photos from buses from grateful dead tour circa 80's

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

tjontour

photos from buses from grateful dead tour circa 80's

Post by tjontour »

hope this works...tj
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I think the bus in pic 7 in in Rogers book with a blue paint job
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Ah, the DeadHeads express! It really takes a person back to the hippie days. The allure of life on the road, brings to mind the Eagle's "Take it Easy". Most of the folks in the pics are probably gray haired and even respectable now. Some of them may even be grandparents! If we only could have known how quickly time passes us all by!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I thought that that was the bearded lady with the purple shirt standing alongside the green bus. I never knew that hair could grow like that. Some kind of strange!!!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I think the bus in pic 7 in in Rogers book with a blue paint job

Yes, that's Silverbear's bus "Patchs", also depicted on this site here. It's had a variety of paint jobs over the years. I got an email some months hack from Alicia, one of his travelling partners, who related in part:
Alicia wrote:I can fill in a lot of data about his bus, as I lived with him for years (formerly known as medusa~don't ask, I was awhite girl wearing cornrows long before Bo Derrick made them famous). The artwork~what's left of them~were done by Buckeye, whom I'm still close to.

SB painted all that horrid pink over them when we cut up the hood to make room for a bigger radiator b/c of chronic overheating problems. I can tell you all about the wood heating system meant to run the engine~it did, gving us tri-fuel (we ran on propane, gas, and a few times on wood, me feeding the tank in the back while we rolled.

He named the bus "Patchs" b/c it was a frankenstein creation from the beginning, with jet cockpits and other vehicles attached. It fit him well, as his main craft was leatherwork and he did beautiful patchwork leather garments and moccasins. Why did he drop the E in the name? Just to be different. It was one way for a major stoner to "make the world think", as he put it, in the '70s.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Tj,
you got any more pictures?
tjontour

Post by tjontour »

no more bus pics, lots of tour pics
EricHippie

Re: photos from buses from grateful dead tour circa 80's

Post by EricHippie »

tjontour wrote: Image
Yeah my bus.I have been searching for video or atleast pics of it on the net. this is the first.Its name is Traveling in the grey (NO WAR BUS). I bought it from a movie company in Seattle. it was used in the second to the last movie River Fenix called Dog Fights. I gutted it and did the inside. cool to watch it still seeing my bus as it goes over bumps gives me goosebumps. I am looking at another bus now its in washington with 3 21 window busses ontop. Happy travels.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Welcome to the forum Eric.
I look forward to any other tid bits you have from that era, and hope you keep us posted on your search for a new bus.
EricHippie

Post by EricHippie »

Here is a pic of the back of my bus #10 in the pics taken after the tour and Jerry past.

Well here is my new bus got delivered on Monday.

splummer

Post by splummer »

eric ,keep them coming , steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began