Multi-Fuel Engines

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Aside from the settling and filtering, one could also warm the oil and use a centerfuge like this one, which filters about 55 gallons per hour.

Another method is floculation of the soot particles using methanol.
DF
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

When considering "Old truckers tricks", keep in mind that back in the day, there was anywhere from 1,500 to 5,000 ppm of sulfur in the fuel, al lot of lubricity that doesn't exist in today's fuel. As a result, introducing microscopically-fine metal particles to your fuel system is probably a bad idea.

Heating fuel before sending it into a diesel injection system is not a good idea, either, as the flow of excess fuel through an injection pump is partially intended to regulate the internal temperature of the pump. Heated fuel will interfere with this.

Using WCO from unknown sources is an even worse idea, you won't know what all else the oil will contain, coolant, fuel dilution, etc. Remember, the old truckers used to think that adding a few gallons of gasoline to your diesel was a great way to keep diesel #2 from gelling. Very bad idea these days, particularly with ECM systems controlling injection window timing.

Another thing to consider when feeding modern diesel engines is that some of them have emissions control systems that could be fooled or even damaged by pollutants in non-fuel compounds. Poisoning the catalytic converter comes to mind quickly.

It's probably equally possible to run your diesel on rat poison but why would you want to????? The few dollars you might save by dumping anything you can get your hands onto into the fuel tank are hardly worth potential engine damage, reliability issues and engine longevity problems, not to mention very likely pollution resulting from running a non-ASTM certified fuel. If you are using the vehicle for commercial purposes, there is also the issue of road fuel taxes, which are due on any alternate fuels used in a blend of more than 2%.

A lot of liability to save ½ cent per mile in expenses over the life of an engine.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

HHO hydrogen SEMI Truck system almost ready to go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzv0epu ... r_embedded
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Whoa!
I think we need a sanity check here.
Mr. Sharkey's point is don't use used motor oil to save money on fuel for your new diesel engine. I would agree. In fact, I don't know anybody, commercial, or otherwise who has a new or newer (read computer controlled injector pump) who would even consider putting waste motor oil into their fuel tanks. Perhaps the reason for this, is if they can afford the new ride, they can afford the fuel.
That said, seeing as it is a thread about multi-fuel engines. Namely the LDS 465 military standard engine, that came in the M35 or M44 series Army trucks, I'd say its safe to rule out any of the above objections. They simply don't have computers, nor delicate injection pumps. The LDS series was designed to operate on a wide range of viscosities, anywhere from gasoline to 10w oil.
One cannot expect long term sucess, by pouring motor oil directly into the tank. One can operate a diesel engine whose injector pump has a specific gravity compensator, like that of the LDS series OR a Stanadyne DB2 series (like that which comes on a 6.2 or 6.9 liter diesel), on used motor, indefinitely, IF the oil is clean.
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

To clean the oil, one has to remove the acid, metals, and soot. This can be done cheaply. The cost per gallon for cleaning oil to use as fuel can be brought down to pennies per gallon, depending on the scale. If its a one off experiment, its not worth it. If its a question of making several thousand gallons per year, then the infrastructure investment is worth considering.
The main reason for doing such a thing, is because one could not afford to buy fuel otherwise. Its simple survival. Some areas don't have public transportation, or sidewalks. Some places require vehicular travel, even if its kept to a bare minimum.
At any rate, the job can be done, and done sucessfully, but like all things, alternative, its not easy, or convienent.
BPJ
dburt

Post by dburt »

My '07 Dodge 6.7L Cummins 1-ton pickup 4X4 dually flatbed is my work truck, and I don't use anything but straight pump diesel in it because I cannot afford to ruin a particulate filter or cat converter or some electronic control or the pump or injectors. What to do with such high fuel prices? :shock:

I just don't drive it unless there is job or reason the fuel cost will be paid for by the job or someone or someplace else then my skinny wallet. :lol: If we can't go in the wife's small GMC pickup or my old beater car, I figure I really don't need to go badly enough to drive the big pickup.

The other day I picked up at auction an '04 Nissan UD 1400 14-ft box truck with a 4.6L 4-cylinder diesel engine with an auto-overdrive transmission that just came off a lease to a paint distibutor with 131,000 miles on the odometer. The idea was to resell it with (hopefully) a little profit in the deal to help the cash flow and pay the bills.

I don't know much about Nissan diesel engines, and of course I began to think of how handy this truck would be for a stealth camper, and to haul things in (it has a nifty electric over hydraulic tuck-away liftgate in the back) but I began to wonder about the merits of the Nissan diesel engine. Anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with them?
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Therein lies the rub, as they say. Before I poured homemade fuel into an '07 anything, I'd have to dig deep into the books and find out all that Cummins or Nissan, etc., had to say about their fuel and emission systems. The learning curve is huge and could lead to a dead end. There are no easy answers anymore.
One thing to remember, we make fuel for the vehicle. The plant is on the ground, not on the vehicle. Refinerys don't travel with the vehicle. This means that inspite of the vehicle's specifications, one has to make fuel for them, thats how its done. We don't adapt the vehicle for the fuel (unless its woodgas). Knowing that, its really a question of time and money. Most folks just don't have the time or interest in learning what it takes to do the job right, consequently, all these old trucker short cuts.
The answer will become more and more urgent too, as fuel prices continue to rise. This is the first year in 9 years of making fuel, that I am making more fuel for others then I am for myself. In fact, customers seek me out now, and bring feedstock. That never happened before and illustrates how things are changing. I have always kept a low profile.

It really is a brave new world.
BPJ
Jesper The Dane

Post by Jesper The Dane »

dburt said: 04 Nissan UD 1400 14-ft box truck with a 4.6L 4-cylinder diesel engine with an auto-overdrive transmission. 131,000 miles. Electric over hydraulic tuck-away liftgate in the back.

In Europe Nissan engines has a very good reputation for being reliable and strong. But as all japanese motors, they are made to small tolerances, and therefore require the rigth fuel and a good motor oil to get that long lasting performance.

The one you got seems to be called: FD46. 4617cc. DOHC 24-valve. 135 PS (99.3 kW; 133.2 bhp) @ 3000 RPM. 33.5 kg·m (329 N·m; 242 lb·ft) @ 1800 RPM.

The truck is probably a Nissan Atlas, right?