Can-tenna

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Can-tenna

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

This thing is the bomb 8) Our own Ezrablu turned me on to this great little device and it works great. The best 65 bucks I spent lately :D Yes folks, The "Can-Tenna" It wont slice or dice a tomato but you can watch someone else slice and dice one on the food network from your free wifi 8) I got mine from this guy Hugh on ebay and I had a little trouble loading the driver for windows 7 and he helped me out until it was right. Hugh is a good guy so here's his link http://cgi.ebay.com/CANTENNA-KIT-TRIPOD ... 9268366452

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Looks like a good deal, I've done some reading on these and often thought about building one, never got around to it. The original cantenna was made from a Pringels can.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Dennis, I was all set to question your sanity for spending $65 on a soup can, but after looking at the ad, I see that some other parts are included to make this a complete wifi adaptor for your computer.

"Cantenna" is the common name for a waveguide antenna, which are about the easiest type of antenna for a home experimenter to construct. Sice wifi frequencies are 2.4 GHz, the size of the can and the active element inside are very conveniently small.

I've built several of these antennas, although I use 3" copper pipe with copper sheet silver brazed to close the one open end. Copper is much better for corrosion resistance, the antenna pictured above would be fine for indoor use, but would rust quickly if used outside.

Waveguide antennas can be made in ¼, ½, and full wave configurations. The photo below shows one of each. I've posted these photos here before, but here they are again. I use old satellite dishes that have been slightly modified to act as parabolic reflectors, boosting the total gain to somewhere around 14db (a 25 times increase in power). The first three antennas are shown on the front porch of my old house with a commercially manufactured mesh antenna for comparison. Performance of these antennas was identical to the commercial antenna.

The largest of my antennas uses a 10 GHz microwave reflector and a full-wave waveguide antenna.

If your "cantenna" helps, but isn't quite enough to pull in weak signals, consider putting a reflector on it. Even a small "dish network" type reflector will help a whole lot.

One note: if used outdoors, you ~must~ somehow cover the open end of the antenna. If you don't water will get inside and foul things up and insects (particularly wasps and spiders) will make it a home, degrading your signal. Just wrapping some saran wrap over the end and securing it with a rubber band is a good temporary solution, although the sun will degrade those materials quickly. "Tyvek" type house wrap and a stainless steel hose clamp are purported to be a permanent solution.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Great info Sharkey. It seems to work great through the windshield
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.