Music Central

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Being electro magnetic, was first guess would have been some kind of pick up, until I saw the photo. My next guess, which is totally stab in the dark is that they might be the gizmo's used to create a violin effect.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart, That is an incredibly perceptive guess. You are correct. They are known as an Ebow. There are grooves on the bottom that you sit on two strings, enabling the unit to straddle and be centered on the string in the middle. You turn the unit on with the little switch in the back. Inside the unit, two electromagnets oscillate their output back and forth at a high rate of speed, thereby exciting the string, and making it sound like it was being played with a violin bow. It works on acoustic guitars as well as electric guitars. It gives you infinite sustain. When you fret the left hand while the string is activated, it sounds like a recording of a guitar being played backwards. When used on an electric guitar, you can get a bunch more wild effects by how close you get the Ebow to the guitar pickups. You don't see many of these, much less, the first series. Rudy
Last edited by Rudy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I am anxious to post photos of my recording equipment. Perhaps, later today, I will get the opportunity. For now, here are two trivia questions.
QUESTION ONE: Who sang the song "What Condition My Condition Was In", and what was the name of his group at the time? This song was probably considered to be in the rock genre at that time. Here's a clue. He later went on to become very famous using his own name and singing songs in another genre.
QUESTION TWO: Who played the keyboards on the T-REX song "Bang A Gong"? Here's a clue. He later went on to become mega-famous as a singer and piano player. He formed an "alliance" with a song writer. This "union" produced many #1 hits. At one point, he had two top hits on the radio at the same time. Bonus points for guessing those songs.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Kenny Rogers
Elton John
dburt

Post by dburt »

Wasn't Kenny Rogers in 1st Edition? Or something with the name Edition in it?

I love music trivia- here's another one:

Who sang the one hit wonder "Mississipi Queen"?

Or another one: Who sang a one hit wonder "Drift Away"?

Here is a good one: who sang "Lunatic Fringe"?

Or who sang "Jenny 867-5301"?

No prizes for the right answer, just having your correct answers and name immortalized on the Sharkey forums is your reward!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart, You are just too smart.
DB, It was Kenny Rogers and The First Edition.
Mississippi Queen was done by Mountain. Leslie West played guitar.
Drift Away was Dobie Gray.
I don't know who did the other two songs. I bet Stuart does, though.

OK, Here's an easy one. Who did Innagadadevita?
GoodClue

Inagada..........a

Post by GoodClue »

Iron Butterfly ... ?
Rudy, did you see the question from the woman in Tennessee?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Doug, Are you making reference to the woman in east Tenn. on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum who is looking for a bus for her and her three children? If that is the case, there is nothing that I can do for her. I don't know of any buses for sale. DB gave a good suggestion as to calling school districts and asking if they have retired buses for sale. Rudy.
Last edited by Rudy on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoodClue

reply to Rudy

Post by GoodClue »

Didn't Iron Butterfly do Inagadadavita?

Recent Forum Posts
"single mom needs bus for home soon"
Forum BUY/SELL/TRADE

In northern Tennessee ... forget about it ... just a passing thought when I read here delima ...

I've been editing prior posts ... photos ... to fit ... good suggestion.

I have seen ads for the EBows, never new they worked on acoustic instruments ...
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Yeah Doug, I forgot about it the second I read the post. I don't need no "chillens" in my life. I've got two doggies, and that's enough. I would, however make accommodations for one woman of like mind. I am not holding my breath for that to happen. I just have to pay homage to my musical talents and survive in this crazy world.
Oh where Oh where has my hippie girl gone? Oh where Oh where can she be? With the hair on her pits, and no bra for her ...., Oh where Oh where can she be?
GoodClue

no chilluns ...

Post by GoodClue »

Rudy, again you are correct ... of the three major relationships I've had in my life I feel blessed I've not had kids from them ... seriously ... somehow, knowing each was not the correct person to have a family with.

I do prefer dogs, tho I have inherited a great cat ... I do feel the world is overpopulated, maybe not having kids is a way to break the karmic wheel ... ?

Write a song about that hippie chick ... I can picture her already ... visualizing can make it happen ...

Doug
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

All right then, Who did the Pina Colada song?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

My solution to overpopulation, which I thought of over thirty years ago, is for the government to pay any male, if they should choose, one thousand dollars to have a vasectomy. That would clean things up, don't you think?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart DID guess Elton John with the T-Rex song, but what were the two songs that were topping the charts and being played on the radio during his early years of fame? I think it was late seventies. I am not going to give any hints because Stuart is too clever. Let's see who comes up with the answer now!
dburt

Post by dburt »

"Lunatic Fringe" about 1981 by Red Ryder

"Jenny 867-5301" About 1980-82 by Tommy Tutone

(Both were sort of one hit wonders!)

Rudy, you are pretty good at musical trivia!!

When I was teaching high school back in the day, I was assigned to hall duty during lunch hour with another teacher for two years. I had one less class to teach, and rather enjoyed the social interaction with the kids. This was when MTV was just coming on strong, and our HS principal got the bright idea to get cable TV, and put a TV in the main hall way and put MTV on for the kids to watch. It was like a visual drug, they just all sat around and stared for an hour. Since that is where the kids hung out, we hung out there too so as to watch them like we were supposed to. Naturally I heard every hit song over and over again.

The only good that ever came out of it was that I became pretty good at musical trivia. And plus the fact that I listened to alot of different types of music growing up, from rock to pop, R&B, classical and country, instrumental etc. Never got into jazz tho.

Elton John- Benny and the Jets, Crocodile Rock, Daniel? (Rudy, maby you are better then me at musical Trivia!)

Here's a tough one- Paul Revere and the Raiders sang one song about a guy-gal relationship that was going sour that had a VietNam connection- can you name that tune??