Gettin to the tuff stuff

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Gettin to the tuff stuff

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I mentioned a few months back that I was going to help build another house for my buddy Rob who has a nasty case of cancer. Well, the house is about ½ done and Rob is about 7/8 done so I’m going up to the hospital to have a talk with him. And if he can talk. And if not I’m going to leave this letter with his sister so she can read it to some time soon. He’s a real control freak and that control has made him a pretty wealthy guy but all those bucks and all those homes can’t help him now so I hope my letter will give the kid some comfort.

Hi Rob

If you or one of your family is reading this letter to you, you must be nearing the end of the big project. You got to admit, I went pretty well 8) I want you to know that you’re up on my mental shelf along side a half a dozen other people that have impacted my life. When I think of focus and drive I think of you. Never have I known anyone with the level of drive that you’ve possessed ( you make me tired just thinking about it :wink: That drive is what I want to bring to the forefront here. That drive is at this point causing you great pain and suffering. Believe me when I say, I still hope you can come out of this “butâ€
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Dennis,

That letter looks like what a lot of us better hope somebody sends us come a time. Hope Rob takes it the best way.

Rufus
dburt

Post by dburt »

It's hard for type A persons to ever let go of the control, but hopefully he will listen to this letter!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

My condolences to you and your friend's family!

My consolation with times like that is that it is only a temporary separation - even if I live to be 120, it will still be a very short time until meet again.

I went through a time a couple years ago where I lost 12 very close friends and family members in a 14 month period of time. It sucks.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Dennis! Nuff said :) Lots of us wish we had friends like you..............
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I haven't been here long to know much about any of you, but I have lost a several family members and friends to cancer. And from my experience, you are doing the right thing to speak bluntly to your friend...even if he can't respond, he'll be listening.

When most people run into someone they know who has cancer or go visits them in the hospital...they try to hard to keep conversation casual and very surface. But what they don't realize is that person knows darn well how close to death they are or how sick they are and the last thing they need are people pretending "it'll be ok and let's get together when you get out".

It's fake and insincere. These people are taking the biggest and last step of their lives. They want to hear honesty. They want to hear real feelings and thoughts. Maybe you telling him it's ok to die is what he needs to hear so he can be at peace with it instead of everybody telling him "you'll get through this cuz you're stubborn".

You're a good and wise friend, Dennis.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

As it turned out Robs younger brother read him the letter "he had a little trouble getting through it" but his wife said that Rob was smiling and wont let anyone take the letter from his nightstand. So, will he let got? Probably not but he loved the idea of letting go :wink: Soon, he'll have no choice and he'll be at peace. Lifes a trip, ain't it 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

As it turns out, My buddy Rob moved on just after midnight. Peace along the way Rob :roll:
Peace along the way
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Sorry for the loss of a buddy. That was a kind thing you did for him.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.
~Dale Evans
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Ya know, “Ifâ€
Peace along the way
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Darned if getting back to work isn't the best thing to do sometimes...
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

You were a true friend to Rob, may he rest in peace, I'm sure he treasured your friendship.

May your heart be at peace also, Dennis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkKnTl7oVUQ
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Dennis, Tho I dont know you that well, What i do know about you is that your buddy Rob's condition has been a condition for you also because or your friendship. Griff wrote"You were a true friend to Rob, may he rest in peace, I'm sure he treasured your friendship.

May your heart be at peace also, Dennis.

As i said before WE should all be so lucky as to have friend like you!
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Perhaps Rob can look across from the other plane of existence and see the craftsman you continue to be. That should make him happy.
Got love? Give love.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and his family!