Heroes

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Heroes

Post by Rudy »

As you well know, I post a lot of articles on Sharkey's site. I have been reading some stories recently that have prompted me to tell you about the courage of my Mom in a situation that could have been easily my last days on earth.

I was five years old and my brother was four. It was winter in Vermont. My Dad was away on business. We lived on the second floor of the house. I still have memories of my Dad working on televisions. He was good at that.

So, what happened was that the man downstairs in the first floor apartment had fallen asleep with a cigarette burning. Because of that, he set the house on fire.

Luckily, my Mom woke up in time. The thing I remember was me and my brother waking up from bouncing on the stairs while my Mom had us each by the wrist and running through flames and smoke. When I think about it, I can still smell the smoke.

She dragged us out into the road, and we watched as the house burned down. The man on the first floor perished. It was mere seconds that saved the three of us. Some neighbors took us in that night.

There are many heroes that people never hear of. I am going to call my Mom during this Christmas season and thank her for saving my life.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Wow Rudy What a great story
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I'm glad she saved your life Rudy, This world needs a lot more people like you.
Chuck

P.S. This is one time I'm not cracking a stupid joke.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Wow Rudy- that was a very close one!!
Bob

Post by Bob »

I cant remember if Rudy ever told me that story? But it is a great one! Rudy and I saved each others live at least once (as far as I can remember)
We were in a leather shop in Oregon and they had a heater on that was running off of a 5-gallon propane tank. Suddenly the valve broke and propane was leaking out fast and all over the flaming heater. Rudy instantly yelled "Towel" , and in one quick leap and throw I had the towel in his hands and he got it wrapped around the bomb to contain the leaking gas as we got it shut off. We all might have died there...so thanks Rudy for your fast thinking!
Wherever I am...I am home.