Photography

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Photography

Post by Sharkey »

This is a new topic in response to an inquiry by Chuck (Jonesn'4chrome) about an image that appeared in a banner that I used to use in my signature. I hope I picked the correct photograph according to his description.

Some members of the forum may have their own favorite photos, so this would be the place to post them. I don't intend for this to become a humor thread, so posting dopey joke images, heavily photoshopped fake images, etc. is discouraged. Please don't go comb Google Images to find the most outrageous photos of impossible or improbable situations, and for sure don't put up anything from "thereifixedit.com". I don't mean for this topic to be all dour and stodgy, a little levity is fine, but keep the focus on the photo, not the reaction it invokes.

<hr>
Leading off, here's my submission.

The subject is a Japanese-style tea house located at Belknap Hot Springs and Resort outside of McKenzie Bridge, Oregon. The house itself is built atop the concrete spillway of a venerable hydro-electric plant which was installed at this location when the property was a sawmill. The rectangular opening under the house is where the water entered from a flume. Inside the house is a vertical shaft electric generator which was still in place when I took the photo. Originally, the shaft went through the floor where it connected to an impulse runner to collect the energy of the falling water. A curved, wooden pathway leads from the surrounding gardens to the entry of the house.

The entire grounds of Belknap Springs is landscaped and includes a fanciful water garden, fed by the same diversion water as the pond in the photo above.

This image was taken with a cheap Cannon digital camera in 1998 in 640 x 480 size in a fairly compressed JPEG format. It's one of my favorite desktop wallpapers.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Shot with my cell phone: Just north of Moreno Valley, CA. We had just had some rain so the valley was nice and green.
Last edited by Mark B on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sharkey, I'd like to live there. Mark, Mark, Mark, Thats a great pic but where is it :roll:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

A favorite of mine. It is of candles inside paper bags in the desert on an overnight camping trip. My brother took the photo. I still don't know how the bags don't start on fire.

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Simple, the bags have sand in the bottom.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Well, I'll be an SOB :D I'll try a keepmy eye open for somethin cool to snap a pic of
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

Snapped today between Highland and Mentone, CA. The mountains in the background have a dusting of snow on top and those are orange trees down below.

Mark
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I took this one with a 35mm camera a few years ago while working on the roads. I was sent out to look for flood damage in a small truck during some heavy rain and took this one out the window.

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

This one was taken at around the same time on 35mm transparency. This was in the bush, just off a gravel road that we maintained.

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

This was taken about one hundred miles north of the last two. Shot on 35mm transparency.

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

This one was taken a couple of hundred yards further along the road from the last one, in weather more common to that area. Again shot on 35mm transparency. The whitish line to the right of the island is one of only a few naturally occurring boulder banks in the world.

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Stuart, you tantalize me. The only other country on the planet that I have any interest in visiting is New Zealand. Pity it's so far away and I don't fly, I'd rent a NZ housetruck and tour both islands.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Sharkey, I guess you could drive a housetruck onto a roll on roll off ship and pretend to drive all the way over, but it would be an awfully long drive I would think.
Dusty

more New Zealand pics

Post by Dusty »

OK< just learning how to do this....

Old Bedford Buses,

"You back up"
"No, you back up"
"YOU back up"
"I'm a lighthouse!"

58 Bedford House
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Try again, this is central South Island NZ Hakataramea Road, in the summer, it gets pretty bleak on the other side of the pass. Oven in summer and freezing in winter.
A basic road, interesting to travel on as very little traffic but for the local farmer (who always seems surprised to see another vehicle on the road).

58 Bedford House