info

Just want to say hello or leave a quick comment?

Moderator: TMAX

moonshadows

info

Post by moonshadows »

anyone ever heard of a couple from northern california named gypsy and juaquine {spellling???} they had an old truck with a home built on the back in the late seventies they where friends of my parents in yreka california and i had a poster of their "home" for several years i wish i still had it they hwere kinda local celebrities happened across this site and figured if anyone would know anything about them and their home it would be here ----- scott
son of the baker in yrekabakery
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Scott;

Of course, Gypsy and Joaquin are most famous for their 1937 Chevrolet "Gypsy Wagon" housetruck that was featured in the book Shelter. Gypsy and Joaquin and their three kids traveled around and lived in the truck for five years or so in the early 1970's.

The most recent information I have seen was in Lloyd Kahn's 2004 sequel to Shelter, Home Work, where he devoted half a page to photos of the truck and a bit of text from Gypsy and Joaquin's daughter, Serena describing her memories of "Old #67".

If you want to follow up, I'd recommend contacting Lloyd Kahn through his blog, I'm sure he knows how to contact Serena, and by association, perhaps Gypsy and Joaquin. Let us know if you hear anything.

Here's a couple of images from the Home Work book: