Free Wifi?

For anything that doesn't fit the other forums.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Free Wifi?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Im gonna hooker up in a few days
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

You got it! WAY COOL! I've been anxiously waiting for you to post something on it. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE! I think this is the answer to free internet out on my land. I won't have to pay for phone service either then. Life just keeps getting "free-er" by the day for me :thumbup:

P.S. Please tell me about the quality...is it constructed well with good materials?
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

That parabolic antenna will have quite a lot more gain than the simple waveguide antenna (cantenna) that you've been using. One thing to watch out for is that these antennas tend to get waterlogged and quit working. the feedhorn at the end of the rectangular standoff has a black plastic "tee", which seems to accumulate rainwater in spite of having weep holes drilled in it. When this happens, your signal strength will plummet.

I used one of these to send internet to my house when I lived in the city. I had two of them and about every three or four months in the winter, I'd have to swap them, and put the feedhorn part of the antenna in my shop to dry out after I shook the water out of it. There would be so much moisture that it would make sloshing sounds when it was shaken.

Remember that these antennas can't pull WiFi out of thin air, there still has to be a nearby access point, but they will greatly improve reception of any existing signals that are out there.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Please tell me about the quality...is it constructed well with good materials?
I think it looks well made and looks as tuff as something like this can be and still be light wait.
One thing to watch out for is that these antennas tend to get waterlogged and quit working. the feedhorn at the end of the rectangular standoff has a black plastic "tee", which seems to accumulate rainwater in spite of having weep holes drilled in it.

I'd have to swap them, and put the feedhorn part of the antenna in my shop to dry out after I shook the water out of it. There would be so much moisture that it would make sloshing sounds when it was shaken.
Do you think I can seal it up better with silicone some how before I put it up?
Peace along the way
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

My land is located on the highest point in the area with plenty of open access points to choose from. I was just worried my little cantenna wouldn't be able to pull from so far away...but with "town" only being 3 miles away and a clear shot...this antenna should work perfect for me. Also, Dennis...if not silicone, we should be able to fix it that possible leak problem with something like in the photo Rudy posted...

ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Why didn’t I think about that, I always go to the worst case scenario first :roll: Im so messed up like dat :wink:
Peace along the way
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed