Stoves

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

dadeo

Post by dadeo »

man, I don't know, I might need to have one made. This one is cracked in half. It still fits in place but would be better replaced, or maybe welded? I heard welding cast iron is tricky. Other then those few things, It's actually in pretty good shape. Maybe a little big for a bus? Just don't rage it!
GoodClue

bus stoves

Post by GoodClue »

Ace Hardware is a good place for cement, etc, sometimes local building supply stores ...
... unless it's a shaker grate, a home made steel replacement works fine ...
... Craigslist, etc locates stove parts, if you're lucky ... Thrifty Nickle in other areas ...
... and there are always ... costly ... antique stores ... use Google to locate antique stove parts ... sometimes the shipping is worth it ...
Doug
"ya gotta have art ..."
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

Cool, theres an Ace close-by, I'll check it out.
Another question: Sharkey, In the following picture, is the silver pipe behind your stove to bring in combustion air from outside??
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I remembered seeing this, but was in some kind of a hurry and forgot to reply.

The back of that stove is concave, it is dished deeply in, looking from the rear. I added a sheet of thin steel with two 3" ports to it, one near the bottom, and another near the top. The aluminum stack you see is connected to the upper port, and a section of dryer hose leading down to the floor is connected to the lower one.

When the stove is hot, the air in the chamber formed by the back of the stove and the sheet metal heats up and begins to rise in the aluminum stack. This pulls cold air from the floor up the dryer hose, which then heats and rises up the stack. In this way, a column of super-heated air that used to be the cold, drafty air on the Housetruck floor is in constant motion, helping destratify the air in the living space and keeping the temperature more even.

It worked quite well, I miss that feature on my "new" stove.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This is a stove that I saw at Costco.
It is made by Camp Chef. This stove has 2 burners and an oven. they were selling them for $149.00

They make one with a grill also, but Costco doesn't offer that one.
Camp Chef's stuff seem to be made pretty good too.
http://www.campchef.com/store/item/256/ ... stove.html

Granny

Post by Granny »

Wow, thanks for posting that stove, Chuck. Yes, that would be a great stove it looks like. I think I'll be checking into getting one.
GoodClue

camp stove ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello Chuck,
Great stove/oven ... Amazon.com has them too, for $184.97 ... free shipping ...

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping ... 136&sr=8-1

Thanks, Doug
"ya gotta have art ..."
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

I bought a camp chef two burner range with a griddle accessory it works very well. I did not get the piezo starter (bad move) cause I was being cheap. The quality on it is real nice. The griddle is very heavy and holds a lot of taters, eggs, and bacon....heats real even.

That seems like a great deal there. An oven would be nice to have for garlic bread, etc....
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I would always go with the piezo starter on a gas stove. I even have one on my portable one burner camp stove, with disposable gas canister, it is luxury.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Granny, that two burner with oven is nice. It is inexpensive enough. I would go for it.
Got love? Give love.
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

I know it's probably bigger than the old coleman camp stoves but it is definitely much smaller than my camp chef two burner with no oven...

Look at it in comparison to the propane bottle in the pic.

I can't decide if smaller is a good thing or not.... :roll:

I guess it's probably better unless your cooking for 8 or so....
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Here's a photo of Splummer's beautiful wood stove.

Got love? Give love.
graydawg

wood stoves

Post by graydawg »

I would like to find a small wood stove, that would at least take 18 to 20 inch wood, have a fresh air intake (to pull air from outside for burning) and a glass or pyrex front for viewing fire, I don't need a large one, plan on staying in the warmer regions (too much arthritis and steel implants to get where it's very cold), love the mountains and scenes of ALASKA, but if I go back there someday, it will be in the summer. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on a antique and then have to rebuild and repair it, would not mine a newer stove it it looked good, where would I likely find this type of stove at? THANKS GRAYDAWG's driver JAMES
GoodClue

Woodstoves

Post by GoodClue »

One of several custom stoves I built ... sorry, no fiinished picks ... I was lucky to find old polaroids of this stove in progress:

First pic shows fire grate ... heated and circulated room air ...

Not shown, a two damper system in the upper heat chamber, slid open direct to the stovepipe to easily start a fire, slid closed forcing air through longer path of upper chamber ...

Outside combustion air ducted into one leg feeding fire. other leg room air ... could regulate/mix room and outside air for best burn ...

Last pic shows removable tempered glass installed, main feed door and ash clean out below, no handles yet ... wish I had pics of it finished, looked like a 5 cylinder steam engine ... was a beauty when polished ... turned blue with heat.

Next to it the barrel stove heated the whole shop ... had fire clay then sand hearth, smoke diverter shelf inside, pipe damper out of picture ... I built literally dozens of these for ranches ... used them in saunas, etc ...

Trouble with custom stoves, price had to start at the cost of Fed Inspection ... $1000 plus the stove ... a killer if only one stove made ... or people would have their homeowner's insurance cancelled if an unrated stove was in the house, no matter the cause of the fire.

Looking for pics of other projects ... funny, didn't have a camera for years ... GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
GoodClue

Majestic

Post by GoodClue »

Here's another of my favorites ... been hauling and moving for years, hoping for a home soon ... heavy ...

When I dig them out I'll post pics the Warm Morning and the portable stove with oven. GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."