AND HAPPY NEW...

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

AND HAPPY NEW...

Post by Sharkey »

... roof jacks:

As I have mentioned, the previous owners of this place couldn't do anything right. Unfortunately, they decided to save themselves some money and re-roof the house themselves.

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've been taking advantage of the few days without rain to install some "sun tunnel" skylights. This has necessitated removing and reinstalling quite a number of roof shingles, so I've got the technique down to a science. None of my installations leaked in the very wet days that followed.

I did notice a wet spot along the kitchen wall a couple of days ago, and figured that the sink or laundry vent flashing was leaking again. The Okies had put the vent flashing down on the tar paper before shingling and then put the asphalt 3-tab shingles over the flashing jacks, using lots of sealant to keep the water out instead of making the flashings part of the layers of shingles as is supposed to be done. I had put roof goo on it the past couple of years to keep the water out, but overlooked that chore this fall. I decided that it was time to do away with this problem for once and for all, so I bought some new flashing jacks and this morning ripped out all of old trashy stuff and put it all right.

You can see a couple of the sun tunnels in the right hand side of the photo above.

In order to work right at the edge of the roof, I needed to create the "Andamio de la muerte" so I didn't have my ass hanging off the rain gutter for hours:

And, while I'm on a roll, here's how the inside of the house looks on a typical dingy-grey cloudy Oregon afternoon. The inside of the house is illuminated only by light from the windows and the five sun tunnels:

Can't wait to get the last of the drywall done so I can paint the walls, ceiling and floors and get rid of 40 years worth of cigarette smoke, dirt, stains, and grunge!
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Looks good Sharkey. Happy New Year!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Thats a great space Sharkey. Hey, That was the same sacfolding I used when I fell off the roof last year so be careful Sharkey. Tie those ladders to the soffit so they can't kick out. 11 feet wasn't that high but it took me a loooooong time to hit the ground 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

That's a nice big room. You could set up a good sized model train set. That sure would be fun. Have a band on the weekends, and charge people to listen to the music and play with the trains.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

CHOO! CHOO! :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I like the way you did the roof repairs correctly Sharkey- but it is always a hassle to redo someone else's sloppy work. And I really like the sun tunnels you put in to bring some sunshine into the whole room thru the roof! Only an Oregonian from the west side can truly appreciate such an addition! :)