Music Central

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

TMAX, I admire your tenacity in guessing the number of batteries in that Ernie Ball amp. I went online today to try and find a picture of it or some info on it. There is nothing about it. I must say that you are high once again. Do they do drug tests where you work? HA HA. All kidding aside, if you give one more guess, you will be the winner. Subtract 12 from your last guess and you will be correct. OH!, did I just give the answer away?
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Rudy, you ruined my guess but not my buzz. Take care

TMAX
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Rudy, The unit below the keyboard is a SWR "WORKINGMANS ONE-SIXTY" bass amp. I use it with either one or two 15" speaker cabinets, depending on the size venue. If I need more power than 160 watts, then I figure that we should be using a full front of house P.A. There is no reason to subject your hearing to more than that and the system still acts as an excellent on stage monitor and has a built in balanced D.I. out.

I have found SWR amps to be one of only a very few that perform well with both fretted and fretless bases.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It's Saturday night and I must be going to bed soon because I have to get up early tomorrow. When I get back from what I need to do, I will take a photo of two items I have had for many years. They are the first series. They are a device that you use on guitars. I guess you could even use them on a banjo. They work with electromagnetics. I don't want to tell you much more than that right now. I will post the pictures, and even then I will not tell you what they are. I will ask for a few guesses. I am reasonably sure that it won't take long to get a correct response. Both of these items are for sale. I have been cruising craigslist musical instruments ads for a while and have not seen any on there. Apparently, either, anyone who has one does not want to get rid of it, or there just are not many of them around. Also, coming soon will be a photo of my 1927 Mandolin Guitarphone. It is a member of the Zither family. I call it my little harp. I may even spend two hours tuning the 46 strings on it, just to hear it again. Perhaps I will record some tunes I used to play on that thing.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

The thing with Mac's is that they were originally designed for sound and graphic work. That's why they are so good for it. PC's are following on the coat tails of Mac's when it comes to sound and graphics, because they were initially designed for business use. As time moves on, the devisions are merging. Now days, Mac's are pretty good for business use and PC's are improving on the sound and graphics. You are still pretty much stuck with PC for CAD software interestingly though.

Having played around with Ubuntu Linux a little bit, that is where I want to go with computers in the medium term as I think it offers more value for money than either PC or Mac and I view it as more in line with my personal values.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart, I have an early version of the SWR California Blonde amp. It is another piece of gear that I got from George at Shiloh Music in Mt. Juliet, Tenn. I just love it. It is like a mini PA. I have used it for guitar, bass, keyboards, and microphones. It has two channels, a 12 inch 200 watt Celestion speaker, a tweeter, and a closed back housing. It puts out 100 watts and has a built in aural exciter on one channel, as well as an XLR input for a mic on the other channel. It is a great amp. I'll take a picture of that as well.
Last edited by Rudy on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

TMAX, You must be the winner of the battery game. I will prepare the prize and send it to you. I have your address. You DID guess the right number, didn't you? I feel like Michael Feldman, and it's getting near the end of the show and I really want you to win the Boca Burgers.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I know I should be in bed now, but I must relate this little story to you. Today there was a family reunion gathering at the property where I am staying. It was a good time. Lots of food, about 50 people, a pistol range set up, skeet shooting, and a big bonfire. Shortly before dark, we all ate very well. Having eaten, I figured I would get one of my accordions and play a little. Everyone enjoyed it. Well, I left to go back to the bus, knowing that I have to get up early tomorrow morning. I fire up the laptop to check in on Sharkey's. After a while, Danno, who owns this property, knocks on the bus door to deliver some food items to me. He then tells me about one of his nephews (who is in his twenties) that had never seen an accordion played before. His nephew had asked him a funny question. (This is very much related to the Ernie Ball amp that I have been talking about.) Apparently, his nephew was wondering how my instrument could be so loud. He observed that it was not plugged in, as we were all in the middle of the field. So, his question to Danno was, "does that thing run on batteries?" When Danno told me this, I laughed very heartily. I think the nephew thought there was a built in amplifier inside accordions. Danno explained to him that you squeeze it to make the sound. Gotta go now. I have to get to bed. OH! I have to go plug my accordion into the charger. :lol:
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This morning, I emailed to my forum friends, the web address to the most amazing music video I have seen. I don't know what these instruments, this guy is playing, are. I call them Musical Flying Saucers. Click on this address, and get ready to "get your mind blown"!!! I have already watched it 20 times, and I only saw it for the first time last night. I know I promised some pictures yesterday. I have to go out again today, but I should be home all day tomorrow. I will catch up then. Well, here is the place to see this amazing feat.

http://www.wimp.com/hangdrumming/
dburt

Post by dburt »

It is hard to believe that guy gets such nice harmony out of the little flying saucer. Some folks are really inventive!!

Rudy, don't forget to charge up your accordian batteries for the next session!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Rudy, it's called a Hang, pronounced hung.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_(musical_instrument)
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart, I figured a brainy guy like you would know what it was. I did a little research, and was going to post the same site you did just now. It is amazing what Dante Bucci does with it. Did you notice that he uses finger techniques that tabla players use? Thanks for checking in to the thread. I've got some pictures coming tomorrow on the thread. Rudy
Last edited by Rudy on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Très 8) !
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OK, Here are two photos of these things I have had for many years. They were the first issues. They are probably close to thirty years old. I mentioned them earlier, and I also said that I would not tell you what they were. I expect that very shortly, someone will say "Hey, those are .....". I know it won't take long. One of them is in excellent condition. One of them looks like it got sat on. They both work, and are for sale. Buy the good one, and you get the other one for free. Now, THAT'S a deal.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Soon I will post photos of my Kenny Hill classical guitar that has a Ruck hole. After I explain the theory of it, you may all want to drill a hole there. I did not come up with this idea. It was Mr. Ruck. If you want to get one of his guitars, there is a three year waiting list, and you'll have to shell out thousands of dollars. By the way, a hand made guitar by Kenny Hill will cost you the same, if not more. I've got #44. His company has made many guitars to this date. To get one made by Kenny himself is a hard feat. I knew Kenny in Santa Cruz and we played many gigs together. Here is a link to Kenny's web site.

http://www.hillguitar.com/

Here is a link to Robert Ruck's site.

http://www.acguitar.com/Gear/Profiles/ruck.shtml