Amish Heaters?

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Amish Heaters?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Im soon going to bring the bus over to the job site and will be able to plug in to power and I was thinking about buying 1 or 2 of the so called Amish Heaters. If anybody has used these or just has 2 cents about them I'd like to hear about 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Hey Dennis: Here's my $.02: SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Check out this link

...then check this link.

I had one of these, and it worked very well for me.
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Hi Dennis, I've seen these things (Amish heaters) on infomercials. That in itself tells me that they are nowhere near as good of a product as claimed. As well they never mention the high quality Chinese Amish innards. As of late, I've seen them for sale in our regional outlet store (Big Lots!). That tells me that regular department and hardware stores have had a bad experience with these items.

If you are just in need of a small portable heater that is going to be knocked around anyway, you are more than likely best off with the metal box type fan forced unit. They are inexpensive ($20-$50) and they get the job done. Most have 2 heat (wattage) settings of 1300 and 1500 watts and include a simple on / off volume control like thermostat. The next step up would be the oil filled radiator type. On the plus side they have 3 heat range combos (600, 900, and 1500 watts) and a thermostat. They roll around on wheels. When up to temperature, they make the room very comfortable. On the minus side they are big and bulky, hot to the touch (ouch!), somewhat expensive ($80-$130), and take forever to warm up.

Stay warm and hope this helps. / Tom
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I have a nice oil filled radiator and a 1500 watt pretty good little heater with a fan and they work fine. I was just thinking as long as I'll have power I was just thinking if they gave off more heat and used less power Id get one but if there the same or less then I'll stick with what I got. I may get another smaller oil filled radiater to put on it's lowest setting down in my baggage bay that has the water and waste tanks in. For when the really cold weather rolls in.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I had one of those small but high output ceramic heaters that are marketed mostly to the RV crowd. They seem to put out pretty good heat, but when living in a 30ft RV trailer for a couple of years while working out of town, I found it hard to beat one of those oil filled heaters. They are quite, and they did not circulate dust around inside the living space like the fans do in the other style of heaters. The radiant style heaters that have a heating coil and a cone shaped reflector dish that can be aimed at your need for heat work well, but you have to be careful nothing flammable comes into contact with them, like towels, newspapers, etc. :roll:
graydawg

amish heaters

Post by graydawg »

I seen the infomercials for those heaters and thought when did the amish start using electricity and power tools to build them with, I just laughed and said oh well, I missed the announcement and went to sleep, thats not the first one I missed. It's about like the geico, progressive, and all the other insurance commercials they all claim they are cheaper, I found they were higher. I have got to the point of I believe it when I see it, but I'm not going to buy it.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Sorry I didn't notice this post until now, Dennis. But, I went to Menards and bought one of those 1500 watt electric fireplaces (looks like a little woodstove). I've been using it all winter....works great! I only paid $69 on clearance but they have them for $99 to $150. I'm very happy with it and it keeps our place warmer than our gas heat. It seems to cost about $100 a month running 24/7....we've had it running round the clock for 3 months now :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed