Snow

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Snow

Post by Rudy »

I had a special treat today. I was sitting in my truck, about to go pay my cell phone bill when my phone rang. So, I say hello, and the voice on the line says, Rudy? I say yes. He says, this is Dennis The Bus Dweller.

I was happily surprised. I have not met Dennis, but we have a camaraderie that stems from our communications on the forums.

He asked me if we had gotten any snow here in Tn. I told him that last night was just dust in the wind. Dennis got 26 inches on Long Island. I told him that that reminded me of growing up in Connecticut.

We chatted a while and talked about how there is not much work. We also talked about what it is like to be poor. Fortunately, we both live in vehicles and have a low overhead.

And yes, Dennis DOES have that New York accent. I actually thought he sounded more like New Jersey. He certainly is my Homeboy.

As I said, it was a real treat. Dennis has a big heart and will help anybody in need. Sharkey once told me that if it were not for him and a few other posters, he would not have been able to overcome the trials and tribulations he has been through.

Dennis also told me that Sharkey's forums have come to life in the last few months. I certainly am doing my part to make it so. I also want to thank everyone who has joined in the celebration of this family of "bus people".

So as long as there's no place to go, let it snow let it snow, let it snow.

Merry Christmas everyone. Rudy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Jersey? That was cold man :(
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
splummer

Post by splummer »

snow missed us but was cold 27 below here
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

No snow here. :roll:

Hey, it happens every once in a while! :lol: :lol:

Mark
dburt

Post by dburt »

No snow right now in the Boise valley area of our place in SW Idaho, but there is snow in the mountains and in our home area of NE Oregon. We have had an inversion lately in the Boise (Treasure Valley as it is known locally) area, so lots of fog, temps in the 20's and 30's.

At our home stomping grounds of NE Oregon, we always have lots of snow in the winter. I have seen it dump up to 30 inches at a time, but that has been quite a few years ago. Coldest I ever saw in the Wallowa Valley was a genuine, official -38 below in December of '85 a couple of nights in a row with -20 during the day.

One winter back in '77 I was my buddy's best man at his wedding to a Canadian gal way far up north in the Peace River country. (due east of the Yukon- Sargent Preston of the RCMP and all that!) Think cold! Really REALLY cold! 45 below at night, up to 40 below during the day. No, that is not wind chill, that is a real temp! I drove up there in my '71 Citroen DS 21 sedan. You had to plug your car's engine heater in at night and use a special blow torch and stove pipe technique to turn your engine oil back to a liquid before you could try and start your car in the morning. Of course the Citroen used it's own special type of hydraulic fluid for the suspension system and it took an hour of idling in the mornings before it could raise up off it's haunches and get ready to roll. Some of the old timer German decended immigrants I talked to up there told me that they had seen it get as cold as -60 below a few times in the old days!

When we got back to the US border crossing in north Idaho on the way back home, it was 0 degrees and it actually felt warm! I guess it is all a matter or preception. Imagine the shock to the circulation system of a Canadian who goes all the way to Arizona in the winter time to thaw out after having been in that bitter cold!

Arizona sure does look REALY good this time of year! Just can't afford it.

By the way DennisTBD, out here in the west if we hear someone with a "Joisy" or "New Yawk" accent we all gather around to hear them talk, they are about as much an oddity as someone with a real down south accent. :lol:
Bob

Post by Bob »

There is comfort in knowing that there are others out there like ourselves, fellow rubber tramps. This is a great forum for that! I hope all of you in the cold have a nice warm winter! As for me, after spending several winters in the midwest I do my best to be where the weather is good. I am in Quartzsite Az and I cant do any complaining about the weather although its been cooler than usual but it is still in the 60's in the daytime. I love that everyone here lives in some kind of mobile unit...I wish all towns were like this.
I got set up with a parking spot in a vending area next to a beer garden, they are supplying me with electricity and a tent with a stage to be the music guy here...free living and vending space. They are trying to have a pool table brought in for me too...gotta love it! I will let you know about my pool sometime...Rudy knows.
I hope that you all have a great Christmas, no broken pipes, no frozen holding tanks and no leaks!
Wherever I am...I am home.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Oh yeah, I have not mentioned yet that as well as being an awesome guitar player, Bob is also an ace pool player. He did win the Tennessee open a few years back. I stopped playing pool with him because he never let me win. It just was not fair. I think you should take a dive for your friend every once in a while.

I am pretty good at Scrabble, but I had a girlfriend once who would beat me 90% of the time. During the last game we played, I told her that if she had let me win some of the time, I would have continued to play with her. If I was as good as her, I would have taken a dive every once in a while just so that we could keep on playing.

So Bob gets no pool playing from me and Sharon gets no Scrabble games from me. The funny thing is that neither one of them can play accordion.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis, Sorry about the Jersey comment. Because you are so close, maybe it is contagious.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, wasn't the accordian and the guitar the instruments of choice traditionaly among the Gypsies? That would explain the guitar pickin' and accordian playing among some of the regulars of this forum and website. Oh, and good story telling too!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I sure hope that Goodclue (Doug)is OK. I know that he is at a high altitude in Colorado. I haven't heard from him in a while. Maybe he is snowed in. It must be cold when he has to use the Incinolet in that tent.

I know that he has to go to town and does his internet posting there. I hope to here from him soon.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DB, The accordion is a popular instrument amongst Gypsies. Look on the last postings of Music Central and you will see one of Jamey's accordion to the left of the congas.
GoodClue

Hey Rudy ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hey Rudy ... it may be cold here but looks like everyone to the east/north east is getting it, or getting ready to ...
Our weather is average for Colo ... and I still think we get better weather than most ...
The hotspot I frequent closes at 8pm Mtn time ... I was beginning to chat with you when I had to shut down for the eve ... might be the same tonight. I get to this place earlier than most, sometimes 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and check to see who is online.
I then go through the various posts to see whose done what to who ...
The chat is a good thing, I just have to shut down earlier than most ...
Doug
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It does not snow much here in Tennessee, but the white stuff is coming down today. It is not much, but I thought I would post a few pictures of it.

Last edited by Rudy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:18 am, edited 8 times in total.
dburt

Post by dburt »

The ice fog went away yesterday, and it got up to 40 with the sun shining here in SW Idaho. Seeing the snow in Tennessee seems strange! But I guess the midwest and even parts of the south are supposed to get hammered with a new cold wave and winter weather in the next few days. I personally am in favor of global warming, :twisted: I hate shoveling the white stuff and sliding around on slick roads. Just think, under the Antartic there is supposed to be a very sizeable continent or land mass. If we could just get rid of the ice and snow, maby a bunch of folks could move down there and away from all the land mass that is supposed to be too hot for humans when the global warming hits full stride!

In the mean time, the folks down south and even in Florida are going to miss global warming the next few days when the cold wave hits! :lol:
splummer

Post by splummer »

rudy those are great pictures, looks nice therte ,i espeially love the quesen hut, i wish i had one any more pics of it. thanks oh yeah i just sent you some snow pics , steve