any one here planning on becoming mobil soon

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Sweet bus, Chuck! (I'm so-o-o jealous! :D )
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

thats cool chuck ,
pics,pics we want pics
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Yep, thats a sweet rig alright 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

A bus with stories to tell... <g>
teamgreen

Ca to N Carolina

Post by teamgreen »

Might be movin to N Carolina to be closer to family and a great outdoor market scene. I'm trying to figure out everything I need to check on the bus before I go. It all works fine but seems to vibrate at speed and the noise makes me nervous. I'm sure a bit of noise is normal. It's a truck. Lookin forward to a long slow trip and finally getting out of the city. I want to tow my little four cylinder scout behind the bus. I hope I'm not askin too much of the bus's powertrain.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Check out the balance on your steer tires, then check your driveline U-joints, make sure they are not loose, or showing signs of rusty dust showing around the rubber seals of each cross cap. These are two of the most usual sources of vibration. A bent rim can also cause a vibration.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

I suspect it's the U-joints and possibly a couple wheel bearings. I've already replace bearings in 1 wheel . I couldn't believe how much these bearings were.$80 for one outer wheel bearing? Crazy. I'm checkin the tires out too. Can someone point me to an explanation of how to post pics?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

teamgreen, to post pics, first go to TinyPic.com .

Click on Choose File. Then access which file you want.

Double click the photo.

Next, click on the arrow on the right of the Resize box. Choose Message Board 640X480 .

Press the green Upload button.

Type in the two words. If they are too hard to read, click where it says "get a new challenge"

Press green Upload Now button.

Left click on the box that says IMG code for forums/message boards.
The box turns black background.

Now right click (copy).

Now go to your post on Sharkey's and right click (paste).

You will see that IMG code you got from TinyPic..

When you press either Preview or Submit on your Sharkey post, the picture will appear.

REMEMBER to use the Resize function before you upload a photo. 640X480.

After a few tries of doing this, it will become second nature.
Got love? Give love.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

I am working on some willow furniture designs that I can sell at craft shows this spring. Hoping to turn my trip across country into more of an extended working adventure. I figure this will help me take my time and take care of the old bus. As fun as this is going to be, long distance voyages in your home can be nerve racking. I still haven't decided if I should tow my scout or sell it. It's not very heavy but I don't want to kill the bus. :?
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I am in Shreveport,La if you do I 20 route, stop by and holler at me, Can also help if you breakdown, I can throw you a cord and water may have to tip the landlord, if you stayed a few days, I only pay $ 200 a month utilities paid, so can't mess that up, but I have known him for aroud 10 years and we get along good so will not be a problem I'm at 318-820-6085
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Towing the Scout shouldn't overwork the bus. Don't know what powertrain you've got, but since it's in a bus it was surely specced for hauling more load than a Scout. The bigger question is how you want to do the tow. Flat-tow, dolly, or on a trailer? If flat-tow does it have manual or automatic trans? Pull the driveshaft?
Maybe I should preface all my towing/hauling/driving advice with a little background. I'm not averse to doing things that others say shouldn't be done, but I got here by way of lots of experience and education. Sometimes the education came by way of the experience, as in "let's don't do it that way again!". I started working for local farmers when I was 12 years old, in a rural area and time where learning to drive and operate equipment was allowed to happen as early as a boy wanted to learn. I'm sure that environment allowed some injuries that could have been prevented by the safety police, if they had existed then, but I really don't remember it being such a problem. But then, I wasn't one of the casualties either.
Anyway, I grew up learning to operate stuff, and was always eager and comfortable with it. Then later, drove a truck, hauling cars for a few years. Tha was more good experience.
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

More.
Having said all that, I wouldn't advise anyone to do something they're not comfortable with, or in an unsafe manner.
I've seen lots of stuff strewed alongside the highway because it shouldn't have been on the road to begin with, or just wasn't done properly.
So, be careful.
Some say don't do it unless you're experienced, but I never could see but one way to get the experience.
Good luck.
Stan
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

Thanks for the offer James. I might take you up on that. I also appreciate any ideas on towing and travel. I have driven cross country dozens of times and I plan on either trailering or getting a dolly for the scout.I'm not as worried about small mechanical issues as a mammoth tow bill if it has problems on the wrong stretch of road.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

teamgreen wrote:Thanks for the offer James. I might take you up on that. I also appreciate any ideas on towing and travel. I have driven cross country dozens of times and I plan on either trailering or getting a dolly for the scout.I'm not as worried about small mechanical issues as a mammoth tow bill if it has problems on the wrong stretch of road.
a mammoth tow bill
Get a good sams platium card for around a hundred bucks for a year just for the trip, it's worth it
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

If it's $100 , I will definitely check that out.