Theoretical Question

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Mark B

Theoretical Question

Post by Mark B »

I have a friend that is on the verge of being homeless. He has about seven grand to his name and myself and another guy have been talking him into getting a motorhome so he has a roof over his head.

I have been doing some research since and have come to the conclusion that this is bad advice. It seems for stealth camping in an urban environment, a full sized van may be the best option. I have the tools and abilities to help him convert this to living quarters, but what do you think, is this the way to go? I know Rudy has lived in a van. What do you think he should do?

If it helps, he's got nothing coming in and not much chance of getting anything long-term going. Maybe some part time income; enough for gas and some food.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark
Tim Clevenger

Post by Tim Clevenger »

A white cargo-type van would probably be best for urban hiding. In the parking lot where I work, a motorhome was parked in the rear of the lot and was immediately tagged, but there are white cargo vans parked everywhere. Heavily tint the rear windows, install something to block the view of the cargo area from the front and you should be able to blend in anywhere. Plus, they're cheaper to operate and easier to maneuver.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Or perhaps a one ton dually box truck on a Ford or Chev van chassis. Something with a 14-18 foot box, sometimes they are on an Isuzu cab-over chassis. They look like a contractor's truck, or a delivery truck. Very stealth! Especially if you put a name of some type of company or service on the side of the truck. "AAA Lawn Care" "Ace Plumbing" "Rapid Delivery Service" etc.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Follow up:

My friend came by last night with his “new homeâ€
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Mark, the secret to living on the streets with a motorhome is to never park in the same place every night. Move around and park on different streets. Get blackout window curtains. Don't blast music or TV. Use headphones.
Walmarts are good places to park, but don't stay for more that two nights at a time. Look for 24 hour businesses. Again, stay there for only two nights.
The best bet is to find a friend with property and ask if you can park there and help out with things to help defray your "rent".
Urban camping is tough. People like us are viewed as subversives. Stealth is a key issue. It is good that your friend got something that already has all the necessary utilities inside.
A motorhome, however is NOT stealth.
The MOST important thing is to keep moving. Do NOT stay on any street for more than one night. Move a block over.
I have been living in vehicles for thirty years. I know what it takes. Rudy
splummer

Post by splummer »

mark , verygood advice from rudy, altho i dont have the experiance in urban camping, i did camp out one winter , a couple of years ago in my caddy hearse, i must say a 70 caddy hearse is not stealth i stayed in fla for abiut a month or so , waiting for a friend to finish a bunckh of s craft fairs. i did the same thing as rudy says , i kept as low a profile as i could and kept on moving, i had no problems so if i can do it in a old black hearse and if your friend is cool ,he should be ok, also feel free to send out some pics steve
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I’ll get some pics when I can and post them. It was dusk when he got to my house last night and we were scrambling to get lights running so we could see the inside.

Rudy, thanks for the urban camping tips. I will pass those along to my friend. Right now, he’s planning to go up north for a visit to his brother, who has property he can park on. That will probably help him transition into the mobile lifestyle.

I forgot to mention that the van has a huge auxiliary gas tank that I think also feeds the genset. If he can get the generator running and maybe supplement that with a solar panel, or two, it would be a good boondocking rig. I suggested he get it set up that way and consider spending some time at the slabs. Might be fun.

Mark
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Mark. Slab City and Quartzsite in Arizona are geared towards the many people who love the motorhome lifestyle. In the winter, many thousands of RVers go there. It is very hot in the summer. Nevertheless, it is one of the safe havens for people of that ilk.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Rudy wrote:Mark. Slab City and Quartzsite in Arizona are geared towards the many people who love the motorhome lifestyle. In the winter, many thousands of RVers go there. It is very hot in the summer. Nevertheless, it is one of the safe havens for people of that ilk.
Yeah, I know. That's what I was talking about when I said "the slabs". I wouldn't mind spending some time out there, checking out the scene.

Mark
Stealth Camper

Stealth camping

Post by Stealth Camper »

Don't mean to butt in here, but I have spent a lot of time camping for the last 3 1/2 years and it sure seems like an RV place on a monthly basis would be a lot less stress, plus more stable. Mine is pretty cheap at $400 per month bills paid - electric, water. I do have to buy propane, but electric heaters make that pretty minimal. Really only have to use the gas for hot water.

If there is a mobile home park around, they sometimes let in campers monthly, at cheaper rate, but have to pay electric and water, so evens out.

Plus, I am stuck in a travel trailer, while my bus project sits rusting behind a family barn. 1976 International schoolie. Biggest I could find - 36ft.

Also, have been lurking in the weeds watching this site for a decade or so and have been meaning to join, so will say hello again when I get signed up.
graydawg

stealth camping thats what they call my lifestyle

Post by graydawg »

this is james graydawgs driver, I didn't know there were others out there imitating my lifestyle partially by choice and the other by nessity, almost lost my paid for 14x70 mobile home because I got 6 weeks behind on lot rent at a mobile home park $100 per mth. landlord filed the paperwork through the local sherrifs office (I was in the hospital) and he knew where i was, to take possesion of my trailer for the $200 lot rent I owed him YESSIREE just happened to get the delivery of the paperwork when the sherrifs dept brought it out, the day i got out of hospital. I paid the lot rent by borrowing it from family, and paid that back also, it even cost me the $60 he paid to try and steal my home from me, it was just an average moblie home, nothing fancy but nice and it was paid for. I decided that I would not live there another month, I sold my mobile home on the 3rd day in the thrifty nickle classified paper, took the money and bought a motorhome used but in good shape, I will not ever own anything that I can't move myself, off of rented property, I almost lost my home be it a simple one to a legal thief, I also advertised what he tried to do to me which in turn has almost cost him his bussiness. there are some schroud people in this world, it could have cost him his life though.