Stoves

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:I was really hoping to burn some pinecones.
Don't know if you're serious but they will let off a lot of light...as well as foul your chimney with pine soot...
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:
Dusty wrote:1st rule of wood stoves.

DRY untreated WOOD .

2nd rule of wood stoves ,

DRY untreated WOOD

If you can source hard wood it goes great , nice and hot with little ash. Soft woods are ok for kindling the fire , but tend to go up the chimney fairly fast.

As for a chimney cap , mine got plucked off in a storm once , so now it's just a stainless saucepan lid :D works fine.
I was really hoping to burn some pinecones.
Or a big old chunk of ACQ :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:
I was really hoping to burn some pinecones.
Actually , pinecones act like hardwood , you will notice that they can stay on the ground for years while the branches rot around them.

And , as a complete aside , I burn pinecones almost exclusively in the 'coal' range.

Once again , if they are dry , then no problems , also if you close down the air draft , the fire will smoke and cause more soot , its all a bit of compromise really , do you get over hot and chew through the wood , or have a cooler fire and a sooted chimney.

ps. there are different varities of Pine , some have awfull (fluffy) cones and some have hard (dense) cones , perfect for the fire .
I dont know what your trees are.
58 Bedford House
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Looks heavy from the pictures. I see fire brick liner on sides and bottom. Is the top open to metal, or is there brick up there, too?

That is a very clever door design. Now, all I have to do is find some 1/4" plate...
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Stealth Camper wrote:Looks heavy from the pictures. I see fire brick liner on sides and bottom. Is the top open to metal, or is there brick up there, too?

That is a very clever door design. Now, all I have to do is find some 1/4" plate...
Stealth,

The fire brick is only on the bottom, the sides and top are steel.
I was about to build my own, because I was having a hard time finding a small one. I'm glad I waited, around here the material alone would have cost more than what I paid for this stove.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Dear Chuck,
Been away playing bush. Just noticed your nice stove. Ditch the fire brick and put some sand in the bottom until you get some ashes built up. Find a cheap cast iron grate at your equivilent of Menards or Lowes.
I know its heinous to start telling you what to do with your own stove... but I do have reasons....the fire brick is taking up too much space in the bottom of the stove. Without the fire brick, and sitting on a grate, the fire or burning pine cones ETC. won't roll out the door when you open it to peek at the fire.
If you are too worried about heat radiating down before you build up an ash bed then leave the bricks in til you get an ash bed, then shovel the ashes out, take out the bricks, and put the ashes back in.

If you keep the fire low down in the box you won't warp out the upper baffle quite as soon, which for SoCal might be never, here its prolly 2 or 3 years, if it was in a bus.
I love that flat top, you can cook on that with the right kindling. It looks heavy too whisch is a plus.
DF
William Biffwinkle

Post by William Biffwinkle »

hey jones'n4cones.......

I think dualfuel makes a good point there. Maybe drop in another piece of 1/4" to protect the stove and ditch the bricks.....

maybe a thin pan under the grate to catch your ash....
You cannot make a sow's ear out of a silk purse either.....but has anyone really tried to do both?

now heer in biffwinkleville we make deep fried DEEserts outa sows ears......an thayr ain't nuthin' stoopider lookin' than'n earless pig....