Solstice Full Moon Eclipse

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

GoodClue

Solstice Full Moon Eclipse

Post by GoodClue »

Hello all ... Happy Solstice:!:

I took these pics last night through my bus skylight ... ( :!: Yes Rudy, these are my pics through my bus skylight that I AM living in :wink: ) from about 10:30 PM to 3:30 AM ... I've resized and only posted a few ...What an event:!:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

They can't rival NASA pics, but what fun taking them :lol:

Below a NASA quote on the experience:

"A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice ... is unusual." Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on 2094 DEC 21." NASA :!:
GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Way cool pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Got love? Give love.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

GOOD CLUE how large is your skylight, and by the way nice pictures. I missed it went to bed early that night. THANKS enjoyed the pics
splummer

Post by splummer »

thanks for posting doug, i also missed it ,was hoping to see it ,but as ussually it was overcast with snow :cry:
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

AWESOME photos, GoodClue! I missed the eclipse because we were having another white out snowstorm. Could barely see past my headlights. I was hauling the Amish neighbor guys sawmill motor to an Amish repair shop. I felt like Gilligan...what should have taken 20 minutes ended up a 4 hour tour.

What kind of camera did you use for this? Thank you for posting these! So now winter has officially started....longer days ahead :o
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
GoodClue

Solstice ...

Post by GoodClue »

Hello all ...

Glad I could take and share the pics ... follows my pagan leanings ... about 3 AM the coyotes let loose, we all howled and danced, even my cat Hopper ... was a great eve ...

Rudy, always a pleasure ...

Ezrablu ... an Olympus SP590UZ .. neat point and shoot w/25 Xs optical zoom, greater w/digital zoom, 12 megapixels ... got it for $300 a few years back when I needed to upgrade but couldn't afford to buy the new digital SLRs ... does most things I need for now ... been talking with Stuart and his new system but my next upgrade will be to my video equipment ... Ezra, would like to talk with you sometime about independent film scripts, you have some very neat life experiences, as do many alternative lifestyle people. would be great real life vids ...

Steve ... I knew many would miss the event, happy to share.

Graydawg ... the skylight is my old bus rear door w/window, so approx 18"x30" window size ... skinned the frame and layed it on my re-built roof frame, oxy-acetylene welded the skin ... tight tin can, man :wink:
"ya gotta have art ..."
dburt

Post by dburt »

I stayed up until 1:30 am to see it, the sky was clear, the red moon was straigh up overhead, now I have been there, done that- but failed to get the t-shirt to prove it!

Back in about 1970 there was a full eclipse of the sun. I was living in S Texas and had been inside a building all morning and forgot about the eclipse. When I went outside, the eclipse was full blown. But- having forgot about it, I could not figure out why things were so dark even though it was noon, and not a cloud in the sky. My first thought was that maby something was going wrong with my eyes :cry: !

Thankfully someone said "wow, look at the sun- the eclipse is full right now" and I was able to return to a feeling or normal :lol: !
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Goodclue,
Video may not exactly be what you want. This guy uses a Canon EOS5 with various lenses. I'm thinking I would love to have his setup. Second site is his place. He did a Famous Footwear commercial I have seen.

If DSLR will do this, I think I won't need video equipment - just money.

Twisted Metal is interesting. Disturbing, but interesting.

It's called "Reverie" on smugmug if this link doesn't work. Pretty easy to find.

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/galle ... gxvY-XL-LB

http://www.laforetvisuals.com/#mi=1&pt= ... &a=-1&at=0
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Stealth Camper wrote:Goodclue,
Video may not exactly be what you want. This guy uses a Canon EOS5 with various lenses. I'm thinking I would love to have his setup.
Actually, this guy uses alot more than just a 5D and various lenses. Even if it was just camera and lenses, you could buy a lot of gear for what his lenses are worth., But in addition he aso uses cranes, helicopters, various focus and zoom pulling gear, lighting, and video and sound post production stuff too.

For what he is doing, he is doing at a low budget, but for most people that would cost a lot to do. And it is also worth remembering that he has been a top professional stills photographer for years, befor he started doing 5D video, so he has an extensive skill base to start with.

There is no doubt about it, the 5D is a very nice camera, I have a 5D mk2 and I like it a lot, but it is not the be all and end all. It suits what I want out of a camera, but there is a lot of stuff that a video camera would be more suited to.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Somewhere on his web site he mentions one of the lens he uses and I looked it up. Cost is about $14,500 US. I suspect I won't get there anytime soon...

Have a brother who is professional photog and he keeps directing me toward Nikon - can't remember what model - but he says I should be able to get closer to what I want for about $1,700 US.

I want the helicopter, too!!
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I must drive people crazy with my crappy cell phone photos :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
GoodClue

pics

Post by GoodClue »

Ezrablu ... there are no crappy pics ... for years I did drawings ... wish I'd had a camera for all my travels but I still love to draw, paint ... being able to take a pic with anything and share is what it's all about ... and thanks, I looked up your http://www.freesmileys.org site :wink:
Goodclue
"ya gotta have art ..."
splummer

Post by splummer »

doug ,you are so rite, the same goes for music
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began