Stoves

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Granny

Post by Granny »

Doug, now this last one is the one I really like. I do know where one is sitting not far from me, but it's not for sale. I have also cooked on one like that a couple of times. Yes, those were good stoves, and nice looking, also.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Ohhhh, I like this thread!
I collect stoves. I have two of those monarchs, one is all wood fired (or coal) and a combo town gas/coal stove. And of course, I posted the picture of the electric/coal/wood monarch we use daily.
Stoves come easily here as all these old houses have them still installed. The fun part is when a neophyte moves in and decides "That has to go!"
Then we wait with the lowboy, plankage, and dollies. Usually the same people who thoughtlessly discard a monarch or a Volcano are the same ones renting the U-haul the next spring.
When I look at the way these old mining houses were built around the stoves, I realized you do yourself a disservice by removing them BEFORE living through a winter here. Ours was shiny nickle and chrome when we started 10 years ago.
My idea is that if you have a good Monarch, Volcano, or Warm Morning, you can survive anything the weather throws at you. Just keep the kindling dry and the radiant heat will restore your confidence during the long months when the sky is black and the ground is white....

DF
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

The nickel is brown, the chrome is tarnished with carbonized oil. The baffles are warped, and I bet the ash bin needs emptying (it always does). Yet after over 3600 firings, the Monarch is still heating water every morning, baking pizza (@700F for 4 minutes), and canning.
I never really learned to cook on any other stove. I burn every thing with the electric. I cook with wood, specific pieces for specific heats and times. I can't imagine any other way.
DF
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

http://up.craigslist.org/app/1731384630.html
This is newer then ours...looks more modern.
GoodClue

Stoves

Post by GoodClue »

I should have posted a close up of the cookstove. I'ts a Majestic, but many brands came from common foundries.
I hope to post pics of my Warm Morning and the antique portable cookstove soon. The Warm Morning has been wrapped and stored outside one of my portable garages and needs to be brought inside and examined, stored properly. The portable is inside, just underneath a lot of other things ...
I agree with DualFuel ... there is nothing like wood heat for cooking, warming ones spirit and body ... our most primal friend. The only other thing that feeds my soul so direclty is floating on my back watching the stars in a natural hotspring. 8) GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I always try to buy things I need when it's in season....buying season that is.
Years ago I decided to buy a used Jet Ski, so I waited until mid winter and saved about $800.00 Nobody wants to ride one when it's cold out. :D Then when I decided to get a dirt bike again, I waited until it started getting hot again, I saved some more money.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I had to go to Sacramento and I figured it should be getting hot enough to get a wood stove for a good price.
I'm not sure but I think it's harder to find a good small stove for a bus, then a bigger one suitable for a house.
Well I lucked out, I found this one on Craigslist the morning I was returning home. the guy was asking $175.00 so I went to look at it. It came with about 4' of stovepipe, some 45's and a screen for the door.
After looking it over, I offered him $100.00 and he accepted.

The company that made this stove is no longer in business, but this stove is very well made. It is all constructed of plate steel, not a casting. Also it has a fresh air intake inside the leg. I think it weighs about 150-180 pounds, it rode around in the back of my truck for a week, until I could get a hand unloading it.

The handle on the left opens the door, the other one controls the temperature.

The fresh air comes up thru the leg, then out this port (top right corner of opening) and into the door temp control.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice one. How big is it? It look about 18 or 20 by 18 or 20
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

That's one seriously nice looking stove!
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Great score, that is one sleek, clean looking unit! Pretty cool how they integrated the intake into the leg, too. It's a shame why they went out of business...seems like a great, simplistic design that would be very popular in "our" types of environments.
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Cool stove! That is, of course, unless you have a fire going inside of it. Then it is a Hot stove.
Got love? Give love.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Griff wrote:Great score, that is one sleek, clean looking unit! Pretty cool how they integrated the intake into the leg, too. It's a shame why they went out of business...seems like a great, simplistic design that would be very popular in "our" types of environments.
When product is hand built, it is very hard to compete with a mass manufacturing process. In this case, you might be able to cast hundreds of stoves faster then cutting plate steel, then jigging and welding one of these.
Also it is much easier to make a cast stove ornate and many people would consider this one primitive by comparison.
I'm not sure but that might be why they went out of business.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Nice one. How big is it? It look about 18 or 20 by 18 or 20
Sorry Dennis,
It took me awhile to reply, then I accidently skipped over your question.

The outside of the box is 14" wide, 17" deep and 17 5/8" at the upper level, 14 5/8 at the lower level.
The inside of the box is 1 1/2" smaller on the bottom, the back and both sides, due to the fresh air intake chamber, which draws air thru the leg.

From the ground up to the lower level, it is 22 5/8" high. All the metal thickness that I could measure is 1/4" thick, but the lower level, where you could cook from, is 3/8" thick. I might put it on a scale, just to see what it weighs.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I want to try out this stove for a while on the patio, before I cut a hole in my bus. I will need to buy a chimney cap before I can try it. Does anyone have any advice on what type and what brand would be good to use in a bus?

This is the first wood stove I have owned, so I have no experience with them at all.
I know, I know...it's a So Cal thing. :lol:

Chuck
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

1st rule of wood stoves.

DRY untreated WOOD .

2nd rule of wood stoves ,

DRY untreated WOOD

If you can source hard wood it goes great , nice and hot with little ash. Soft woods are ok for kindling the fire , but tend to go up the chimney fairly fast.

As for a chimney cap , mine got plucked off in a storm once , so now it's just a stainless saucepan lid :D works fine.
58 Bedford House
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dusty wrote:1st rule of wood stoves.

DRY untreated WOOD .

2nd rule of wood stoves ,

DRY untreated WOOD

If you can source hard wood it goes great , nice and hot with little ash. Soft woods are ok for kindling the fire , but tend to go up the chimney fairly fast.

As for a chimney cap , mine got plucked off in a storm once , so now it's just a stainless saucepan lid :D works fine.
I was really hoping to burn some pinecones.