DualFuel

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

So now the man comes on thursday to fill my hand with Benjamins and we will move the old army trucks to his place in Amasa. I am glad I saved the trucks this long and also that they are going to an interested party. This has served me a lesson. Sh$t or get off the pot! I am not haning on to any more projects after they have been here a year. If they aren't done then it means I am not going to be doing anything with them and they should move on to the next guy.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Dualfuel, I like heating with wood, even like to cook on the wood stove on occassion. However, I must admit, I like my electric stove for canning on. Even at that, in July and August, even into September, it gets too hot in the kitchen when I start up the electric stove to do the canning.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Dear Granny,
You bet! With the preheater tub boiling away AND the 7 quart canner boiling, not only is it warm but its steamy too. Its like sauna.
The good news is that here where I live, it usually very cool by the end of august and can snow in september. So some years we luck out and its cold when we are putting up the cans.
I suppose decandence will be a screened canning shed. Then the fruit flies will be kept out of the house as well. I really like that idea for the bush. When I was little we had a screened kitchen on the beach down by Naokaming Point. Breakfast while the breakers crashed in and no black flies! It really made you EAT!
DF
GoodClue

carb ...

Post by GoodClue »

DualFuel ... posted reply about carb on Parts bus for Doug thread ...
GoodClue ...
"ya gotta have art ..."
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Dualfuel , i wll say this your a busy fellow, i know all about saw mill slats for the cook stove , tho i have been around and seen portable saw carrage i have never done it my self. keep up the good work DAD nice looking boys (mine are grown, but a little secret for you , they can be thirty and you will look at them and see them as in the picture) so i spoil my grand kids as much as i can get away with.thats why I am.......... POPI :D
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Great place, DualFuel. Really impressive, plenty of room to work. Fine looking little devils you got. <G>

You're right about the projects though - when they get like that wood pile they kinda all stall out. But Man you one brave mutha w/those flies... I got a taste in New England and that's done me for a long time.

Best luck. Rufus
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Thanks Thanks, I do love the comments.
From May to the end of June the black flies can be fierce if its warm but as today proves, sometimes you just get lucky.

We took this Army truck to the man in Amasa, via the Baraga Plains, in a blizzard. Forty miles of bush roads. No cops. Life is good, we only needed low range once. On this hill....
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

So if you get weather like this into mid-june, you sometimes just skip the bugs. Those years the fires never seem to go out.
The boat never gets launched. If its hot the bugs drive you into town for a few weeks. Too hot, then we go stay on the boat. The Lake is never warmer then 50F so its a great place to hang out if its 100F
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

so today I scanned in a picture from years ago when I had my Chevy school bus. The guy drinking the tea is Vince.
The blue Buick is the first "CAR" I ever owned. It towed the first trailer I lived in here when I was 18. It was a '65 Wildcat with the 425 "nail head" engine. That car liked 90mph and got good mileage at that speed. Slower and you paid for it in gas mileage.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Did you ever have a car you really liked? Here is a picture of the dear old Galaxy. It had a 390 FE block with a two barrel carb. There was nothing wrong with this car. Nothing! Although the cruise was rather exciting...I laugh at some guy trapped in a speeding Prius, after having the Galaxy decide that 70mph just wasn't fast enough, and tip in to WOT! That happened on the Seney Stretch once and I had 20 miles of straight road to figure out what to do.
The Galaxy slept two, carried all your crap, weighed 5000lbs and rode like a feather bed. The doors had that solid "clunk" when you closed them, not that hollow tin drum sound they do now.
I let the Galaxy slip away when gas went up to $2.00 a gallon in '99. I traded it for a Dodge one ton dump truck that actually got better mileage then the 10mpg the Galaxy got. Bobby Swain ended up with it along with the bus, and the Buick.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

So I was in my campus apartment and this little number walked in and said she was here to study "physics"....
she never left... and eventually...
The only thing that has ever seperated us was that damn war...next time we are piling onto the sailboat and singing "Oh Canada!" Lesson learned...Never Leave Your Family! Its just not worth it.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Learning lessons is a Good Thing. 'Specially that kind when you all still got time. Play it quiet and smart though.

I "started life" in '69 with a '64 Olds Dyanmic 88 wagon. Sounds a bit like the Galaxy. 11/1 compression, 2-barrel carb, might get 12mpg; it liked 85 and I kinda liked the intake sound when I floored it. Always started, go through anything I found around Milwaukee, Chicago or New England, rode nice; went all over the country back and forth a couple times. My sister got it about 1978 and sometime thereafter she rolled THROUGH a service bay, took out the back wall... <sigh> I wasn't around so the insurance company took it. If I found one like that around today I might try putting a diesel into it.

Rufus
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

I read something about the forum failing...figured I post a note so as youse don't think I was quiting. Its just that we finally bought another 40 closer to town and I have been tied up with the closing.
I am stressing a little about security. I am used to being 6 miles from anyone and no one knowing what I have. The new place is a mile and a half from town but you have to have a quad or truck to get there. I think this disturbance of my status quo is good for me. I've hauled 20 tons of scrap in from the old place, with several months worth of hauling to go. I conclude that living in a bus would be good for me, as I wouldn't have literally tons of crap stored up over each decade.

Theres a nice 1947 Chevy tanker fire truck in Copper Harbor for sale. No price. Who is the genius who thought up the scam of not putting a price on a forsale sign? All that says is that you are ashamed of your asking price. Duh.

So now I am actively seeking a jaw crusher or roll crusher. I want to take thesecairns I bought and mak gravel.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

DF, It seems that you ARE Mr. Machine. Rock crushers are great. They make their own music, and if you are clever enough with what you feed it, you can actually play the machine. Way fun. There have been some old houses that I have worked on, where I could manipulate the hot water spigot in the tub and get all the pipes in the house to sing together. I have also gone into water drain tunnels made of concrete, and by manipulating my voice, find the resonant frequency of the tube. At that point the whole tube resonates LOUDLY. (The walls of Jericho). Ask me to tell you about an experiment that some people did with a low frequency generator with a ten foot cone mounted on a military truck.
Got love? Give love.
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

I'm loaded Rudy, what is it?