Brake Help

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

DIY pressure bleeder:

$9.99 hardware store garden sprayer, junkyard master cylinder cap with a small hose-to-hose bulkhead fitting drilled and fitted into the cylinder cap's vent hole. Put a quart or two of clean brake fluid in the sprayer, pump the handle a few times and bleed away!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Sharkey, you sure are the wizard behind that curtain.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Again, you da bomb Boss :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

That's pretty slick. I actually made one of these using a jar. I made holes in the lid for a valve stem from an inner tube and a hose that fits tightly in the lid and goes to the bottom of the jar.You have to pump it up with a bike pump. It's a low tech cheapo trick. For the price, the sprayer setup looks awesome. I haven't figured out the cap part for the split reservoir on this bus yet. I've mostly done alot of gravity bleeding which is slow and I suspect may leave some bubbles behind.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

When I said ride the brakes lightly for a while I meant ride them lightly enough to have the linings connect but not so hard so as to cause a wheel to lock up.

Since you are working on a budget I would try all of the cheap fixes before I spent any $$$.

It may be a recurring problem but if you can get it to stop grabbing every time I wouldn't be pulling a wheel until you can't get it to stop grabbing.
teamgreen

Post by teamgreen »

I appreciate the advice. I fully intend to drive it around and see if it gets better. I was just making sure you understood that the wheel was locking up extremely easily. Now that I think of it, the first time I noticed this, I jacked it up and spun the wheel by hand. If I spun it fast enough, it would actually grab,stop and then roll FREELY backwards! That's with no pressure.That time, I bled the brakes, checked out the bearings, and readjusted the brakes. Then I drove it 75 miles and I thought it was OK till I moved it a week later. Then it was the other side. Anyway, I'm sure I'm repeating myself. I have plenty of ideas for things to check. Thanks