Remember when...

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Stay light? I only weigh 145lbs. Any lighter and I would be a featherweight, or is it bantamweight? Being a welterweight is OK by me. With a pair of sneakers on, I can still run a zippy dee zip. But now, all I wear is boots. It IS winter, afterall.

I kinda gave up on wearing sneakers many years back. Did you ever notice that they make your feet stink? (Oh what? I'm supposed to change my socks?) Well, no wonder!

Still, I like to wear them until they can stand up by themselves. Then I can fill them up with pebbles and use them as tools.
Got love? Give love.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Rudy, does this mean you can't even cast a decent shadow? Or if you turn sideways and stick out your tongue you look like a big zipper? :lol:
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

dburt wrote:Rudy, does this mean you can't even cast a decent shadow? Or if you turn sideways and stick out your tongue you look like a big zipper? :lol:
That was cold :roll: Funny, but cold :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

One of our newest members, Ezrablu, is kind hearted enough to have sent me links about ridding one's self of addictions.

Having spent the last hour purveying said links, I come out with a concept that will prove itself to be fruitful. Here it is:

Do not focus on what it is you are trying NOT to do.(example, quit drinking and smoking). Focus on what you are trying to accomplish.

FOCUS is the operative word here.

So I bare my soul to you all. My "bus family" means a lot to me.

Last time I did this quitting stuff, I thought of it as an experiment. I like science.

Orbit came to see me last night. Boy, was he pissed! He said that if I do not stop this foolishness of self destruction, he would not be able to go visit Chuckles and Martha anymore. That made me sad.

Orbit, I hear you.

Special thanks to Stuart and Ezrablu.

I also want to thank all of you who write to me and call me on the telephone.

Besides, I'd really like to learn some polkas on the accordion.
Got love? Give love.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Mark Twain said quitting smoking was easy- he had done it hundreds of times! :wink:

And I think WC Fields said something along the same lines about quitting drinking!

My father-in-law for many years was a successful business man, made lots of money but used alot of it up drinking and using that white powder up his nose. :shock:

About 9 years ago he took a good look at himself, his life, etc and decided he no longer liked what he saw. A good friend of his belonged to AA and talked my father-in-law into joining. It was a defining moment in his life, it changed for the better and he now says he cannot figure out what made him do what he used to do with the booze and drugs. He also gave up the cigars, he is so much happier and healthy nowdays.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Remember when?

I remember: 39 cents a gallon gasoline.

A milk machine across the street where you could get a quart
of milk for 25 cents.

Raspberry and cream turnovers.

Vicks cough drops (cherry flavored) for 10 cents a box.

My 1963 Dodge Dart.

Wax Lips.

Ribbon Candy ( I hated that stuff )

Three speed bikes.

A box of cookies for eleven cents.

My brother and I walking along the railroad tracks
to Sunday school, and picking up discarded soda bottles to
trade them in for candy at the little store.

When my mother's hair was brown.

When my hair was brown.

When I first discovered coloring books.

When I carried newspapers in a big canvas bag, and
delivered them 7 days a week all year long.

My first kiss, on the hay ride. I was 16.

My mom making home made popcorn with butter.

The laundry chute from the second floor to the cellar.

Oil fired boilers and steam radiators.

My dad and his brother playing cribbage 'til dawn.

The original Outer Limits TV show.

How glad I am to have been a part of Sharkey's site.
Got love? Give love.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nice!
Wherever I am...I am home.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Really nice, Rudy. I have always said the worst thing I could ever loose from getting old would be my memories.

I also hate ribbon candy but always expected it in my Christmas stocking. It would get all broken into small pieces and lint would get stuck all over it...and even though I didn't like ribbon candy, it made my Christmas stocking smell like Christmas.

I like wax lips...and I'm not ashamed to say I still buy them...and yes, wear them in public :D

I remember when my mom used to send us kids to the store to buy her cigarettes. Now they card people who are obviously 60 yrs old.

I remember waking up one Christmas morning, sneaking out into the living room to check under the tree but it was empty. I worried Santa had missed our house so I sat on the couch looking out the window trying to see through the snowstorm out there. Suddenly I could see a silloutte through the snow flakes coming up the sidewalk and I thought it was Santa. I got so excited that I was actually going to meet him...only for him to get close enough for me to see that it was my drunk dad so I ran back to my bed so he wouldn't know I had been up.

I remember wearing a wig to school in 5th grade. I was playing the part of Dolly in our school play "Hello Dolly" but I thought I looked so good in that long wig...why not just wear it? And why not carry the umbrella, too? Well, I found out that day that Chicago in the 60's was not a place to do that :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

In the late 60's my dad would give me a dollar to ride my bike to a gas station called economy oil I would get him 3 packs of pall mall reds and have enough left over to get a coke and penny candy, but I had to carry a empty coke bottle with me to save the 2 cent deposit
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

ezrablu wrote:...I like wax lips...and I'm not ashamed to say I still buy them...and yes, wear them in public...
No pics, it didn't happen...Image
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

doh!

Even my dogs wears them...
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Thanks Griff (!)

I just lost some more innocence. <g>
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

ezrablu wrote:doh!

Even my dogs wears them...
Ezra, Your remarkable, that was great :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

Ezra, you just made my day! That's hilarious! (...and yer little dog, too, my pretty!) Image
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Ezrablu, your more fun than a barrel of monkeys, maybe even two barrels