Need help with U-joints!

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Granny

Need help with U-joints!

Post by Granny »

Ok guys, I got a '91 Ford Ranger 4x4, with the 4.0L (just in case you ask). I need to change the u-joints in this thing, and the carrier bearing. I have three u-joints and the carrier bearing sitting on my kitchen table, nobody to help with this, and I need it done. Diagram this repair for me and talk me through it, please. I am headed out to put the back end up on my ramps so I have more room under there, figure out what size wrenches I may need, and have this chore on the agenda for tomorrow. My "baby" has been parked for a year waiting for friends to help with this like they keep promising. I need this thing fixed before Sunday, so I can take it to Boise and leave it there when I drive my bus home (if I get the bus). I am begging now, for help. I keep telling people I am not a mechanic. If I were allowed to "weld" a new one in, I would be fine. Please, and thank you, for any and all help I can get with this project.
GoodClue

U-joints ...

Post by GoodClue »

Ginger,
It's easier done than explained. I'm sure someone will volunteer to talk you through it, but thought these links would help ... most offer pics or videos ...

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHM ... g+u-joints

from Google ... replacing u-joints ...

Doug
"ya gotta have art ..."
Granny

Post by Granny »

Thanks guys, you have been most helpful. I went and looked at what they were saying. When I start this project tomorrow, if I have any more questions, I'll be back asking for more input. I appreciate this very much. :)
Wayne Bus

Post by Wayne Bus »

We'll keep a light on for ya... :wink:
Wayne Bus

This one is , all about Ford Rangers and what ills them...

Post by Wayne Bus »

Granny

Post by Granny »

Right now, I am dripping blood on my key board. I got the rear bolts out. I bloodied three knuckles on the front bolts, and they are still securely fastened in. I can't get the thing apart yet, to change anything. I just sprayed the front bolts with wd40, to try and get them freed up. I guess we'll wait and see if that loosens them. I also sprayed the bolts holding the carrier bearing, at the same time.
Wayne Bus

manic...mechanics

Post by Wayne Bus »

Afte they sit and soak up the wd 40...place your hands in socks to absorb " wrench-slip offs and their damage to the skin....when the wench is applied to the nut or bolt head, gently rock the head, back some pressure...fowards, some pressure...do the several-several times...as an ATTEMPT....AN ATTEMPT...to loosen up the fastened head.....socks also make perfect hand cleaning rags as well as protectors...
Wayne Bus

Post by Wayne Bus »

All cotton socks...not poly anythings (they become too slick of material to control when greasey, unlike cotton...
Granny

Post by Granny »

Thank you for all the great advice. I am taking a little break. I got two of the four front bolts loosened, had to use a cheater wrench on the wrench. And, I think I've got help on the way. My Uncle is coming to give a hand. He is feeling sorry for me. I had to call him to borrow a socket, I stripped out my socket (darn them cheap sockets). It takes a 12mm 12pt socket. It wasn't really a cheap one, it was a craftsman. And Wayne Bus, after bloodying my knuckles, I put on my cotton gloves. That was good advice, thank you.
Wayne Bus

Post by Wayne Bus »

Good to hear it...good luck, youall.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

HMMMM! I don't understand why this thread page is so wide when there are no pictures on it.
Got love? Give love.
Wayne Bus

Post by Wayne Bus »

Could be because I was in the midst of editeding it ...I had it stripped off completly of dialog and had it on my notepad re-wording it...constant process to make it sound more sane..try it again and let me know...opps...wrong post ? ?...I think...?anyway...
Granny

Post by Granny »

Alright you guys, this job is way harder than the internet showed, harder than you guys said, and still isn't finished. We got the "whole" drive line out, two u-joints replaced, and are starting on the carrier bearing. We called it quits for today, will finish up tomorrow. I have paid mechanics in the past, to change a u-joint, twice. Twice, they changed the same one - the rear one. That one came out the "easiest" of the two, but still was a nightmare. Did I mention that this little pickup has 212,000+ miles on it. Did I also mention that the other two u-joints are original? So anyway...... maybe by tomorrow night this project might be done. Yes, we have marked everything before taking it apart to assure lining it all back up correctly.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Ginger Granny- did you get the Homedale bus?? I have been waiting to hear what happened when they opened the bids. I hope you got yours!