winter projects

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

splummer

winter projects

Post by splummer »

well we have the food stamp gourmet ,in which i like so i know we dont spend all our time cooking , i was wondering if we could start anther section on our projects, i have plenty , ruby has his metal work , so how about it
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Steve, I presume you meant to write Rudy, not Ruby. If that is the case, I am just working on one project right now. That is a 6 inch flying saucer. My friend is showing me how to work with metal. He may be here at the shop today. If so, I will take photos.

Send me some photos of your projects with some explanations, and I will post them. I'll let you write the details about them. Rudy
splummer

Post by splummer »

i love photos and yes i meant rudy not ruby i was reading about the food and got to excited that i messed up my spelling
splummer

Post by splummer »

also some pics of the shop would be cool. goingg out tonight and buying some rebar and will be welding them into trees
dburt

Post by dburt »

Here are a couple of pojects that I am working on. The first one is a 1944 Allis Chalmers C tractor with factory belly mount sickle bar mower. I do the mechanical stuff and then I trade with a friend of mine for the paint. I need to put the new steering wheel on it to finish it out, and then it will be ready to sell. When I got this tractor it was painted an ugly gray color, and the rear tires were Idaho-may-pops, so I replaced them with good used tires. It needed a battery, battery tray, wiring, oil and filter change, the dents banged out, grill straightened, etc.

The International M tractor is a 1941 that I will rebuild the carb on, I had to repair a partly rusted out rear rim on one side, build a battery tray and get a new battery too, change the oil and filter, put one newer rear tire on the repaired rim, etc. I will finish the carb rebuild when I get the kit that is coming via UPS, and then it will go to paint.

Since I lost my last job 18 months ago at the auto dealership, I have resorted to my old work of buying and fixing up older tractors and the occasional old truck or whatever I can find! Old tractors are very popular with folks who have a few acres that they make into thier hobby farms. They always want and need a 3-point hitch, a pto, and then they are good to go with most attachments for thier hobby farming.

Last edited by dburt on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
splummer

Post by splummer »

dburt you do nice work, i really like the 41 international,at present iam doing a 51 gmc xm211, will wait till spring to do more on her ,i cant fit it in the shop so she sit covered waiting . in the shop i have a 48 dodge power wagon that iam putting back together
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Keep an eye out for IH Cub Cadet tractors and parts. I have a 1969 model 122 that is constantly in need of repair. Most of the time I can find what I need on eBay, but finding a parts tractor would make a lot of sense, particularly if it had the creeper gear and rear PTO. Implemets and accessories (wheel weights, mower decks, etc) are interchangable among a lot of the IH and other make tractors, much of it was made by Brinley.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Will do Sharkey! I go to alot of farm auctions looking for old tractors. There is also a place in Nampa (near Boise) called Nampa Tractor Salvage and he usually carries alot of older tractors and parts.

It seems as the economy worsens, more folks are doing gardens and raising livestock, chickens, etc. So a small tractor is very handy to have around when you are doing the farming thing. Plus, if you get a good one and take reasonable care of it, they never lose value, you can always get your money back out of it.

I used to deal in antique cars, antique travel trailers, trucks etc, but those markets have really softened with the bad economy around here, so I am trying to stick with something that folks still seem to need even when the money is hard to find.

Usually I try to stick to John Deere tractors, especially the older 2-cylinder tractors, but I have hit a dry spell trying to find any of them lately that I can buy right, so every so often I take in an orphan like an IH, AC or even a MM (Minn. Moline) so as to have something to keep the cash flow going! :lol:

I do have a person who wants to trade a 1965 Dodge M43 military ambulance in on my '72 M35 Deuce-and-a-half military truck, the M43 needs repairs of course, and so it may join the list of projects for work around here this winter if the guy and I can get together on the amount of boot he will have to pony up to complete the deal.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I have a friend who is working on a deal to get me a Ford 8N with implemets and a loader. About the only reservation I have is that I hate gasoline engines and would much prefer a diesel.
splummer

Post by splummer »

how about . maybe putting in a cummins4 bta
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yeah, just what I needed another project. I have two turbo deisel engines sitting around waiting to be transplanted into vehicles, I don't think I have much desire to add another just yet....
dburt

Post by dburt »

Here are a couple of potential projects, and another tractor I just finished. The tractor is a 1954 Allis Chalmers WE45 gas engine. It has a rebuilt carb, new battery, fresh paint, nice live PTO, 3-point hitch etc. I think it will sell for about $2,500 or so. It is a good size for a small chore tractor on a small acreage. I have 3 other tractors in various stages of completion and when they are done, I think I might start something different for a change of pace.

The little trailer is a 1940's or '50's Robin Hood, made in Pasedena, California. It is rough inside, needs alot of work, maby even alot of the wood framing replaced, but the aluminum skin is nice. It has the original icebox, little two burner camp stove and small sink. I think I can salvage the cabinets, at least the doors and drawer fronts. There is a double bed in the back. I used to do alot with antique or vintage camp trailers, fix them up, buy and sell them etc.

The old 1953? GMC 2-ton farm truck has about 80,000 original miles on it, it was running well a couple of years ago when it was parked, the motor is a 270 GMC straight 6-cylinder with a 4-spd trans and 2-spd rear end. The motor is not stuck, so I think it will be easy to get running well again. The cab is not rusted out, I will need to replace 1/2 of the windshield and both side windows. The mice were not kind to the interior, so that will require some major upholstery work. I think I will try and incorporate some of the original farm bed and side racks into some kind of old fashioned hippy or hillbilly cabin on the back, and have my friend who does all the painting for my projects to paint the truck an original dark green or dark blue color.

So- this is a sample of what an over-the-hill person who can't find a regular paying job anymore does when the chips are down and the bills have to still be paid. Old tractors, old trucks, old vintage camp trailers, or anything else someone else likes to collect. Oh, and old buses too!

This is the IH M tractor that was shown earlier in this forum in the restoration phase- here it is finished. I sold it for $3,000 with a new battery, rebuilt carb, nice 3-point hitch, good tires, fresh paint, fresh LOF service, etc.
Last edited by dburt on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Are those hops trellis' in the background?

Mark
dburt

Post by dburt »

They sure are! You have sharp eyes Mark! Down in SW Idaho where we have a place, they grow lots of hops! This trailer belonged to an old neighbor and friend of mine who died as the result of falling off of a ladder and hitting his head on the cement floor a couple of years ago. I was going to buy the trailer before he was killed, so I got a hold of his son recently, and his son said he would go ahead and sell me the trailer. This picture was taken at an old hops processing warehouse where my friend stored a huge inventory of Ford Model A parts. He was well known for his rare Ford Model A collection and knowledge of Model A's. He had the earliest made Model A known to still exsist, he restored a rare Woodie, another car was an all original '28 2-door that only had a few thousand original miles, and had many many more rare and restored Model A cars, and other makes of collector cars. He was also a hops farmer, and had many hundereds of acres of hops.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DB, that trailer looks to be the same vintage as the 53 Schiebout that I had. It's pictured on my 1973 Blue Bird thread.
I was wondering what all those poles were in the background. Now I know.
Got love? Give love.