Flashlights

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Rudy wrote:This next one is a self charging light that has a crank to supply the power. No batteries in this thing. Just crank it up until your arm is sore,(usually 5 or 6 minutes) and you'll get up to 40 minutes of light. It has three rows of LEDs on top. You can use all three or just one row. It has an AM and FM radio, a port to charge cell phones, an audio input for Ipods or portable CD players, a small LED nightlight, a compass on the top, and a port where you can power it with a 12 volt source. This was a mid priced unit available at department stores.

I bought two of these when I was in the States, as well as two of a different type from the same place and one of another brand at a more expensive place. All hand crank LED lanterns. When we had electrical problems in the rental RV on the last couple of nights, we used these lanterns for light at night. I also bought a couple of hand cranked LED torches while I was there which seem to work pretty well.
Last edited by stuartcnz on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Another Tasklight titanium model. This one is called Twintask. It has a Zenon bulb in the middle, and three LEDs around the outside of the lense. You can use either the middle bulb or the three LEDs.

Last edited by Rudy on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This one is made by Coast. They make very good flashlights. It runs on three AAA batteries in the cartridge. It has three LEDs. You can use one, two, or all three at a time. It has a titanium case as well. It was expensive.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I just had some home made chili, (two bowls worth). Now I just want to go to sleep. I am almost half way through the flashlight show and tell. I will continue tomorrow. As you know, I have plenty of free time right now. I sure hope that changes soon.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hi Rudy, that's an interesting assortment of flashlights you have. My most recent purchase is a small unit made by a company called Garrity. It uses 3 AAA cells and performs 5 functions. Solid flashlight (single LED) high, medium, low, slow flash, and fast flash. All in that order. It also has 3 battery status LEDs (green, yellow, and red). The green one flashes about every 5 seconds when the unit is off and is on continuous when in use. The yellow and red are supposed to indicate weak and low battery status. This unit cost about $7. My most intense flashlight is a 3 D cell Maglight that has been refitted with a 1 watt LED. It produces a near blinding beam (the LED cost nearly $20). Flashlights have sure come a long way in the last few years. Thank you

TMAX
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This is the baby brother to the 4AA flashlights. It has three LEDs and runs on three N size batteries. They are like AAA but half as tall. They are hard to find, so it is unlikely that I will put this one in to service. It was mid priced.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here are two small LED lights with a red lense. They work on four hearing aid type batteries. They are pretty much just decoration. Good for if you are walking around in the dark and don't want to get run over by a golf cart at a music festival. They were cheap and can be gotten at Walmart.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This is the big boy. It takes four D size batteries. It is a Maglite. It originally came with the regular Zenon bulb. I upgraded to a 3 watt high flux LED. The bulb cost more than the flashlight did. It is now the brightest flashlight that I have. It still has the adjustability of going from spot to wide beam that the Maglights are famous for. With the upgrade, this makes it an expensive flashlight.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Oops! Rudy, I think you're right on the Maglight. The LED is 3 and not 1 watt. I do know that they make the lamps for 2, 3, or 4 cell flashlights. Also the LEDs will fit other makes of flashlights as long as the original bulb is the PR type (PR2, PR3, or PR6). Just make sure the LED is proper for the number of cells in the flashlight.

As far as the flashlight that you have that uses N cells go, I had one like that about 15 years ago. It was waterproof, took 2 cells, and had a regular incandescent bulb in it. Small and bright.

The flashlight (if you want to call it that) that was my favourite was a lantern that I had over 30 years ago. Bought it at an antique store. It took a single #6 dry cell (telephone cell). I wound up giving it to an uncle who has since passed.

TMAX
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This next one is kinda neat. It is made by Coast and takes three AAA batteries in the cradle. It has two switches (one on each side). One is for the red LED in the center and the other one is for the five LEDs around the edge. This one is an aluminum body and is one of their LED Lenser series. The LEDs themselves have a built in lense on the top of each bulb which focuses the light and makes them much brighter. It was another expensive one I got from the tool truck.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This is another one made by Coast. It is an aluminum body. It takes three N style batteries. It is another one of their LED Lenser series. It has three LEDs. Another expensive one.

Last edited by Rudy on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

These are really neat. They are made by Streamlight and are the size of an inkpen. They use three AAAA batteries, which are somewhat difficult to find. They have one LED which is of average brightness. The rubber cap on the front focuses the light to a small beam. The optional lens cover, which you see on the photos is a magnifying lense which creates a spot light. They were mid priced and I got them from the tool truck. I have also seen them in auto parts stores.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

These are four cheap flashlights that aren't all that bright, even though they have nine LEDs. They take three AAA batteries in the cradle.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Rudy, FYI on the AAAA cells. There are 6 of them in every common 9 volt transistor battery.

TMAX
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

This is an unusual one. It is a Brinkman. A cheap flashlight with a plastic body which takes two AA batteries. It has a magnifying lense which creates a focused spot light. It has one LED and is not very bright.

Last edited by Rudy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.