Fun in the Sand

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Fun in the Sand

Post by Sharkey »

For the last month or two, most all my spare time has been consumed by trying to put the house here into habitable condition. I've been doing plumbing under the house, and working on the foundation, sealing up yet more mouse entrances, etc. Along with all this is the task of hanging sheetrock in the living room. Before I put up the gypsum board around the fireplace, I decided to do something about the disgusting condition of the slate that the fireplace is faced with. 40 years of cigarette smoke, fumes and smoke from the hearth, and general grime and dirt made the entire thing a nice shade of black.

Last month while I was in the city, I purchased a cheap sand blasting gun with the intention of cleaning up the rock face. While I was buying the gun, I asked about blasting media. I was told that they had glass beads, plastic beads, walnut shells, and sand, all of which were priced about $1 or more per pound. Why in the world I would buy sand when I live at the coast is a big mystery, so I bailed out on the media and picked up a couple of buckets of beach sand from the dune behind the grocery store.

Personal protection for this project is a load of gear. I wear a partial face respirator with dual HEPA filters to block out the silica dust from the sand, the house dust released from the cleaning, and the cement dust from the grout that is eroded during the process.

Over the respirator, I wear a painter's hood to keep stray sand out of my hair. Over the top of this, I wear a plastic face shield. Of course, tight-fitting clothes, and gloves are required. Even with all of this, I have to stop every 15 - 20 minutes to wash the face shield and my glasses, as everything fogs up with very fine dust.

Anyhow, a few hours of work later, I had half the fireplace face cleaned up nicely. The sand blaster did a terrific job quickly scouring off the encrusted dirt and black tinge that the slate had taken on. Once the filth was removed, the veins and grain of the rock was visible, and each piece of slate took on a character of it's own.

Here's a photo of things taken this morning when I had half the job done:

This afternoon I completed the rest of the face down to the hearth level. A couple of days more part-time work and I should have the whole mess cleaned up and ready to spray with some masonry sealer.

In order to keep the flying sand out of everything else in the house, I had to build a 2x4 and plastic tent to contain the grains:

By this winter, I hope to have the living room ready to use, with my Vermont Castings Intrepid wood stove installed to heat the room. The previous owners had destroyed the smoke shelf in the chimney in order to put in the chimney liner, so this fireplace will never be useful for an open fire again. As such, I'll likely use some of the excess slate that is out in the yard to "brick up" the hearth opening to keep drafts out and seal up the yawning opening to a more pleasant rock backing for the stove.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Wow!
There really is an amazing contrast between the two sides of that hearth! Imagine the part you didn't mention is how uncomfortable all that gear is to wear. Looks like the results are worth the effort though. Its motivating!
DF
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

USE THE FORCE SHARK!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Great effort. Looks good too. <g>

Think you're going get all the mouse entries? Just wondering cuz I'm going try to seal out the little sons-a-guns from a 100 year old house real soon now.

Rufus
dburt

Post by dburt »

That really made a big difference in the appearance of that fireplace! I would never have thought to sand blast the rock, that was a great idea!
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Ditto on the 'kudos', Sharkey - that's a remarkably beautiful difference, well worth the effort! 8)
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Now the entire top 3/4 of the fireplace is done. I found a use for the spent sand. I've been using it to level up some of the stepping stones out in the yard around the Housetruck -and- have sent about five gallons of it down some burrow holes that are turning the ground around the deck outside the Housetruck into Swiss cheese. Every night, I hear a gnawing, grinding noise coming out of the ground and in the morning, there's a new, perfectly round hole in the ground about 2" in diameter. What I don't understand is that there is never any burden soil around the holes. The moles out in the yard leave mounds of the stuff, but these are perfectly clean holes. At any rate, I wish the rodents good luck. Ever tried to make a tunnel in sand? :evil:

Also used the sand blaster to scour my Grizwald 8" griddle down to bare cast iron. It had been getting pretty crusty, and was sloughing off hunks of carbon into my pancakes. The griddle is in the toaster oven right now, coated with a new layer of oil and baking at 400° to reseason the surface. Mmmm, pancakes in the morning...
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

the fireplace looks great.
cool idea with the griddle, chunky pancakes are never good, unless they are chocolate chip :)
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin