Jessica Watson solo sailor

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dusty

Jessica Watson solo sailor

Post by Dusty »

Sailing around the world at 16 yrs old , unassisted , solo, what an interesting challange.

Is anyone following Jessica?

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/
58 Bedford House
dburt

Post by dburt »

She must be one brave, tough little gal!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dusty, this is the first I've heard of it. What an incredible task to undertake. I sure hope she makes it. There is a lot of danger out there. She is a lot braver than most people.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

My response to this escapade may not be in line with most. But this person should NOT be in charge of any vessel in the water!

Her sole ambition is to be the youngest solo circumnavigator, period! She has no where near enough maturity or respect for the ocean, or international maritime law. She is not prepared to wait until she has enough experience or maturity, because then she would not receive the financial rewards or notoriety that she craves.

In an interview with a celebrity manager, he stated that achieving the youngest solo circumnavigation will ensure that she will never have to worry about money for the rest of her life. This is the real reason for her adventure.

In her first outing, she was struck by a commercial vessel. Despite the fact that she was in clear breach of international maritime law and gross stupidity for her actions leading to the collision. She still refused to accept responsibility for the accident, which also required a rescue operation, which doesn't come cheap to the local tax payer. The incident would have also cost the shipping company a considerable amount of money, due to the lost time on their scheduling. While ships are the most economical way of shifting freight, they cost a huge amount per hour to run. Any costs that shipping companies incur will eventually be picked up by every one who buys just about anything, as almost everything that is moved between land masses, travels by ship.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stuart, I did not want to say what I really felt about this young girl's journey. I am glad that you said it for me. I really think that this sailing adventure of hers is foolish. As stated in my prior post, I do hope that she makes it safely. I do, however, think that it is a foolish endeavor. Thanks for bringing some reality to the situation. Rudy
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I think an update is in order , please read some of the blog notes .

I think Jesse is a courageous young person , who has shown clear thinking and should be applauded.

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/_blog/O ... g_To_Miss/
58 Bedford House
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Somewhere in the 1964-1965 National Geographic Magizines, was a story about a 16 year old boy who sailed around the world solo, later meeting a girl on the trip and getting married. Robin Lee Graham.
I am just glad these people don't try sailing the Lake solo.
DF
GoodClue

Solos ...

Post by GoodClue »

Humans do what they have to do ... right, wrong, at what ever age it strikes them. The successful ones are applauded, the unsuccessful ... maybe we never will know they even tried. Survival of the Fittest.

In the ancient days it was just done. These days it seems the rich are the only ones that try ... but that's not true. A few years back a group of New York homeless people built a boat from scrap and sailed for Europe. Their first attempt failed, and they were chastised. Their second attempt was a success and they were lauded as heroes in France and the rest of the ports they visited. Hoorah for them, hoorah for Jessica ...

I was lucky enough to cross the Atlantic twice, tho on large ships ... the first was in my mother's womb on the way to Europe where I was born. The second when we returned to the US when I was six. We sailed into New York harbor, past the Statue of Liberty, Dad read us what was written on the plaque ...

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door." by Emma Lazarus.

My next big trip, like all of ours, will be slipping the "Surly Bonds" (John Gillespie Magee, Jr) that bind us to this island earth, as beautiful as she is ... I've discovered there's a crack between heaven and hell, and space is infinite, and I, too am a traveler. I only hope to find the Lady Liberties and safe harbors that must also exist out there ... GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nothing like a kid with a spine and a girl no less 8) I rootin for her :roll:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.