DualFuel

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

During WWII, the Germans tried knocking down concrete walls with a device that used a high wattage amplifier and a large speaker cone. They were pumping 7 cycles per second at high volume. the whole thing was mounted on a large truck. The experiment failed. They weren't aware of resonant frequencies of a wall or certain parts of the wall. Had they had a musician's ear, they would have discovered that they would have needed many devices, and far less power to accomplish the task.
According to the biblical story, Joshua amassed many people to blow trumpets, hum, and stamp their feet. He had found the frequencies that would work on various areas of the walls of Jericho. When all the sounds were applied at once while positioned accordingly, the walls crumbled.
Got love? Give love.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Hi Rudy!
Hey don't forget Tesla's air powered mechanical resonator. He caused some unease with that little drama he played out in Philidelphia.

I bought half a duplex and there used to be this obnoxious drunk guy living in the other half. He'd keep his stereo up and shout at his drinking buddies til they all passed out. Cops, threats, and yelling back never worked on this dude, so what I did was screw the big centerfuge to the floor of my house and put one big test tube full of water in it. The centerfuge has a variable speed switch. I'd slowly let the unbalanced centerfuge rise through the different harmonic vibrations until I hit the sympathetic harmonic that would shake all Drunk Guy's vodka bottles off his coffee table. Oh crap! Did the fun start after the glass started smashing!
Once he started losing his alcohol, I had his riveted attention.
His liver exploded and he bled out all alone.
DF
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

The Heather

The proud captain, with a view, looking east from the bow. The next shot is the view to the west as seen from the wheel house roof.
I know its not a truck or bus, but it is all steel and its pulled by a truck. I plan on turning it into a floating shop. Plus living in it.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

It is even better than a bus or a truck. It is living accommodation that travels down the or across the water!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Does it have two engines? What kind? You sure could live in that. Describe, or better yet, take pictures of the inside. Thanks, Rudy
Got love? Give love.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Looks like two shafts, so two engines.

You got water front access? Or is this the little vacation cottage?

Rufus
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Hey!
Well the Heather is rough inside. I'm not afraid though. I enjoy it in the sense that I am not limited by some other designer's

problems. An example is every bus I ever slept in, the owner's bed was a REAL mattress (I got the couch), while no matter where

you bunk in the Winnie, its cushions, that aren't wide enough or have an edge protruding in my back. I can put my extra long

single mattress and metal bunk in the Heather and weld it right to the floor if I like.
Another thing that appeals to me is the 360 degree windows in the wheel house. During the coming dark months, having that much

window area will help cheer me up, taking away the "cave" effect. We are going to have an excavator clear an area on top of the

ridge at the new bush so we can park the Heather's trailer "Martin" up high for an even better view.
The Heather has twin Ford engines. I am not sure if they are FEs or the 385 series. They were marinized by Eaton and called

"Interceptors", 250hp, with huge, huge gas tanks. They are for sale.
I found a third Cutlass Bearing. In theory the Heather could have three engines. I am now scouting the beaches for 671

Detroits. I'd prefer to fuel the Heather with homemade fuel. I am not towing a barge full of wood blocks to stoke a producer

and make gas for those Fords.
We live on an Island so I suppose I do have Lake acesess. I don't think there are very many boat hoists around here though. I

would be willing to launch the Heather with the tractor if I had a loader on stanby to pull me up the ramp if my tires got too

wet. Thats crazy, but par for me.
I would seriously consider getting a tractor with a sleeper, and pulling Martin and Heather as part of a Truck House Boat combo.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sweet 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dualfuel wrote:[img]
I would seriously consider getting a tractor with a sleeper, and pulling Martin and Heather as part of a Truck House Boat combo.
A house truck pulling a suitable boat on a trailer would be my ideal combination.
dburt

Post by dburt »

DF, I like your boat! How did you score such a neat machine?
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

dBurt! We have been watching the Heather (and Martin) sit on the beach in Copper Harbor for years. After our second child was born, the sailboat was too small. Lake Superior is all rocks and I have a fetish for steel boats that I can careen and weld. All these things added up to a real desire for a boat like Heather.
So I was at the junkyard and I saw a photograph of the Heather on the office desk. She was to be scrapped. I took down the owner's number and began relentlessly calling. I told the owner over and over that I wanted the boat, all he had to do was give me his price. I'd take care of the rest.
He called back with his price, and I ran up there that Sat. morning with the Jimmy. The owner and his family were shocked, when I handed him the check. He was even more surprised to see the Jimmy hitched up to Martin with my wife airing up the tires. We pulled Heather and Martin home at about 35knts. in a beating rain. Jimmy's driver prayed to stay in the 671's powerband all the way up and over the ridge past the Keweenaw Mtn. Lodge! Made to the New Bush with no mishaps for all my worrying.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DF, What is that thing to the right of the cooking pot on the galley countertop?
Are there bunks down below? Would you take some photos of that area? I am excited to see that part of the boat. Thanks, Rudy
Got love? Give love.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Dear Rudy,
This is all I have today. I will take more in the next few days. The blue cushions are for the bunks. The top photo shows the view towards the bow from the stern of the wheel house. I realize it looks rough, but, its been completely gutted and never put back together. Basically perfect for me.
DF
Tim Clevenger

Post by Tim Clevenger »

Fascinating. Please take lots of pictures as you work on her and post here. I love a good build log.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dear Dualfual,

....Try saying that three times fast. :lol:

I really like that boat, it's cool. Is it the same one you posted a photo of a long time ago? I think it was dry docked at the time?
Will you be able to launch it soon with the existing engines, or are you going to restore and repower it first?

Also, what is that thing Rudy was asking about? it's on the counter just above the sink in this photo?