Drive Mode

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Drive Mode

Post by Rudy »

Here's a safe topic. When you are getting ready to travel with your machine, what do you secure, and what are the methods you use to get things in "drive mode?"

Tonight, I have used screws and Silicone sealant to make sure some of my items can remain on my desk and not fly in transit.

Silicone is tenacious in it's holding power.
Got love? Give love.
dburt

Post by dburt »

You can always put loose items like coffee pots, salt and pepper shakers, etc in the sink. Now if you have watched 'The Long Long Long Trailer' with Lucy and Desi, then you know that the oven is a good place to store your favorite rocks :shock:

More loose stuff can be put in cardboard boxes and put on the floor, up agaist something like a dinette booth seat, or attached chair so the box does not slide around in case of a panic stop.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

When sailing:

Anything incredibly valuable gets packed and stored carefully. Anything not so gets dumped into bins/cupboards/drawers which are then latched securely or retained by netting. Anything that might become a dangerous projectile gets heavily secured - actually that includes most of it... The rest takes it chances. Heavy stuff is more dangerous (of course). Beware of bouncing (sharp up and down motion) - it causes as much trouble as the back and forth and it's easy to overlook.

Rufus
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I have an assortment of plastic 'milk carton' crates, from full size down to about 8" x 8" x 8". Also fill the sink. I carry couple gallons of water for drinking and flushing if no hookups available. They go in the tub, along with a laundry basket full of miscellaneous.

Some stuff just gets to bounce. And I get to pick it up off the floor if it bounces too hard. Usually rides ok, though.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Most of this is what I do but I did just pick up a package of childproof latches for my cabinet doors cuz they would open once in a while on a turn. A pack of 10 were about 5 bucks in the infant department of walmart
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

It's amazing how much stuff I have had to secure. I've got my Studio/Workstation done. It sits atop my 8 foot wide desk in the front of the bus.

I have used a combination of screws, bungee cord, silicone caulk to secure the three stained glass lamps, the iMac computer which is the brains of my recording studio, the laptop which is my internet computer, the indoor/outdoor thermometer, the external hard drive and also the CD writer for my studio, the scanner radio, and also the subwoofer for the studio.

The monitor speakers and the studio rack gear are already in drive mode.

Now on to the back of the bus for all the kitchen stuff, especially the microwave unit.

Pics will come soon. This job I have done may not be the prettiest, but I will always be ready to travel because I have secured my stuff very well.

I am happy about that.
Got love? Give love.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

The microwave will be the easiest, just toss it out. They do nasty things to what was good food.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Rudy I'm really looking forward to your pictures! Do you have a website or floor plan you can share?
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Headache wrote:Rudy I'm really looking forward to your pictures! Do you have a website or floor plan you can share?
Alex, there are many pics of my bus here.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=965
Got love? Give love.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I don't know how I could have missed that Rudy but I did. I just got done perusing the entire thread. What an adventure!

One thing that came to mind for me is with the music genres you prefer and your background, everything you were describing about yourself just screamed New Orleans to me.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I have secured much of the things in my bus.

Today I am going to buy four, five gallon diesel plastic fuel cans. I am going to fill them up and transfer that fuel to my 60 gallon fuel tank on the bus. I presently have a half tank of fuel.

I will fill up my tank and keep the extra fuel cans full. That will give me 80 gallons on board. At close to 10 miles per gallon, it will get me to my next destination.

It was a toss up of getting the bus registered and insured today or getting fuel.

Registration and insurance is not going up in price within a month. Fuel prices are. The choice is clear.

I am running out of things to sell to fund this trip. I hope to get a loan.
Got love? Give love.