted back to working on his site http://www.mrsharkey.com .

Over this space of time I have upgraded the forum to run on phpBB3 software and have started work to get chat going again. Because of the new platform, I had to start from scratch with chat, and though I have a version installed, I'm not particularly satisfied with it yet. At some point I will get it working right, in the meantime it can be used as is.
peterb

Re: Sharkey is aliiive !

Post by peterb »

Thanx for the update, I was real curious about how the site migrated to NZ... I had visions of flotation airbags, telephone poles and some crude sail taking Sharkey across the waves in perhaps an articulated Eugene city bus which he pirated in Mapleton, and had outfitted at the old Umpqua Marine site, one of those bicycle generators powering his computer, and his being fluent in Maori upon arrival, therefore changing the way we look at (and read) about house trucks, schoolies, and busses forever.

I have been quite involved with NZ stuff over the years, and still have some contacts in Waihi, Hamilton, Picton, Auckland, and Rototuna North, been ashore with some Kiwi Navy boys, and was a caterer for the San Diego America's Cup New Zealand Governor-General visitation reception back in the Sir Michael Fay late 80's.

So, congrats on the new undertaking, as I said ... "I" will participate.

It all looks great !
peterB H8H-649-190