Ok people,anyone with a spare minute!!??PLEASE!!!!

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

rearingtogo

Ok people,anyone with a spare minute!!??PLEASE!!!!

Post by rearingtogo »

Big HI to everyone out there from little ol New Zealand first and foremost!!Secondanly Im am really hoping there is somebody on this great site who would kindly help me get started on my life longdream of building my own home away from home??!!Im a single mum with 3 amazing kids who I drag out camping as often as I can and would love to build a little bus/truck to take along with us??!!Have restored a old bungalow house so handy with my hands etc but have sold the house and am not keen to buy another!!!
Hate to say it but I really have no idea where to start...even with purchasings the right truck/bus???!!!
Anyone mad enough to talk me thru all this would be hugley appreciated!!??
Thanks a million!!!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, if it was a few years ago, I would have suggested that you pick up a copy of Wanderings magazine, it always had several pages of adverts for housetrucks for sale. Unfortunately, they ceased publication and haven't been heard from since.

For shear information overload, there's always the Pardo.net web site. A very long and detailed page of what to look for in a bus before purchasing. I also think you might find some instructive information on the Metamorphobus web page. There are lots of tips and tricks contained on that site. I found myself saying "oh yeah" a lot while reading about Gary and Becky's adventures in converting a transit bus to motor home. They kind of burned out on the idea fast and sold the bus, but that's doesn't happen to everyone. New Zealand has ~loads~ of house trucks and buses, and from what I can tell, an active culture and an accepting population.

Keep us up to date with your project, especially if you find something interesting.

Anyone else care to chime in?
rearingtogo

Cheers for that!!

Post by rearingtogo »

Went to the libaray today which is surpossed to be the best in New Zealand and nudda..nothing...ziltch on either housetrucks or buses??!! Spent hours surfing the net with, bar this web site and one other, nothing!!! Looking at buying a Straight 6 214 Petrol Bedford, double cab which looks rather gnarley??!! Any suggestions ie:petrol,deisel?? ANYTHING....ANYONE????
Cheers Sharkey for your reply..awesome!!
Carla.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Carla, be sure to check out Stu's Site as he has some NZ housetruck content. Also have a look at Rob Gray's Wothahellisat site. Down at the bottom of the page are links to construction diaries with lots of explanations and photos of the building process. You don't have to be quite as fanatical as Rob, but it's always good to see what is possible given enough zeal.

As for engine, I always lean towards diesel. I like the way that they drive, there are fewer things to go wrong with the engine, they get better fuel economy, and the are the only realistic choice for using alternative fuels such as biodiesel.
rearingtogo

Cheers for that Sharkey!!

Post by rearingtogo »

Ok deisel it is!!thanks for the web links also...hopefully they will be able to help to (I know you are sighing a sigh of relife!!!)Hahahahahahaha!!I dont blame you!! I have ben looking for trucks/buses on the net for sale..what do you think about converting a horse float?? Seems logical to me so heres hoping thats not a really dumb blonde question!!!!
Cheers!!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Actually, I have converted a horse trailer to other use once, and kind of had fantasies about what could be done with one as a caravan conversion. Here's a link to a portable renewable energy system I built into a very reasonable priced horse float. It was much cheaper than any comparable heavy-duty chassis that I could find.

This could be a good way to build a "stealth" camper. Just kick the wall a few times if you thought anyone was outside checking you out and they'd think there was a mean stallion inside and leave you alone.
rayzle

Post by rayzle »

Hi Sharkie. Greetings from the mainland Carla (Sth Island). Just wondering how you are going with the truckin idea. Mines only just nearing completion after 6 years of weekends. With that in mind may I suggest you buy a finished truck. There are many older trucks at a good price on trademe and NZMCA classifieds.(As a guide mine has soaked up $22000 nzd in parts and materials alone without including the huge amount of time involved)
As for the beddie I find mine just a liiittle slow :wink: .As I discussed with Stan :) elsewhere, its top speed is about 65 kph. This easily drops 20kph into a headwind and HILLS!! :roll: .Gas consumption is about 4k per litre but seems to be improving a little the more we drive it. I looked into a repower and price's ranged from $5000nz for a bedford 300 diesel fitted to $7500 for the ideal Isuzu 6BD1. I'm just going to hold up traffic and visit every gas station. You may want a bit more grunt and/or economy.
I have plenty more to tell you but we will see if your still watching before I clutter up the guestbook further. Thanks to Mr Sharky for an excellent site. Its helped me out no end.
Regards... Ray (rayzle)

COMING TO A TOWN NEAR YOU!! (eventually....maybe...)