Heat wave

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Heat wave

Post by Stealth Camper »

The northeast has been getting a dose of our kind of weather. Saw a news report that said Newark, NJ had suffered through 4 consecutive days of 100 degree temperatures. Just about laughed my ass off.

We have been having NJ weather for a few weeks. Very nice.

Looks like it ends today. 93 to 96 for next few days with lots of humidity. Still not all that hot. Wondering when we will get back to normal?

Daughter moved to Corvallis last summer and said there are few air conditioners in houses up there. How do people get big electric bills when there are no air conditioners?? I guess the kwh rate must be huge??
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Last week, the Willamette Valley (where Corvallis is located) got their first heat of the year, 95 - 99°, and will get more and beyond before summer is over.

Forget that crap! That's the reason I moved to the coast range. While those unlucky saps were sweltering in the heat and humidity, I was enjoying perfect 70° weather. Oh, I think one day it might have gotten up to 80°, but not for more than an hour.

It's true that few older homes and businesses here have A/C, it's just not needed much. New construction usually has heat pumps which comes with built-in A/C. Electric rates are about the lowest in the nation due to the mighty Columbia River and loads of cheap and (mostly) clean hydro power. To get a big utility bill, installing grow lights is a popular choice for gobbling lots of power.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

All the more reason to go solar - keep the gendarmes from being able to track one's activities by power useage.

Got up this morning and at 7:25 before leaving the house to go to work, the weather man said it was 78 with 100% humidity. Now it is 90 with 80%. Heat index of 104 (contrived deal). Supposed to be 95 by 5:00 pm.

Maybe some sun will help my attitude - have been feeling out of sorts all day, so may be suffering from vitamin D deficiency. Has been rainy and cloudy for last couple weeks. Very strange.

Do they put ground coils on the heat pumps much? We could certainly benefit from more of that here, but electric is only about 8 cents per kwh, so mostly just not worth the expense.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I got 1 day of 104 and the next couple were high 90's but now it's alot better
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

We were getting 98's for about two weeks, then cooled off for last couple of weeks. Looks like we are getting ready to go back to summer. Today was 97 and 70%. Not great, but not too bad.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Yeah, no what you mean about a heat wave. We had 16C here yesterday. :D
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

We here (on the Keweenaw) have had thunderstorms! I don't ever remember them during the summer before. It'd get hot (90s) then BOOM! Thunderstorms would hit then back to the 70s. Lots of rain this year with no bugs! Its a trash burning year!
With this place surrounded by the Lake, which never gets over 50F, we seldom ever stop burning the stoves in the summer. Night before last it was down in the low 50s. Made biscuits in the oven yesterday morning, which called for a big burn and lots of Maple.
Apparently, the new sunspot cycle is kicking in with a vengence. If thats the case, I am sure things will get a lot warmer in the next few years.
Just for kicks, I installed an airconditioner to see if I could get the humidity down, and so far have used about $5 worth of electricity to operate it. Its on its own meter, and costs about $1.14 per day. Our rate is $.12/KWH
Hell yes, I am buying more solar! Don't need to grow dope to want cheap power! DF
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

A few days ago, my outside temp reading was 107.5. Of course the temp bulb was exposed to the sun. It was actually only 99 degrees. It's been a few weeks of hot temps. I always said that I like the winters here better, but it was the coldest winter in decades last winter.
Got love? Give love.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Winter was a mess here. We had very cold - worst in a long time - decades.

We got about 36" - maybe a little more - cumulative total. Christmas eve was 16" in OKC and about 14 in Tulsa. That is usually reserved for our March snowstorm. Weird weather.

Today was only about 96, but the dew point has been running in the low 80's for days, so it is steamy.

I have a little thermometer in the truck and when I use the window shield thing, it only gets to about 125 inside - if I leave the windows down a couple of inches. Today, I forgot to lower them and it was about 130. When I don't use the screen thing, it gets to 140. Ugh! Luckily the Dodge has a pretty good air conditioner, so 10 minutes later, it is cooling down.
splummer

Post by splummer »

yep been warm up here also, been in the hi 90 s . lots of thunder storms, the other nite the state had recorded over 11000 hits by lighting ans we had lots of damage by tornadoes, we were in the path of one but it must of fizzeled out, there were 4 of them thatt night ,nice out today , feels like early fall
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began