Photography

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

dburt

Post by dburt »

Dusty- that picture of the road looks alot like the terrain around SE Oregon and SW Idaho in the desert mountains. I love to roam around the BLM (vast public lands) in the area, just to get away from town, people, pressure, etc.
Jones'n4chrome

Re: Photography

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Sharkey wrote:This is a new topic in response to an inquiry by Chuck (Jonesn'4chrome) about an image that appeared in a banner that I used to use in my signature. I hope I picked the correct photograph according to his description.

Some members of the forum may have their own favorite photos, so this would be the place to post them. I don't intend for this to become a humor thread, so posting dopey joke images, heavily photoshopped fake images, etc. is discouraged. Please don't go comb Google Images to find the most outrageous photos of impossible or improbable situations, and for sure don't put up anything from "thereifixedit.com". I don't mean for this topic to be all dour and stodgy, a little levity is fine, but keep the focus on the photo, not the reaction it invokes.

<hr>
Leading off, here's my submission.

The subject is a Japanese-style tea house located at Belknap Hot Springs and Resort outside of McKenzie Bridge, Oregon. The house itself is built atop the concrete spillway of a venerable hydro-electric plant which was installed at this location when the property was a sawmill. The rectangular opening under the house is where the water entered from a flume. Inside the house is a vertical shaft electric generator which was still in place when I took the photo. Originally, the shaft went through the floor where it connected to an impulse runner to collect the energy of the falling water. A curved, wooden pathway leads from the surrounding gardens to the entry of the house.

The entire grounds of Belknap Springs is landscaped and includes a fanciful water garden, fed by the same diversion water as the pond in the photo above.

This image was taken with a cheap Cannon digital camera in 1998 in 640 x 480 size in a fairly compressed JPEG format. It's one of my favorite desktop wallpapers.
Hi Sharkey,
That is the photo I was talking about. In your banner it was cropped so all that could be viewed was the roofline, every time I saw it, I always wanted to see the whole photograph. I always thought it would be beautiful, but actually this photo far exceeds what I expected. Not only am I glad to see it again, I'm glad it's the first photo to start this topic. Thanks for digging it out.

Chuck
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Parked at Marfells Beach earlier in 09. I watched this group of seagulls playing in the waves ,

They must have been practicing their syncronized surfing , as their timing was near perfect.

Last edited by Dusty on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Hey Dusty, I just read your interview on HTNZ. The top photo that I posted on this thread is on the Maruia Saddle, it was part of our maintenance contract. I'm impressed that you managed to get a bus over it.

For people not familiar with the Maruia Saddle, it is an original stage coach road over a mountain saddle, which is stil maintained and open to as a public road. It is still in similar condition to when it was used by stage coaches. I will post another couple of photos of it when I find them.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Yeah, that was a moments insanity Stuart, it wasn't untill a long time later that I was diagnosed as chemically sensitive and I had just finished spray painting a truck before we left on that trip. :shock: .

One of the effects chemicals have on me is reduced ability to make rational decisions ..................... :roll:
58 Bedford House
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

stuartcnz wrote:Hey Dusty, I just read your interview on HTNZ. The top photo that I posted on this thread is on the Maruia Saddle, it was part of our maintenance contract. I'm impressed that you managed to get a bus over it.

For people not familiar with the Maruia Saddle, it is an original stage coach road over a mountain saddle, which is stil maintained and open to as a public road. It is still in similar condition to when it was used by stage coaches. I will post another couple of photos of it when I find them.
Stuart,
Do you have a link to Dusty's interview?

Chuck
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hey, why don't you guys go bug Stu at Housetrucks New Zealand to come join the Chat one night? He's already a member here. I guess for that matter, I could go bug him myself, but it's always easier to get someone else to do your bugging for you...
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I've been trolling thru my photos , there are a few that I can post here showing some aspects of non-tourist NZ.

Still with the seagulls at marfells Beach.

Beautiful isolation , and only a few kms off the main road. Shell fish in abundance.
Last edited by Dusty on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Of course , the nice spots are known to like minded folk .... :roll:

Its always interesting meeting new people , but I'm a strange sod and its even better when they leave again.
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Here's the link to Dusty's interview.

http://www.htnz.co.nz/?page_id=47
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I guess , cause it's winter on your side of the world just now, here's a pic in sympathy, I am hiding near Rakaia , fresh snow on the alps in the distance and a lovely frost on the ground.

I love an excuse to light the fire :)

I got a weeks fuel for the range, from under those trees :D
58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Later , a bit closer to those mountains , the sun peeked thru ...

And not a soul to be seen . 8)

PS , you see those tall trees right at the end of the road ,, yep ,, old man pine 8) More free fuel :D
58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Further north , looking towards the Kaikoura Range , more fresh snow , and a hare that is soon not to be there...

Despite the white stuff , it was a lovely, calm, warm day. The bus was going well and once again , no one in sight.

This is State hwy 1.
58 Bedford House
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dusty, were you passing someone when you took those photos? :D

Since we seem to be in landscape mode, here's one I took in 2001 at the Painted Hills in Eastern Oregon:

It had been raining on and off on an otherwise hot July day, and the colors of the hills were brilliant.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

How about from natural beauty to man made.... Well..... you be the judge?

Las Vegas:

Anybody seen my dadburn boat?

Mark