winter projects

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

An old friend who grew up in Canada used to make chairs the same as those ones that Splummer does.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Granny- that pickup rack is like putting the $500 saddle on the $50 horse!
That rack looks nice enough to be a head and foot board for a fancy bed!
Granny

Post by Granny »

DB, funny you should say that. I was accused of using old hospital bed side rails to make that. I assure you, I did not. I built those out of the same pipe stash I have that I have made my panels out of. Yes, I bent my own pipe, using leverage and the front heavy framework on a tractor. And, those round knobs up front, those are all towing balls, the ones with the center hole in them that the bolt drops down through, that I believe are illegal these days. I welded the bolts in and ground them off smooth. That is a real handy little utility trailer, sturdy, only thing left that it needs is a new floor in it. There is quite a story to why that old Chevy pickup got made into a utility trailer. And, it is surprising what a can of spray paint does to make something look like lots nicer.
splummer

Post by splummer »

looks like everyone been busy making things, cool, ginger one of my pleasures in life is goig picking in a scrape yard , thirty acreas of cool junk, i would have thought i died and went to heaven .i would like to see some pics of the scrape yard .
splummer

Post by splummer »

oh yeah , forgot i will send you a pic of something i made this afternoon , you inspired me to make this
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Granny found an old metal tractor seat at the scrapyard recently. She is going to make a chair out of it. It is such a cool idea that it inspired Splummer to make one also. Here is the one Splummer made.

Got love? Give love.
Granny

Post by Granny »

That is a cool chair you made, sure wish I could have thought of that :D .
Steve, actually, I am so glad that I could be inspiring to someone. I can't wait to get mine finished so I can show it off, too. Today is a day to work on my pickup racks, though. I have to get them "useable" by tomorrow night, then back on the road Wednesday to Boise, with a load.

Rudy, we appreciate you so much for posting our photos for us.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Guess what, I didn't get the racks finished till this afternoon. These are the big racks like for hauling livestock in the back of your pickup. Lots more work building them than I originally thought. So, now I'm not heading out for Boise till tomorrow morning (a day late as usual).
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here is another chair that Splummer recently made. Notice the beautiful wood stove in the background. There is a close up photo of in on the Stoves Thread.

Got love? Give love.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Here are some updated pictures of the little 1947 Robin Hood camp trailer I am "refurbishing". What a project! :roll: Lots of rotten wood and framing that I have replaced. I polished on the exterior, but with lots of deep scratches, gouges and dents, it did not polish up to a mirror polish, but it looks a lot better. I also had to replace the axle with a new 3500 lb axle with brakes, and had to replace the tires and rims with new ones. I am starting on the interior, it seems everything I start to fix or repair ends up making me have to fix or repair hidden damage that comes to light, so each phase gets longer and longer. Oh well, such is the travails of restoring or refurbishing something. The picture of the cast iron implement seat bar stools show what I was making about 8 years ago, I made alot of these bar stools and sold them for about $225 each, and for some reason I ended up with 4 of them I never sold. I had a buddy that had a pipe bending machine with dies for 1.5-inch square tube, so I had a great way to bend the square tubing into an "S" shape, then I used the discs off of offset farm disc plows for the bases. I enjoy making things, I am not as keen on restoring or fixing old things, it seems once you start- all sorts of problems crop up that makes the job longer, harder, and more expensive they you had anticipated! :cry:

Granny

Post by Granny »

DB, that is quite some project you have undertaken, restoring that trailer. It appears it might have been easier, having just built one all new, but not nearly as much fun.
Those are darling bar stools. I better keep my farm equipment away from you, you'll be using the parts to build stuff out of! :)
splummer

Post by splummer »

db nice tractor seats, i also have a friend that has a pipe bender , i think i have used it more then he, a very useful tool to have, keep up the nice work. steve
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Granny

Post by Granny »

Spring started the 20th of this month. I am thinking we need to start a thread for "Spring Projects". I was just realizing that.
Rudy

dburt's finished trailer

Post by Rudy »

dburt has finished restoring the 1947 trailer. Nice work. Here is a description and many photos.

Up for bid is a rare vintage 1947 Robin Hood camping trailer manufactured in Pasadena, California in the classic "canned ham" look. This rare, 63-year old vintage survivor is 12 feet long including the tongue, with a 10 feet long by 6.5 feet wide body. It stands 8 feet tall, and has 6 feet of interior headroom at the tallest point. The door is 4 feet 9-inches tall, and the double bed inside measures 75-inches long by 52-inches wide. The vintage 6-ply 7.00X15 tires are brand new, and are mounted on a new EZ-lube 3,500lb capacity axle with electric brake option. The brakes are not hooked up to the wiring harness, but could be done so easily by the new owner.

This trailer had been bought as salvage many years ago by a man who was going to restore it and use it as a static display with his vast antique auto collection. However, he died before he could began work on the trailer so I bought the trailer from the estate to keep it from being sent to the scrap yard. I then began a refurbishment of the trailer, using as many of the original components and parts as possible. I had to replace much of the lower wood framing, and added rigid insulation where possible, as seen in the photos. I had to replace the roof vent with a new style unit, and rebuild the entry door with new plywood but included the original style screened lower section with the removable panel. The two side windows are original, even to the small hole in one window caused by a BB gun! The front and rear fixed windows are replacement plexi-glass units. The flooring is a new replacement for a period-correct look. I had to replace one rear fir plywood panel at the back of the trailer with a new birch plywood panel as seen in the photos. I did a preliminary polishing of the trailer, so the real hard work is done. It could be polished again for an even brighter look if so desired. The taillights are new, as well as the 12 volt wiring harness. The coupler takes a 2-inch ball, and has new replacement safety chains. The spare tire is old and badly weather checked, and should be replaced with a better tire on the original rim.

The aluminum skin of the trailer still bears the scars of many years of use, with small dents, scratches, and rub marks as seem in the photos. Remember, this is a 63-year old survivor, not a new trailer and is priced accordingly. The dings, dents, scratches and marks of many years of use are now part of the patina. There is no title for the trailer, and it will be sold with a bill of sale only as a refurbished trailer. I have the original propane tank dated 1947, and the original 2-burner cook stove that will go with the trailer. They should be checked over by a licensed, certified propane appliance dealer before being put back in service.

There is a small original ice-box, and a small sink. There is no water tank, or holding tanks as this was not the style when the trailer was built. There is the original water line to the sink where you can hook up a garden-type hose from a water source. The drain for the sink just had a hose that went to the outside to be dumped into an external waste water tank or on the ground. I am leaving the type of bed mattress and window curtains up to the new owner. I have learned in the past that whatever you put in a refurbished trailer for a bed type and window curtains will not always meet with the approval of the new owner, so it is better to leave those choices up to them!

I replaced the original 120 volt electrical service with a new external RV style plug-in box, wiring, and one internal double plug-in recepticle. Interior lights were of the flashlight or lantern type! But in a campground with hook-ups you could plug in a lamp or electric griddle, toaster, or coffe pot. There is no key for the original entry door locking handle and I have been searching for some type of secure locking mechanism for the exterior of the door. The easiest method would be to use a hasp and padlock like many old trailers used, but I am reluctant to do that on this refurbished trailer so the new owner can make the call on how to secure the trailer door.

Full payment will need to be made within 7 business days end of the auction. Personal checks will need time to clear the bank before the trailer is released. Bank certified checks or even cash work best. I suggest that if you have any questions, that you come and inspect the trailer before bidding. Remember, your bid to buy is just that, it is not bidding to have the chance of first refusal! If you do not intend to bid to own, please don't waste my time by bidding just for fun. Again, this is not a new trailer- it is a refurbished/restored 63-year old survivor and you should expect the trailer to show normal age and wear. It is for sale locally, and if someone comes along and wants to buy it locally before the reserve bid amount is met, I may chose to close the auction down early. The trailer is located in SW Idaho, about 45 miles west of Boise near the town of Parma, Idaho.

Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

More trailer pics.

Got love? Give love.